Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 01:40 PM

265 posts, read 402,984 times

Advertisements

Hello -

My TPMS light went on, went to Jiffy Lube and they filled the tires up to appropriate weight as directed by Hyundai. I have a 2008 Tucson LTD. It took a few days for light to go off. All was well for a couple more days, and then while driving on the highway (I do 90% city driving), it went on again. The next morning it was off and has remained off for a day or two now.

My question is, do you think something's up with my tire(s) or the TPMS sensor? Or is this normal for a car this age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 01:42 PM

460 posts, read 999,138 times
You either have a bad TPMS sensor or a leak in one of your tires that slowly deflates enough to trigger the TPMS.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:47 PM

Thanks for your response. Is there a way to check which tire is leaking?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm a girl that's not very car-educated.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:27 PM

19,056 posts, read 25,186,477 times
First, I wouldn't even trust the people at Jiffy Lube to give me directions if I was lost.
In terms of things automotive, they are...lost at sea.

I STRONGLY suggest that you go to a real mechanic in the future for your servicing needs, as nobody working at Jiffy Lube is likely to have any mechanical expertise.

All of that being said, here are the possibilities as I see them regarding your tires:
  • There may be a slow leak in one of the tires. Buy a tire pressure gauge, and check them yourself, when the tires are cold, then compare the pressures to the specifications listed in your Owner's Manual and on the label affixed to the driver's door jamb.
  • One or more of the TPMS batteries may be failing.
  • Your car may have a TPMS sensor inside the spare tire. This is likely to be the case if your spare is a full-sized one, rather than a "donut" spare. Many people overlook the necessity to check the pressure in their spare tire until they are stranded on the road with a flat, and then they find--to their dismay--that their spare tire is unusable. Don't be one of those people!

Old 12-27-2014, 03:12 PM

991 posts, read 1,223,942 times
Great advice above. Also the proper tire pressure is not what is printed on the sidewall of the tire, but what is printed in the owners manual, or on the drivers door jamb.

Pressure changes 1 psi for every 10 degrees, so when the weather gets hotter or colder or when you drive & your tires get hot, tire pressures will fluctuate.

get a decent tire pressure gauge ( $10 or so) and Google " how do I check my tire pressure"

Old 12-27-2014, 05:24 PM

17,443 posts, read 15,025,233 times
Hyundais, so far as I know, have 2 different TPMS lights.. At least, some do.

One that simply has the letters "TPMS", which is when it detects a fault in the TPMS system.. Such as not receiving data from a sensor or similar

Then there's the (!) symbol, which means it's detected low pressure in one or more tires.

Do you have both? If so, which is lit?

Honestly.. you're right at the time for those sensors to die. 6 years seems to be the benchmark. So it wouldn't surprise me if it were the batteries. You're probably at the time where if something is wrong, you just go ahead and have them all changed out.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Hyundais, so far as I know, have 2 different TPMS lights.. At least, some do.

One that simply has the letters "TPMS", which is when it detects a fault in the TPMS system.. Such as not receiving data from a sensor or similar

Then there's the (!) symbol, which means it's detected low pressure in one or more tires.

Do you have both? If so, which is lit?

Honestly.. you're right at the time for those sensors to die. 6 years seems to be the benchmark. So it wouldn't surprise me if it were the batteries. You're probably at the time where if something is wrong, you just go ahead and have them all changed out.
Yes, it was the TPMS light, not the (!) one (which I have seen in the past). Thanks for your reply - super helpful!

Old 12-27-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
First, I wouldn't even trust the people at Jiffy Lube to give me directions if I was lost.
In terms of things automotive, they are...lost at sea.

I STRONGLY suggest that you go to a real mechanic in the future for your servicing needs, as nobody working at Jiffy Lube is likely to have any mechanical expertise.
Haha, totally agree. But I really just went there as I knew they would put air in my tires for free, which hopefully is a task even Jiffy Lube can handle

Old 12-27-2014, 09:45 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,736,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson9 View Post
Thanks for your response. Is there a way to check which tire is leaking?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm a girl that's not very car-educated.
NO EXCUSES!!

I, too, am a female, but good heavens, even I know how to operate a tire pressure gauge!! Heck, I even have an air compressor that is powered off my aux power!

So here is what I do: I use my tire pressure gauge to check my tire pressure. Then, if pressure is low, I plug my air compressor into the aux power and inflate to the pressure needed (32 pounds for me).

Heck, I even know how to check my oil levels, add washer fluid when needed, check my coolant levels, etc. AND....I've taught my boys how to do the same! Heck, they even know how to change wiper blades and headlight/taillight bulbs!

Old 12-27-2014, 10:48 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,824,280 times
Yep, a failure of the TPMS to read a sensor. It could be a failing sensor battery or it could be you went thru an area of high microwave communications or some other type of interference. Considering your Tucson is 6 years old, regardless of tred left on the tires, you need to be thinking new tires and sensors. You don't want to run tires much passed 5 years as high speed failure rate goes up on older tires. If you have kids, they need to be on fresher tires. Might figure that into the budget and soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive