Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 08:57 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,771,833 times

Advertisements

I change mine every 5,000 - 7,000 miles. For me that's about three times per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 09:07 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,038 times
I'll go either 6-7 months or ~7,500 miles, whichever comes first. I also change my own oil so I can understand maybe someone not wanting to pay if they think they can get a few more months/couple thousand miles out of a change. But I'm also in a climate that is very hot, dusty and travel over a mountain twice a day as well.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:08 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
We really don't need two vehicles (because my wife rarely drives), but the wife insists on having two.

Usually one vehicle gets driven and the other sits. While I do trade off after a while, neither gets driven many miles. On the oil change window sticker there are two suggestions for the next oil change. Mileage and a date. How important is the time period between oil changes?

For example: Our 2013 Malibu only has about 4200 miles on it. The oil change reminder sticker says it is due for a change at 6400 miles. However the date says August 10, 2014. Should I wait for 6000 miles or take it in sooner because of the length of time?? If the time period is important, why?
If the vehicle is out of its warranty, then you can follow a reasonable schedule such as perhaps 5,000-7,000 miles or six months (whichever comes first). The oil/filter type and change should be in the owner's manual.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:21 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,202,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The world is flat and anyone who thinks differently is wrong.

Oil analysis isn't expensive to get done. Science is amazing like that. And yes, it does go bad sitting in the engine. Six months is a general recommendation. If you drive the car once a week 50 miles one-way to town to do church and do your shopping, I wouldn't hesitate to ignore the six months and do it once a year. On the other hand if you drive it two miles to work, two miles back, short errands, then you're never going to really get it hot enough to burn off condensation that builds up. Or you could just pay for oil analysis and know for sure whether the world is indeed flat.

This !!

The oil change interval in my car is 10,000 miles. That is a lot of miles so I have decided to start doing oil analysis. There is an additional test you can do that actually shows how much life the additives in your oil have left. Letting you know if you can reduce or increase your oil change interval.

I picked this lab....
Blackstone Labs

They actually have a person that looks at your results and writes a personal message based on your results, trends, and comparisons to other engines. This test can reveal fuel in your oil, water in your oil, silicas (dirt) in your oil (intake leak), or wear metals showing up indicating things like a cam shaft wearing abnormally.

The only way to know is sending your oil to a lab. It is $25 plus $2.86 in shipping.

It could actually save you money. What if you find out that your oil after 3000 miles had TONS of life left in it? How much money would you save by SAFELY pushing the interval to 6000 miles?

Old 12-13-2014, 05:44 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,601,388 times
tmozer,
As you seem to not keep your car(s) for a decade, and don't put many miles on either, I rec'd an annual oil&filter change, with good quality filter and full synthetic oil once a year.

The manual for your car says the same...

The 'Oil Threads' are like political threads, but since you aren't keeping some rare/emotionally attached super car for years, the annual O & F change, based on your lower mileage, should serve you well.

Imo, the full syn oils of today, combined with a quality filter, provide for an easy annual service based on your lower mileage. This ain't rocket science or bench racing...
GL, mD

Old 12-13-2014, 06:00 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,053,832 times
The answer is simple, read your owner's manual. I am willing to bet it recommends either a certain mileage or a minimum of once a year if the mileage is not reached.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:11 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
The common car gets oil and filter change in 3,000 miles
Anyone who has a car manufactured in the last decade or two and is getting the oil changed every 3,000 miles is flushing money down the drain.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:13 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Anyone who has a car manufactured in the last decade or two and is getting the oil changed every 3,000 miles is flushing money down the drain.
Only cars I could see doing that are cabs and tow trucks, that's about it. 3k for a non-commercial vehicle is such a waste of money because of backwards thinking. 3k on dino oil is a waste, when I used dino oil, I was going to 5-6k miles on a change.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I have the oil changed every 3,000 miles. This amounts to every 4 months on the Subaru (98 k mis) and twice a year on the Buick (176 k mis.). The garage also does a safety check as part of the service.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:32 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Oil won't go bad sitting in the engine for many many years (probably eons). You will be dead by the time your oil goes bad from age. Anyone who thinks oil will go bad from sitting for 6 months, or even 6 years is just...wrong.

The spices in your cabinet don't expire for years....oil lasts much longer than spices. And I have spices that expired 10 years ago...I'm not dead yet .
Actually, many spices do need replacing before a year at minimum - they don't "spoil" but they either lose their flavor or get strong and bitter. That said, I have a winter "beater" that I only put maybe 2-3k miles on a year so I change the oil once or twice a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive