Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 03:33 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,787 times

Advertisements

Ok, my turn.

I noticed someone started a thread on oil changes.

My question is what should I get done to my 2001 Chevy Malibu LS for a tune up? I like to make sure I get what I need and not what I don't need. It hasn't been done in a very long time and is definitely needed. (aside from oil changes and air filters) I have been told I need a transmission flush and a belt check or something. What else is listed in a tune up? (Specifically, for a across-the-country road trip prep as well.) How much does a tune up usually cost? I need to save for this.

Note: My Malibu has already delt with the cracked radiator issue or whatever issue My generation of Mailbus were having issues with. someone told me I needed to replace my temperature gadge. It has never been replaced. Wht do you about that suggestion?

Thanks for the advice!!

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 03:51 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Plugs, wires, cap and rotor (if you dont have distributorless), PCV valve, air filter, etc. Also recommended (but harder to do) are a fuel filter, trans flush, valve adjustment.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Plugs, wires, cap and rotor (if you dont have distributorless), PCV valve, air filter, etc. Also recommended (but harder to do) are a fuel filter, trans flush, valve adjustment.
Should my battery be checked too? I do live in Vegas, you know. Batteries don't last out here in the desert heat. I hope I don' thave to replace that. Can be expensive.

Other than that, that sounds pretty basic check ups. What is the price range?

Old 01-04-2008, 04:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Should my battery be checked too? I do live in Vegas, you know. Batteries don't last out here in the desert heat. I hope I don' thave to replace that. Can be expensive.

Other than that, that sounds pretty basic check ups. What is the price range?
Yeah, get your battery checked if you want, or just simply replace it, you might have some water evaporation. But if it starts just fine w/o showing signs of sluggishness, youd probably be ok leaving it as is. As for price, depends on what brand you buy, etc. I love to use Bosch, which is a little pricey. You can get the Pep-boys, or Napa brands and save a little dinero. My last tune-up was cheap. I only needed plugs and a PCV valve, as my car has an aftermarket cone filter (which just needs washing--not replacement), and distributorless ignition (so no cap and rotor or wires needed).

Old 01-04-2008, 07:41 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
My mother has a 98 Malibu that I take care of for her, she lives in Tucson and her car gets baked by the desert heat too. If your battery is more than 5 years old, replace it even if it still starts the car now, you are on borrowed time in LV with a battery that old. The desert heat fries batteries. How many miles are on the car?
If over 50K, consider replacement of the surpentine drive belt for the engine. Like the battery, the desert heat dries those things out. That will cost about $100. Since you had a radiator replaced, they must have drained out all the old coolant and put in some new of the long life stuff, so that's covered. Malibus are pretty simple rigs, not much else besides what others mentioned here.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:06 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
When you have hte tranny flush done....dont forget to do the filter. Living in vegas is really hard on a autotranny with all the heat.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:04 AM

thanks everyone for the advice. GLad to hear nothing extreme needs to be done. Pretty usual stuff in here. But, I always like to ask.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 18,510 times
Default Malibu radiator

Where can I find it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive