Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 01:08 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times

Advertisements

The "BGE"(never heard to it referred to as this) method is the newer method formally published by engineers in 1995.

It works just fine in new vehicles. I don't understand the problem TheGrandK-Man seems to be having. I even used it in a rental Elantra with no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 04:30 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The "BGE"(never heard to it referred to as this) method is the newer method formally published by engineers in 1995.

It works just fine in new vehicles. I don't understand the problem TheGrandK-Man seems to be having. I even used it in a rental Elantra with no problem.

Blind-spot-Glare-Elimination.

I set it up just as described in posts #s 4 & 5 in this thread - after making sure my seat and inside rear view mirror are properly adjusted. Never had to glance over my shoulder in the 1996 Contour or my wife's 04 Corolla when entering a highway or switching lanes.

In my newer cars, my 2008 Optima and my current 15 Elantra, I'll check all my mirrors as I'm merging onto a highway, then all of a sudden have to veer back into the on ramp, or really floor it because only then do I see another vehicle within meters of my own, or bearing down quickly on me! That NEVER happened in my older cars with BGE mirror set up. You don't have to believe me. By the way the sky is also blue during daylight when it is not cloudy - another observation of mine.

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 06-28-2017 at 04:38 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 04:43 PM

If you have a blind transition zone where you are losing vehicles the mirrors are not set correctly.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
As far as I know the "BGE" was the traditional method. I had to Google that. It's where you set up your mirrors properly so the side of your car is just outside your view from your normal driving position. I have no clue why you'd use the incorrect (what you call traditional method) where the side view mirrors basically show the same thing the rear-view mirror does leaving you with a whopping blind spot. That's just dumb as far as I'm concerned.
BGE may be traditional - in Europe and Asia - but here in the states awareness of it increased only by the late 1990s, early 2000s. Until then, the 'three rear view mirror' method was the 'traditional' Stateside mirror setting method. No one here thought of any other way.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
If you have a blind transition zone where you are losing vehicles the mirrors are not set correctly.
I already mentioned the correlation I believe exists between side mirrors close to the car = easy, effective BGE setup, and side mirrors out further from the car = challenging, not so ideal BGE setup.

Think about it: the further out the mirrors are from the side window glass, the more you must turn them in to be able to see anything at all through them from your seated position. This counteracts the purpose of BGE setup - side view mirrors angled outward to capture traffic immediately in adjacent lanes.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:01 PM

Maybe it's my seating position(6'7, so seat is all the way back) but I do not lose entire SUVs in a transition zone in modern vehicles. There is no transition zone to speak of. As a car passes on the left a portion of it will be seen in both the side and rear view mirror as the transition happens. And then in my peripheral vision when transitioning out of the side mirror. Including a same generation Elantra.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's my seating position(6'7, so seat is all the way back) but I do not lose entire SUVs in a transition zone in modern vehicles. There is no transition zone to speak of. As a car passes on the left a portion of it will be seen in both the side and rear view mirror as the transition happens. And then in my peripheral vision when transitioning out of the side mirror. Including a same generation Elantra.
5' 8" here, a little shorter than the avg. American grown male. That could be a factor, but doesn't explain why BGE worked fine in my aforementioned older cars.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:52 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
I already mentioned the correlation I believe exists between side mirrors close to the car = easy, effective BGE setup, and side mirrors out further from the car = challenging, not so ideal BGE setup.

Think about it: the further out the mirrors are from the side window glass, the more you must turn them in to be able to see anything at all through them from your seated position. This counteracts the purpose of BGE setup - side view mirrors angled outward to capture traffic immediately in adjacent lanes.
Won't adding a convex mirror help?

Old 06-29-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Won't adding a convex mirror help?
Can't see how it would hurt! 😉
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive