Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:32 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times

Advertisements

I look more at the running and duty cycle of the engine than I do at time. If a vehicle is used for a lot of short trips when the engine does not reach and hold operating temperature, then I change the oil more often. If the vehicle is used in hard service--towing, dust, lots of idling--I will change the oil more often. If the vehicle sits, even for several months at a time, I don't worry about the oil.

For example, I know a company where a lot of their vehicles are run like crazy during the warm months, then sit parked for six months of the year. They don't worry about changing the oil every six months in those. But they will change the oil every 2K-3K miles in the summer because they run in very dusty conditions. Some of those vehicles are at 200K miles and counting without any major engine problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 10:42 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
I've seen varied results with changing the oil often vs not often and with regular oil vs synthetic. My opinion is just another one to add to the mix on this thread:

1) I'd follow the mileage schedule re: the maintenance. My background in Physics and Chemistry tells me that oil doesn't mysteriously breakdown without use and the measure of use for your vehicle is mileage. If your warrantee isn't going to suffer from this advice, then just wait until 5k miles is put on the vehicle from the last oil change. The exception to this rule is that you ought to check your oil level and color/smell every six months to try to detect any potential problems.

2) I'm a big fan of synthetic fluids (100% synthetic NOT Blends). They perform better at high and low temperatures alike. Since I've always operated my vehicles in extreme conditions/temperatures, I change out for synthetic whenever I can. The premium I pay for it is made up for me doing my own oil changes anyway.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:50 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
One other note--a lot of people are living in the past when they discuss oil change needs on vehicles. Back in the days when engines were carbureted, unburned fuel was a major contaminant in engine oil. Carbureted engines were horribly inefficient in combustion at idle and under low RPM conditions. The unburned gasoline could "wash" down the cylinder walls and get into the engine oil, drastically reducing is lubrication efficiency. So, vehicles that saw a lot of idling and puttering around town needed frequent oil changes. The fuel-injected engines that have been built in the last 15-20 years, by contrast, are very efficient in fuel combustion at idle and low RPM, so the amount of unburned fuel that enters the oil is very small. Those engines also have numerous features designed to get them to operating temperature quickly, which eliminates another source of unburned fuel getting into the oil.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:51 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
I am from the very OLD SCHOOL when it comes to engines and there are a couple that post who are a bit younger then me that will recall when sitting behind a car in traffic there would be some WHITE smoke coming out from under the engine.....and the engine could breathe.

What was that?.....actually condensation from the crankcase and not oil smoke.

So the car makers do a closed/sealed engine crankcase thus NO more white smoke......in some instances a problem created and with others NONE.

Factory manuals are printed to cover the AVERAGE drivers spread out over different climates.

Like my late mechanic dad (circa 1930-70) would say...." The Manual is not the Bible but just a Guideline".

As a former mechanic/engine builder/parts house owner of 28 yrs I adhered to that while also instilling that thinking to two mechanic sons.

Also will say that any oil change will make your engine HAPPY......heck, just one less 12 pack of Beer or a carton of cigs.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:22 PM

178 posts, read 282,198 times
No. It's your decision to decide to change oil every 6 months, not theirs!

Old 12-05-2014, 06:31 PM

3,507 posts, read 766,278 times
i also have an 09 corolla and i change oil every 5000 miles .. bout to hit 100.000 with zero issues ..

Old 12-05-2014, 06:53 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,528 times
My dad taught me that "they" make more money by suggesting an oil change at 3,000 miles, but that it's fine to go 5,000 miles.

I also learned recently to rotate your tires every 5,000 miles and I thought, "Oh, okay, I'll rotate my tires and have an oil change within the same week." (At least at Costco, if you buy tires from them, they rotate your tires for free.)

I'm 50 -- wish this had occurred to me a long time ago. Saves your tires to rotate.

Alley

Old 12-05-2014, 07:35 PM

635 posts, read 784,539 times
With fuel injection.Cars are a lot different.You can go a lot longer between oil changes then old cars could.
I like synthetic oil like mobil one. Then have your oil tested. Otherwise, your just wasting money.10.000 miles on synthetic isnt that crazy.
bobistheoilguy.com has much information about oil and changing it. What i wrote is his expert opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive