Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 03:44 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times

Advertisements

Seems every stinkin' new car these days has a big intrusive center console. Auto makers think it's so cool, but I just find them too big and limiting my legroom.

Another peeve of mine is that headlamp assemblies these days are polycarbonate, which eventually looks like crap unless you manage to keep it out of the sun (something difficult to do in sunny Phoenix.) If they were made out of tempered glass, they'd stay clear and shiny. They don't care or give a cr%p.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 05:28 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
1. Good point. I can't really truly complain about the console in my SuperCrew, but the captains chairs aren't nearly as comfortable/supportive as the bench seat in my SuperCab F150. I used to take the company Chevy HHR for lab runs at a past employer and that console was right up against my leg, too.

2. Cost. Plastics are cheap and it helps support Big Oil (throwing a bone to conspiracy types in here) and their diverse offerings of products made from petroleum rather than costly glass headlamps getting broken and probably having to be replaced under warranty.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:43 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
If you find a car with soft seats let me know. Ever car I sit in feels like I am sitting on bleachers.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:04 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Agreed. I like a bench seat myself. You can still get a bench seat with heated leather on full-size pickups. Center consoles do have pretty good storage though.

For soft seats, look into a Toyota Avalon.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:36 PM

Hard seats are a consistent complain but nobody seems to listen. Reminds me of when Europeans were refusing to put cup holders in their cars destined for the US market because they knew better. Now, I am not talking about sofa beds but what is wrong with a little fluff?

Old 12-01-2014, 08:57 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
"big intrusive center console" agreed!! There are a couple of models we like, but spouse does not like them because the front center console makes the front seat feel cramped.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
The console exists because the buyers demanded them, so they thought "let's make them bigger" and now they are ridiculous and waste seat space. The polycarbonate lenses are cheap to manufacture and lightweight, they will not be going way. You have to either trade it in after 4-5 years or pay $200 each+ for replacements. The haze polishes up nicely with several products made for that purpose, but once the inside tarnishes, in most cases you can't get inside to buff it out.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:27 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
My complaint is this move towards infotainment display that is the radio, navigation, heat/AC control, and anything else they can think to add. I like my stuff separate for a reason. Think of a stereo system. At one time you could buy it all in one unit. It had a turn table, CD player, dual cassette, AM/FM stereo, and at one time an 8 track player. What was wrong with that was if one part went bad you either chucked the whole thing and bought another or buy a component to replace the part of the all in one that broke. Turn table broke, either throw it out and buy another all in one or buy a turn table. But if you built up your system individually, you'd get a better system. Start with the receiver, add an amp, quality turn table, don't need to buy a CD player since that's also the DVD player, and if you still enjoy cassettes or 8 tracks then you could get those too. If one part of that system broke, you only replace that one component that broke. On a car, if the stereo head unit breaks, replace with a new head unit. If AC/heat control breaks, replace the control unit. Sat/nav should be a portable unit to take with you for whatever vehicle you choose to drive. Email, social networking web services, texting, etc should not be done while driving so leave that garbage out of the car.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The console exists because the buyers demanded them,
So there is demand for rock hard seats too?

Old 12-02-2014, 06:52 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
So there is demand for rock hard seats too?
Those soft overstuffed front seats in older American cars were fine for sofas, but not so good for cars and keeping you held in place in the right spot to be an effective driver. Sprawled out across a big old fluffy bench seat was bad for car control so they went away. Good riddance, I say. You want to sit on a living room sofa, stay home. I'm much more comfortbale in a firm seat with good lateral and thigh suport, but I'm not a lazy fatass, either.

I also much prefer a center console where all the controls are easily at hand, not spread across the dash where you have to lean forward to get to anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive