Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:13 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,625,065 times

Advertisements

Years ago in Arizona, my father came upon a road grader heading up a mountain road, half on the shoulder and half in the lane. It was a two lane road with a double yellow line. Because of the grade, the driver was doing less than ten MPH. There was no oncoming traffic and he waved my father past. An Arizona Highway Patrolman pulled us over a few miles later and gave my dad a ticket for passing in a no passing zone. Beyond ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 10:16 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,741,066 times
It's only illegal if you get caught.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:23 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,093,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
Years ago in Arizona, my father came upon a road grader heading up a mountain road, half on the shoulder and half in the lane. It was a two lane road with a double yellow line. Because of the grade, the driver was doing less than ten MPH. There was no oncoming traffic and he waved my father past. An Arizona Highway Patrolman pulled us over a few miles later and gave my dad a ticket for passing in a no passing zone. Beyond ridiculous.
No it wasn't ridiculous he broke the law plain and simple.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:25 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,811,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The usual reason the line is doubled is because there isn't clear view forward far enough ahead see an oncoming vehicle. If the speed limit is 55 mph, that means you would be closing on an unseen oncoming vehicle at at least 110mph. That's about half a football field per second.
That's only if everyone is doing the speed limit. If you're passing someone doing 30 in a 55 zone, then obviously head on speed is going to be less.

Double yellows have to take into account the average driver in an average car (acceleration).

IME there are plenty of places where it's safe for me to pass, but it's double yellow. OTOH there are also places where I'm legally allowed to pass, but I don't (even though I'm looking to pass).

If it's legal for me to cross double yellows to safely pass a police car (stopped) or a cyclist (going 10mph up a hill), then I'm damn well going to cross the double yellows (safely) if I come across farmer Joe and his tractor going 10mph. If some cop is dumb enough to fine me... well, big deal.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:33 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,031,321 times
Are you so law abiding that you cannot make a reasonable decision without fear of a lightning bolt striking you?

On a rural road, sometimes you have to pass slow moving traffic. If it is safe to pass, just do it.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:58 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,197,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Are you so law abiding that you cannot make a reasonable decision without fear of a lightning bolt striking you?

On a rural road, sometimes you have to pass slow moving traffic. If it is safe to pass, just do it.

heh I have to laugh at people who have no notion of common sense and feel that every law must be followed to the letter? Can't pass someone doing under 10mph on a mountain road? Silly. I'd tell the cop off if he gave me the ticket.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:02 PM

85 posts, read 103,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
It's only illegal if you get caught.

Exactly, just go for it and then tell the cop that City Data Forum said it was ok.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:48 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,031,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
heh I have to laugh at people who have no notion of common sense and feel that every law must be followed to the letter? Can't pass someone doing under 10mph on a mountain road? Silly. I'd tell the cop off if he gave me the ticket.
I passed two cyclists this morning on a rural two lane road. I had a choice to follow them at 15 MPH for five more miles or pass them crossing a double yellow when I had a safe opportunity. I chose to pass.

Another thing I have done recently:

- on an intersection that uses a sensor to give a green light, every once in a while the sensor gets knocked in the wrong direction. I have waited for minutes at 5:30 a.m. to get a green light. So I chose to "run" the light when there were no cars.

Last edited by hoffdano; 12-30-2014 at 03:05 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 02:01 PM

7,925 posts, read 12,623,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

I'm the guy who asked. The reason I ask is usually I am smoking a joint while I'm driving and don't want to give any cops a reason to pull me over.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:13 PM

274 posts, read 423,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
My mom passed someone on a double yellow MANY years ago who was going very slow on the highway. Come to find out, they were going that slow because they were about to turn left (highway with turns, instead of exits), even though they didn't have their signal on. They turned left into her, not realizing she was illegally passing them. She was 100% at fault. The double yellows are usually there for a reason.

That being said, if someone was going under 20 on farm equipment or a vehicle with hazard lights on, in a 55 zone, I'd pass them on a double yellow if I definitely had a clear line of sight, and I'd argue the ticket if I got pulled over.
Going into my horse barn I have a somewhat narrow driveway on my right with a turn lane in the middle to make a left turn. I can't tell you how many times I've been pulling a horse trailer and I've swung wide to make the turn, with my right turn signal, and had someone try to gun it up the inside thinking I'm making a left turn (even though I'm barely over the line or not over the line at all). I've learned to turn slowly just in case, but did catch someone with the bumper once...they kept on driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive