Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 04:13 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
You are talking a mid size to a full size pick up truck. The Colorado is GM's old S0 or Fords Ranger the Colorado has no V8 option. Put the 2 side by side in a pulling demo. See who comes out ahead. You are comparing apples to oranges. Sure the colorado is nice but it's a mid size pickup and the F150 is a full size truck.
I am not comparing anything. Motor Trend compared. My questions is, will the Colorado sell enough this time around to make it a long term viable model? Can it win enough hearts and wallets to make it a profitable venture.

In a completely different thread I have already dismantled MT's selection of the Ram 1500 as the winner in a comparison of the Ford, Chevy, and Ram trucks. My personal feelings of the Motor Trend awards should be pretty clear, if not completely irrelevant to the question. I think it is a subjective opinion-based process that ignores data and results for whatever they think will make a nice headline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 06:20 PM

35 posts, read 53,142 times
I was under the impression that the new Colorado was more intended for foreign markets where full size trucks are considered to be too large. If that is the case, then domestic sales may not be all that important.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:49 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
The first time I saw the Colorado it didn’t look particularly compact to me.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:06 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
GM is the only mid size domestic pick up truck maker and they are trying to take advantage of that. Dodge might come back with the Dakota in 2016. This is just like when GM and Ford let Chrysler have the minivan market.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:24 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
I have a Dakota and I consider it the true “midsize” truck.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:32 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
I used to own ONLY full size trucks. Back 14 years ago I decided I needed a midsize because I convinced myself I don't need the space, will get better mpg, more compact to park Etc. Never again will I buy a midsize for a primary vehicle. I went back to 3/4-1 ton and never looked backL The Colorado looks great on paper. I'm sure it will be more than satisfactory for most people. And it's lightyears away from its predecessor which imo was slapped together design. Will they sell more than the F150? Doubt it. The diesel version will sell a bit but imo f150 will still be king.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:18 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
I just drove the 2015 Colorado LT with the V6 and walked away with mixed feelings. I've never owned a truck or had a desire for one in the past but the smaller size (compared to full size trucks) and 4 cylinder fuel economy is attractive given that I've heard it also has a car like ride and good interior quality. After driving the truck I can say that the ride quality was ok (it's no worse than our 2009 Fusion which is a bit firm but I was expecting more given the early reviews and 6 year difference) and its size was very workable (turning radius is good too) but the interior left me disappointed as its covered in huge swaths of hard plastics. The dashboard has no soft touch materials and that doesn't change with the higher trim. Overall room was pretty good and the back seats aren't a penalty box. Although I wanted to test drive the 4cyl they only had the v6 on the lot and I was surprised by how under powered it seemed. It generally drove fine but low end power was lacking as I'm used to the low end torque offered by the turbo 4 cylinder on my Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I'm sure the V6 will do fine day to day but it didn't scream performance when I dug my foot in. I imagine the 4 cylinder Colorado will get the job done as long as you're not expecting anything peppy. I've read that the V6 performs best in the mid to high range rpm's so you have to let the truck wind up before it feels particularly athletic.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:20 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I just drove the 2015 Colorado LT with the V6 and walked away with mixed feelings. I've never owned a truck or had a desire for one in the past but the smaller size (compared to full size trucks) and 4 cylinder fuel economy is attractive given that I've heard it also has a car like ride and good interior quality. After driving the truck I can say that the ride quality was ok (it's no worse than our 2009 Fusion which is a bit firm but I was expecting more given the early reviews and 6 year difference) and its size was very workable (turning radius is good too) but the interior left me disappointed as its covered in huge swaths of hard plastics. The dashboard has no soft touch materials and that doesn't change with the higher trim. Overall room was pretty good and the back seats aren't a penalty box. Although I wanted to test drive the 4cyl they only had the v6 on the lot and I was surprised by how under powered it seemed. It generally drove fine but low end power was lacking as I'm used to the low end torque offered by the turbo 4 cylinder on my Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I'm sure the V6 will do fine day to day but it didn't scream performance when I dug my foot in.
Wait for the turbo diesel. There will be plenty of torque down low.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:50 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
GM just announced that they will be following Ford and be going all aluminum on the full-size trucks in 2018 so my6 guess is the new GMC/Chevy Refreshed for 2014 Base/Lower trim Ecotec V6 and V-8 trucks will be selling for a decent much lower price in 2015/2016 and the be taking alot of the potential Colorado Buyers away.

source: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...up-trucks.html

General Motors might be the next company to field an aluminum body pickup truck.

Ford revealed its massive gamble during the Detroit Auto Show last month, claiming to have zapped 700 lbs from the curb weight. The news of an aluminum F-150 – the best-selling truck in the U.S. – triggered a rush for aluminum supplies. According to the Wall Street Journal, General Motors is working on building an aluminum body for the next generation of Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra due in 2018.

The Detroit auto maker recently secured contracts with aluminum suppliers Novelis and Alcoa.

If GM goes ahead with building aluminum-bodied trucks, it could have an advantage in production over Ford. The F-150 body panels are riveted and bonded, but GM would likely weld the panels together using the same process already in place for smaller panels on other General Motors products. That process would reduce the material required and ostensibly the curb weight. It would also be a faster production process than what Ford is using.

Last edited by GTOlover; 12-07-2014 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive