Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 04:45 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
People are flying by him like they were late for dinner. One was even riding his bumper until they got up the nerve to make a pass.

Did you ever wonder why old people mostly just drive the speed limit instead of 15-20 over like the hotshots?

One reason might be that they know the roads and they know that the speed police love to give out citations on that particular road.

I have done enough track days so that 80-100mph is no big deal so I just watch the hotshots as they sometime flip off the old geezers because they are holding them up.

Just my observation while driving to the grocery store today.
Oddly enough, that old geezer got to be old because he is a careful cautious driver.

The hotshots driving 20 miles over the speed limit? They dont have to worry about becoming old geezers. I just hope they dont take anyone with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 07:52 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Let me get this straight. You actually find fault with someone who is doing the speed limit and obeying the law, all the while driving in the slow lane ????? Do you realize just how idiotic your post on this subject is ?

BTW, I am a geezer who builds hot rods and drag cars, and I still obey the speed limit and stay in the slow lane.........imagine that !!!

Don

Old 12-27-2014, 08:39 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The old geezer going 60 in the right lane will get to his destination about the same time as the gunners fighting for position. Eventually, they will mature and figure it out.

It's too bad because most of the traffic back ups are caused by the gunners getting in accidents.

This may be one of the dumbest conversations I have ever encountered here. Complaining about someone driving 5mph over in the right lane? Come on!

You my friend have hit the nail on the head. These people that feel the need to drive 90 and weave in and out of traffic almost never get there any faster. I can't count the times I have seen some idiot blow by me only to catch up to them 5 or 10 miles down the road sitting in traffic or stopped at a traffic light just like the rest of us who chose to obey the law and not endanger the rest of the drivers on the road.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:58 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,935 times
at least he was in the slow lane...

Old 12-28-2014, 12:18 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times
Everyone seems to be in a rush these days. I am not a slow driver, but sometimes I feel like I am with people whizzing around me all the time. I think it's just a cultural change in the US. More aggressive drivers than ever before on the road, and people under pressure to work longer hours for what amounts to less money. People have less free time than prior generations, and so they rush everywhere to squeeze in more things to do.

Driving the speed limit or just 5-10 miles above it is fine. If I see someone slow in the right lane, I will pass if I can or need to, otherwise I just stay relaxed and create a pace with them. The sad irony is that the people who pass people like me on their way to work or home each day might perhaps save themselves 30 seconds to a full minute (at the most) while increasing the risk of an accident happening tremendously. It's not worth the risk.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:48 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
Do you guys have a lot more horn-honking over nothing where you are? It guess worse here (South Florida) all the time, and stays with us long after the snowbirds are gone.

I usually stay in the slow lane and am passed or tailgated even when I go over the speed limit. What disturbs me is people in tiny cars who cut in front of me so quickly that it would be almost impossible to stop without hitting them. This happens a few times a week on the way to work with a particular driver. He has one of those tiny station-wagon style cars with a hatchback. He keeps his dog in the back, and the poor thing is rammed up against the back glass.The dog would have no hope in a rear-end collision.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:57 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
The dog probably has more brains than the driver.

I agree, this thread ranks right up there with the dumbest subjects ever discussed in 2014. The only possibly dumber thread might be "Don't you just hate people who buy guns and then never shoot anyone ?"

Don

Old 12-28-2014, 06:40 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The dog probably has more brains than the driver.

I agree, this thread ranks right up there with the dumbest subjects ever discussed in 2014. The only possibly dumber thread might be "Don't you just hate people who buy guns and then never shoot anyone ?"

Don
Or the one about my neighbor washes his car everyday Dumb stupid questiond on here. Some people need to get a life.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:52 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Just be thankful that the highway department thinks well enough of its customers that a reasonable speed limit is posted and most drivers 'obey' them.

When the old geezer went to high school he probably took a driving class. In that class he probably learned the 2 second rule. That states the conclusion that the reaction time of a driver is at minimum 2 seconds to observe and react to an emergency situation. The faster you drive, the futher that 2 seconds takes you. I once drove on a freeway behind a pick-up truck carrying boxed, new, household appliances. The tail gate opened and the boxes spilled and began bouncing toward me. That two seconds barely gave me enough time to swerve to avoid them. Luckily I also knew another safe driving rule: know where the other cars are in your vicinity at all times, ie. make frequent checks of the rear view and side mirrors when moving smoothly.

Sure it is easy to drive 20 miles above the speed limit. Nearly all of us could do so and it would be fun. But in most cases it would also be stupid.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:09 AM

847 posts, read 1,351,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Just be thankful that the highway department thinks well enough of its customers that a reasonable speed limit is posted and most drivers 'obey' them.

When the old geezer went to high school he probably took a driving class. In that class he probably learned the 2 second rule. That states the conclusion that the reaction time of a driver is at minimum 2 seconds to observe and react to an emergency situation. The faster you drive, the futher that 2 seconds takes you. I once drove on a freeway behind a pick-up truck carrying boxed, new, household appliances. The tail gate opened and the boxes spilled and began bouncing toward me. That two seconds barely gave me enough time to swerve to avoid them. Luckily I also knew another safe driving rule: know where the other cars are in your vicinity at all times, ie. make frequent checks of the rear view and side mirrors when moving smoothly.

Sure it is easy to drive 20 miles above the speed limit. Nearly all of us could do so and it would be fun. But in most cases it would also be stupid.
Lots of stupid people on the road. What is sad is more often than not, the same people that are driving 20 miles over are also the same ones you see either talking on the phone or texting, Facebooking, etc. as they drive by you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive