Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:52 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Even if the automaker did put in some warning devices, you know it would drive up the cost of the car. Anything that cost to do will be passed onto the consumer.
Yeah I am not really in favor of mandating such things, but as I get older I like having more safety features and I am willing to pay more for it. While I am a good safe driver (one minor fender bender on the ice in 35 years of driving) I want some backup features, especially with all the distractions in modern cars. A lot of premium cars have more of these safety features.
Anyway, my issue is more on 2 lane roads, not multi-lane where I can get over easily and do. I get tailgated on roads where it can be very difficult for me to get over because there is no shoulder for long distances. I usually drive above the speed limit btw and still have this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 09:16 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
My wife's Equinox had the Forward Collision Alert system that I set on the maximum distance between our car and the one in front. I try to drive so the red "crash" light does not come on, but it is useful occasionally by beeping and pre-pressurizing the brakes if it senses something in front is too close. Annoying if the car in front is turning though.

As for tailgaters to me, I just slow down until they back off or pass me when on the right lanes of a multi lane highways. If I'm in the left lane, I'll move over when I have room (meaning I don't have to slow down to squeeze in-between two cars in the right lane) and let the ass pass. I'd rather him get zapped by radar than me.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:23 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Why don't we have an automatic ticket dispensor that fines you when you exceed the speed limit by 10 mph or greater

Old 12-04-2014, 09:31 AM

15,073 posts, read 10,101,447 times
I am not a big fan of these devices.

The solution in my mind is to simply have the police enforce the current law

Tailgating

Old 12-04-2014, 09:34 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Why don't we have an automatic ticket dispensor that fines you when you exceed the speed limit by 10 mph or greater
Or put a speed limiter on ALL vehicles on the road. And it is tracked via GPS. You can only go as fast as the speed limit.

Big brother at work.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:50 AM

15,073 posts, read 10,101,447 times
I usually just downshift and slow down negating any advantage of tailgating me (of course not while in the passing lane).... they are pretty quick to figure out that its best just to pass me.

When I'm in a bad mood, I'll run a gear lower.... speed up... engine brake... speed up... engine brake... speed up engine brake. Keeps the tailgater on their toes.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:38 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
In Europe, the white "fog lines" on the right borders of roads are dashes with blank spaces every so often. (Rather than the solid white line we have here.)

The length of each white line is set to the speed on the road - the distance of each white line is how far you should be behind the vehicle in front of you!

Why can we do that sort of thing here? (I know, for the same reason they still install shower heads in bathrooms at the height of your nose! )

Yeah right.....lmao
It would be a waste of money painting those special lines, they would just be ignored.

Hell people don't even understand how to properly drive on multi-lane highways or Interstates. They don't pay attention to the "Move to the right lane if not passing, it's the law" signs in the states that have them. I just traveled I75 in Tennessee a couple of weeks ago and they have a "No left lane cruising law" and signs every few miles but yet there were still people constantly just cruising along in the left lane with traffic backed up a half mile behind them and people driving like idiots trying to get around them.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:31 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Yeah right.....lmao
It would be a waste of money painting those special lines, they would just be ignored.

Hell people don't even understand how to properly drive on multi-lane highways or Interstates. They don't pay attention to the "Move to the right lane if not passing, it's the law" signs in the states that have them. I just traveled I75 in Tennessee a couple of weeks ago and they have a "No left lane cruising law" and signs every few miles but yet there were still people constantly just cruising along in the left lane with traffic backed up a half mile behind them and people driving like idiots trying to get around them.
Not sure why this should surprise you, given the number of people who ignore the equally important speed limit law signs. Probably, in fact, those very people "driving like idiots trying to get around them".

Old 12-05-2014, 04:35 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default Long haul road camera packages

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
With all the radar systems being installed in cars for safety reasons such as blind spot monitors, lane departure warning systems, back up cameras and the like , what about a tailgater warning system that warns cars that are tailgating that they are following too close or maybe the car that is being tailgated having some kind of light flashing warning system warning the tailgater to back off?

Do you think anything like that is feasible in the near future?
The long haul road camera packages are now becoming pretty cheap;
for less than $1,000 US you can have excellent video from three or four
cameras going to your recorder.

There's just to much stupidity on the road. We just had a death on the main highway here right at the curve that I and my brother often pull over to let the vehicle line "blow" by us. There's a few twists and turns in a canyon and those who have had the pedal down don't like that, so when they come to the last turn they boot it and spin out.

On the bypass road I pulled over twice for pickups riding my backside through the Native Reserve, which is a 60 km. zone all the way. They both had ski-doos up top, which raises your centre of gravity of the vehicle.
You get into trouble or try to swerve to pass, and you're going to dump your truck. Especially if your hat is on backwards.

Look at it this way: repairs on your plastic 30,000 vehicle, a pretty average price nowadays, and protecting your good driving insurance rates, is pretty cheap if a camera system is under a grand.

Last edited by thedwightguy; 12-05-2014 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-05-2014, 08:14 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
With all the radar systems being installed in cars for safety reasons such as blind spot monitors, lane departure warning systems, back up cameras and the like , what about a tailgater warning system that warns cars that are tailgating that they are following too close or maybe the car that is being tailgated having some kind of light flashing warning system warning the tailgater to back off?

Do you think anything like that is feasible in the near future?
No, it implies more federal regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive