Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 02:13 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times

Advertisements

I haven't looked at cars in a few years, and I don't know if this is common now, or just a quirk of this dealership. I wanted to look at some new cars, didn't want to buy or take a test drive today, just get a better look than what you can see online. Lo and behold, the new cars were inaccessible behind the dealership (except for whatever was in the showroom). A young guy who probably worked in the shop, said you needed to get a salesperson to take you back there. Of course, I know I could have gotten one, and told him I just wanted to look around a little today. I just really didn't feel like going into the showroom, getting some help, and possibly get someone who would be a pest. It was just supposed to be a casual stop on my way to doing an errand. I just left and ran my errand and I was a little annoyed. First world problems, for sure. But is this how it is everywhere now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 02:17 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Definitely not around here in Colorado unless it is a really small dealership. It is great here in Colorado because dealerships are closed on Sundays. So, if you just want to walk the lot looking at cars, go on a Sunday and nobody will be there to harass you.

Saying that, I've seen some dealerships that are so small, they only have a few cars on display to begin with and they are generally an 'order from here' type dealership. I think of Tesla. Our Tesla dealership is in a Mall and they only have 1 Model S on display. If you want to test drive one, you set up an appointment and they will have one there for you to drive. If you want to buy one, it is all done on-line.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:29 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Yes online or when the dealer is closed.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:34 PM

Yeah, I used to do the Sunday thing, but at this lot it looks like you couldn't get back there. I may try somewhere else on Sunday. I don't know what it is about looking around without a salesperson even there at first, but I can think better that way!

Old 12-04-2014, 02:37 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
That is weird, most dealerships are in the business to sell and repair cars. It would make no sense to have them behind the place unless they were not for sale. They could have been fleet vehicles waiting to be picked up?
I would think only overstock would be out back.....
Was this a busy street in a city where the casual passerby might feel tepted to sit on the hood while waiting for the bus?
Was this in Ferguson?
Where these high end expensive cars? I could see the dealer keeping these back from the general public. When I sold cars it was amazing how people would squeeze between cars or worse bring their dogs with them to shop.

It is weird to hide what you are trying to sell.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:44 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Yeah, I used to do the Sunday thing, but at this lot it looks like you couldn't get back there. I may try somewhere else on Sunday. I don't know what it is about looking around without a salesperson even there at first, but I can think better that way!
That is seriously strange. I wonder if it was in a high crime area? A real risk of theft is the only reason I can think of not allowing customers to looky-loo on the lot. I mean, it wasn't a huge deal for most customers to say "just looking, not interested in driving" to me as a salesperson. I know that some stores would even have the keys in all of the vehicles on Saturdays. The store I worked at didn't, as they had too many cars and keys to keep track of, and it was ultimately a theft risk. But to keep the cars locked away from the customer? Strange. The stores WANT customers on the lot looking, even on Sundays.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:46 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That is weird, most dealerships are in the business to sell and repair cars. It would make no sense to have them behind the place unless they were not for sale. They could have been fleet vehicles waiting to be picked up?
I would think only overstock would be out back.....
Was this a busy street in a city where the casual passerby might feel tepted to sit on the hood while waiting for the bus?
Was this in Ferguson?
Where these high end expensive cars? I could see the dealer keeping these back from the general public. When I sold cars it was amazing how people would squeeze between cars or worse bring their dogs with them to shop.

It is weird to hide what you are trying to sell.
It's probably a sales tactic. You have to get a salesman so you're going to get a sales pitch. I went to a Carmax like this once. You had to go through the building to get to the lot and there are about 10 salesman standing there ready to pounce. Very annoying.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:46 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
The back lot may be packed in tight and if people were allowed to mill around back there they could cause a bunch of door dings. OR, if riff raff get back there, stuff like floor mats, tonneau covers, stuff like that may come up missing. So they'd rather you only look at what they have up front. Deal with it or don't.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:47 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
We learned that they "staked" out the used car lot here on Sunday, a major dealership's " least expensive lot. At first he said "Well, I was waiting for someone that didn't show up." but then, as we talked, he said "We're you here 3 weeks ago?" and, we were on a Sunday but didn't stay long and whoever (I'm guessing him) was talking on a cell phone and didn't move quick enough to capture us. He was also checking his calendar to see when he would be there again on a Sunday which is the best day for us to look anyway. Now, we aren't really comfortable going there. I cannot stand someone in my face when I am trying to look at something and make a decision on how to spend our money.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:59 PM

It's not at all a high crime area. It's a pretty small dealership, and I most likely would be going somewhere with a bigger selection to actually buy. I just wanted a better idea of the difference between the 2014 and 2015, basically. Good to know if I go somewhere bigger, I can likely see what I want on my own. I agree it seems odd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive