Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 07:14 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
They say because you pay with plastic they are just recovering their processing fees. That why they charge Moore for gas using plastic.
Why doesn't Mr. or Ms. Moore protest about having to pay more than everyone else?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 07:37 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Why doesn't Mr. or Ms. Moore protest about having to pay more than everyone else?

Because they know you need the gas and only have plastic, so people just except it because they need the gas.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:46 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
I got bit myself. In 90% of all gas stations in SC, cash and debit card gas prices are the same. Credit cards a bit higher in some. I pulled into one place. Not paying attention I swiped my debit card and started to pump. Then I noticed it was at the higher price. I needed gas so I kept going. When done I went inside and asked. I was told the lower price was cash only. Debit cards did not count as cash. I made note and moved on down the road.

Now I pay attention.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:48 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Because they know you need the gas and only have plastic, so people just except it because they need the gas.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:49 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I've always been told by branded station operators that they pay no fee for the brand credit cards.

Yo, young ones. Having a different price for cash and credit is only "new" if you're stuck in 1975.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:24 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
the prices dont bother me near as much as the hidden transactions that take place .. at some places when you use your debit card for a purchase they deduct an additional 75 bucks from your account to make sure they get theirs before you run out of funds .. i never use those places more than once ...
This has happened to us at several different service stations. But only once per station as we no longer go back when this happens.

Apparently, this is to be certain that we don't pump $100 of gas into our Prius when we only have $25 left on our card. It's usually several days before the $100 is removed.

Never once have I seen a sign stating that this will happen. After the first time, I was careful to look.

How is this legal to put a hold on your credit card without notifying you beforehand?

Old 12-28-2014, 08:26 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
I thought that credit card companies had a deal going wherein businesses agree not to offer lower cash prices.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:33 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
So now you know. Cash and debit prices are different at some places.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:30 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
They say because you pay with plastic they are just recovering their processing fees. That why they charge Moore for gas using plastic.
Not mentioned yet is that in some places the major brand stations charge the same price for cash or their own credit card. Here in SoCal Chevron does this. Use a debit or bank card and usually it is a nickle or dime more a gallon.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:34 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicYouth View Post
There's a place not far from my home that consistently advertises around 7 cents cheaper fuel than the BP next door and the Wawa down the road, on par with the Costco, which I usually use. I was in a hurry the other day, and so instead of going through the Costco rigamarole I stopped at this place, just your basic, little, no-name gas and chips type of establishment. After I start pumping I notice a tiny little handwritten sign in the window that says "Add 7 cent charge for debit/credit card transactions." They obviously knew full well that most people, in a rush right off the interstate like me, wouldn't actually double check the price stated on the pump before they swiped their card, which indeed was the exact same at $2.09 as the BP next door.

Obviously I'm to blame for not making sure of the price on the pump before I began fueling, but I'm surprised this is even legal, to have a lower advertised cash price and credit price without explicitly stating so on the sign that motorists will use to make their decision from the road. I'm not too burned up, not like this has a massive effect on my life, more a curiosity than anything because I haven't seen anything like it in all the years I've been driving. Anyone else on here ever seen a similar bait and switch, possibly one even more egregious?
I understand your frustration and the gas station should have had a more prominent sign. Credit card companies charge the station a percentage of the sale. You've lost 70 cents for the ten gallons that you may have bought. Consider it a learning experience.

It is difficult to get a gas pump to the exact dollar amount. I once went over by a penny at a particular station. With no argument from me the skell behind the counter insisted on the extra penny. I have avoided this gas station for about seven years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive