Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 05:57 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,510,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I certainly am serious. If the passing lane were clear then the speeding pickup could've used that lane exclusively, which would've eliminated the lane changes and the near-miss with the car in the right lane.
What's so unique about speeding - You think other cars/trucks couldn't do what this je$% was doing? You think only a few people know how to press gas pedal? These aholes just don't know how to drive and they think by doing this they get ahead - they don't most time and simply put everybody's life in danger. That was reckless BS I see it almost everyday. And they don't collide that often because 99.9% people drive safely and that's partly why you see only 0.1% collision. Imagine what happens if everybody starts driving like those Aholes? Don't you think collisions will increase substantially? Also keep speed limits away - it has nothing to do with speed limits. With the traffic flow I even go 75 in 55 but I think tailgating and lane changers (particularly in heavy traffic) should be dealt with more severity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 07:32 AM

78,674 posts, read 60,867,104 times
To the OP, I'm sure others have echoed these sentiments but here goes:

1) Hard to prove although had he collided with that car and witnesses stepped forth to testify then he could have been charged.

2) Reckless driving DOES carry penalties similar to a 1st offense DUI in most states.

3) Licensing is all well and good but you still have tons of people that drive unlicensed and uninsured. This is especially true in areas with large illegal populations. We had a teacher killed near here by an illegal teenager playing "fast and the furious" on the interestate.

4) Get the plate number and you can always call 911 and report a driver almost hitting cars and tearing down the interstate. Depending where you live, cops may catch them and may also just pay them a courtesy call to warn them.

Near here a guy two days in a row was almost hit by a guy going >100mph down the road weaving through traffic. They called the cops who set up a speed trap at the location expecting futility....nope....busted the guy.

5) The driving you describe I rarely see. Generally, the sh*tty dangerous driving I see involves a cell phone.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:41 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,375,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
What's so unique about speeding - You think other cars/trucks couldn't do what this je$% was doing? You think only a few people know how to press gas pedal? These aholes just don't know how to drive and they think by doing this they get ahead - they don't most time and simply put everybody's life in danger. That was reckless BS I see it almost everyday. And they don't collide that often because 99.9% people drive safely and that's partly why you see only 0.1% collision. Imagine what happens if everybody starts driving like those Aholes? Don't you think collisions will increase substantially? Also keep speed limits away - it has nothing to do with speed limits. With the traffic flow I even go 75 in 55 but I think tailgating and lane changers (particularly in heavy traffic) should be dealt with more severity.

Exactly. My issue is that lots of people seem to be saying that the problem is that left lane wasn't clear, not that the pickup was driving very recklessly.

The fact is that when this pickup is on a smaller road or in another condition where there is NOT a high speed passing lane, he is STILL going to be driving like an impatient, reckless A-hole and putting everyone around in danger. Does anyone think they pickup driver drives safely in residential areas, intersections, etc?

As far as clearing the left lane as the answer...
What happens when there is a left-lane exit on the thruway? These a-holes don't care. Your in their "way". They don't care that there is an exit up ahead and then the normal, safe drivers have to deal with trying to merge into the high speed lane at a high rate of speed to avoid a rear end collision and then deal with being tailgated or passed on the right while they drive to their left lane exit.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:01 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,244,877 times
We don't need more traffic laws, we don't need stricter traffic laws. If you are that concerned with reckless drivers (drunk or non) perhaps you should find transportation alternatives or hone your defensive driving skills. Whining, complaining and asking government to solve your issues will not work.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:08 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,479,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
We don't need more traffic laws, we don't need stricter traffic laws. If you are that concerned with reckless drivers (drunk or non) perhaps you should find transportation alternatives or hone your defensive driving skills. Whining, complaining and asking government to solve your issues will not work.
We need much stronger enforcement of ALL the ones we already have, that's for sure. Without that, more won't make a whit of difference. And there will always be those who think they're on an F-1 track AND that they are competent drivers when neither is the case; those will always be with us.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
What happens when there is a left-lane exit on the thruway? These a-holes don't care. Your in their "way". They don't care that there is an exit up ahead and then the normal, safe drivers have to deal with trying to merge into the high speed lane at a high rate of speed to avoid a rear end collision and then deal with being tailgated or passed on the right while they drive to their left lane exit.
If you know where you are going then you will know that eventually you will have to be in that lane. If you can't make it into the lane that's likely your problem for not planning ahead and making a lane change far before you approach the exit. I have little sympathy for the "last second" mergers, if you miss your exit, you miss it, not the end of the world.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,154,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If we all agree on a particular speed that is appropriate on a roadway where there are people with varying capabilities and vehicles that vary, and we make that the speed limit on that particular roadway, and everyone obeys the law then we don't have a bunch of people guessing what speed everyone else is driving or what is appropriate.
It's the exact situation we have now except your not enforcing minimum speed limits. That's completely impractical, unenforceable and unneeded. People are going to travel at different speeds and the best way to keep accidents at a minimum is enforce laws that prevent the disruption of the flow of traffic.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,154,252 times
Quote:
Exactly. My issue is that lots of people seem to be saying that the problem is that left lane wasn't clear, not that the pickup was driving very recklessly.
Yes that is a poor driving habit and he should be cited. However what often leads to that is people in the left lane that don't belong there. By enforcing left lane laws you will eliminate many of the other poor driving habits.

Any idea how many times I've pulled up behind drivers sitting in the right lane with the right completely clear and they never move over?

Quote:
What happens when there is a left-lane exit on the thruway?
Again left lane for passing, exiting left or if it's congested.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:38 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,375,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
If you know where you are going then you will know that eventually you will have to be in that lane. If you can't make it into the lane that's likely your problem for not planning ahead and making a lane change far before you approach the exit. I have little sympathy for the "last second" mergers, if you miss your exit, you miss it, not the end of the world.
I'm not talking about waiting until the last minute to merge into the left lane, that is a strawman argument.
What I am talking about is the difficulty of merging into the left lane from going with the flow of traffic in the middle lane to accelerating up to the speed that the cars in the left lane are traveling. There may be cars directly ahead of you in the middle lane, also going with the flow of traffic which makes it difficult or impossible to accelerate up to the speed the cars in the left lane are driving in order to avoid getting rear-ended at a high rate of speed. So you are forced to drive in the middle lane and then wait for enough of a gap to move over and then quickly accelerate. That process can either be easy or difficult depending on conditions.

Then, as you are waiting to get to your exit, you have to deal with the tailgaters and idiots who pass on the right if you aren't willing to drive 100mph before you get to the left lane exit. I'm not saying you should drive speed limit in that case either. I go with the flow of traffic. I only go in the left lane if I am passing a slowpoke in the middle lane or if I have left-lane exit. In the case of a left lane exit, I match what other cars ahead of me in the left lane are doing. Still, invariably, there will be some speed demon barreling up behind me doing 100+ who then starts tailgating or dangerously passing on the right, swerving in and out of lanes, etc.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about waiting until the last minute to merge into the left lane, that is a strawman argument.
Ok, I have officially lost interest in your grumbling thread. If you want to come up with a million different scenarios, go ahead and waste your time doing it but I wont read them. Fact is, most of us can cope with a road moron a few times a week if not more. That's life, you can't control everybody. Stress over it or deal with it, your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive