Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 01:54 PM

105 posts, read 514,906 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm planning on purchasing a car out of state, possibly Virginia and I was wondering how does one go about doing that? It is a private seller, so I don't know how the whole registration, plates, and taxes work. Is there some permit that allows me to move the car from Virginia to NJ with old plates/no plates? If anyone could help, I would be so appreciative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 02:18 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,870,729 times
Look it up on the related DMV websites. Some states leave the plates with the car, others are the property of the seller and can be used on their next car unless they let you have them. You will register, title and pay sales taxes in your state once you comply with the rules in your state on purchasing a vehicle from out of state regarding title, insurance, inspections, etc. NJ might have a temporary tag you can buy for transporting a car, I know other states do. Or if you have a current NJ license plate on another car, you "could" use it to drive the vehicle home if the seller keeps his plates.

Either way, make sure you get a bill of sale, and have any required NJ paperwork ready for the seller to sign if necessary. I know in Texas we have a certain form that must be signed by the seller to allow the buyer to apply for a new title.

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Old 12-30-2014, 02:38 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,719 times
I've bought my last several vehicles in different states than where I reside. It was no big deal.

1. Title and/or bill of sale from seller.
2. Call your insurance co. so they can get you covered.
3. Whatever the temporary plating system is for YOUR state. (Here its just an in-transit sign in the window)

Old 12-30-2014, 03:27 PM

105 posts, read 514,906 times
So I wouldn't buy the trip permit in Virginia where I am buying the car? I wouldn't have the title until I got to Virginia so would I be allowed to drive the new car to the DMV in Virginia to get the temp permit (without the registration but with proof of purchase, license, etc)?

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Old 12-31-2014, 10:05 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,870,729 times
I guess you could look into it, but since you are not a resident of VA, they may not want to sell you one.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:19 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,969,651 times
You will have to check with the Department of Motor Vehicles or whatever it is in the states involved.
Such rules are VERY state specific!
For instance, I can tell you that here in Montana the Bill Of Sale and/or the signed title is your temporary permit for up to 40 days. You have to take the signed title to the DMV for transfer and registration, get your plates (the seller keeps his), and then you will get the new title in your name in 4 to 6 weeks.
If you buy from a private party out of state, the procedure is the same, except the plates might stay on the car until you transfer the title, then you can put the Montana plates on it and throw the old ones away.
But, that explanation does not do a person in NJ or VA a bit of good, does it.
Your best bet for information is YOUR local DMV.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:54 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,582,047 times
Well it looks like Virginia will only sell temp tags to VA residents and NJ only dealers can issue a temp tag, they now print them online using pc's at the dealer.

Only legal way might be to go get the paperwork for the car, meaning title, then go to NJ get it registered and go back with the NJ plates to drive the car home/

I know it a beeeach, but maybe some other nearby states have less restrictive policies??

heres a cut/paste from elsewhere,,,oh and usually you can call your insurance co and they might even email you or let you print proof of insurance in case you get stopped.

Laws vary from state to state, from what I've seen NJ is one of the biggest PITA in the nation. You can't get a temp in NJ unless you get it from a dealer, NJMVS will give you plates on the spot so there's no need for a temp. If you want to use plates from another car, do so at your own risk, I had a friend who lost his license for 6 months for driving home 4 blocks imediately after the purchase with plates that weren't registered to the car they were attached to. Insurance is a grey area, just a policy number is enough for a temp. plate (only available with purchase from a dealer) but you have 1 business day to get the vehicle listed on the policy. You will need an insurance card to get plates at NJMVS, along with a title and a bill of sale. NJ does have a blank bill of sale form on the back of the title but other states might not and a hand written bill of sale is enough to make the state happy as long as it includes the purchase price and signatures of the buyer and the seller as listed on the title.
Don't bother going to MVS without a title, a car without a title in NJ is called a "parts car" and there is NO way to get a new title.
Best bet is to make the deal, exchange the paperwork, deal with MVS and the ins co, and then go get the car. Sure a lot of people bend the rules, but IIRC you're young enough to be a good target for law enforcement, why push your luck?
BTW, insurance companies are usually happy with just the VIN, they know you can't get plates without getting insurance first. I just had to do this today (new DD over the weekend) and all they wanted was the make/model/year/VIN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive