Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 11:45 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wycoyote View Post
I've used a V-1 for almost 20 years. They have a factory upgrade program which I have done once.

This is a brilliant detector in that it offers arrows to show the direction of the radar and the number of "bogies".

Anything over 2 "bogies" and you're likely getting false returns.

Range is exceptional.

This^

I use to own the same unit and it saved my behind more times than I can remember. Its not cheap but it will pay for itself with the first speeding ticket it saves you from!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 01:25 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownuser123 View Post
As i was driving into work this morning I see a local cop backing into his speed trap post. It got me thinking do radar detectors work?

My thought is that typical by the time you get the notice its too late and they have clocked you.

I try not to speed so i never owned one but would love to hear people's stories whether it saved them or was a worthless POS
worthless POS. They all have instant on guns...nothing to detect. THey haven't worked well in 10 years.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:54 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
worthless POS. They all have instant on guns...nothing to detect. THey haven't worked well in 10 years.
Unless you have a radar/laser jammer.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:37 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Quote:
A lot of good points. It seems in NY they typically use laser.

2k is a lot for that but i guess if you are gonna speed its a long term investment over the fines/points and possible lost of your driver's license

1. There are NO radar detectors against lidars. No matter what they promise you.
2. there are no detectors for a clever speed trap. No matter how advanced your detector is and how retarded policeman radar is - cleverly positioned trap WILL get you simply because you will have no time to respond to a SUDDEN warning.
3. BEST EVER radar detector is not to exceed 5mph above
4. should you still go for one at least make it concealed. As like one cop in AL said - "pulling over a speeder with detector is like catching and arsonist with matches in his pocket. He showed clear intention of offense.". It's called aggravating circumstance and intentional speeding.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:18 PM

707 posts, read 1,408,017 times
I've had a radar detector a Passport and I swear by it, it gives me plenty of time to slow down, never been
caught speeding in ten years when I have my RD. Mine does have a warning for laser as well. I've used it
in NY, PA, DE, VA, MD, WV, NJ, NC. SC, GA, FL , pretty much up and down the east coast not one ticket.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:26 PM

698 posts, read 798,076 times
Quote:
As i was driving into work this morning I see a local cop backing into his speed trap post. It got me thinking do radar detectors work?

My thought is that typical by the time you get the notice its too late and they have clocked you.

I try not to speed so i never owned one but would love to hear people's stories whether it saved them or was a worthless POS
By the time ours goes off, we pretty much see the Cop right in front of us.

So for us, no

Old 12-30-2014, 03:43 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I got stopped one time and the cop asked me if my radar detector worked since he stopped me.

Turns out that yes, it did work. That's why I was the only car to slow down. Which is why the cop told me I was the one he stopped, he knew I had it because I slowed down.

The only ticket I've had, yet, in almost 45 years of driving. Lots of warnings, though.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:59 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have never understood why something whose ONLY purpose is to help you break the law, is legal. (I guess this is why radar detectors are NOT legal in many states.)

I used to speed occasionally, 'til I realized that I would get home, what, a whole 5 minutes sooner? Seemed pretty stupid when I looked at it that way.

I will take my perfect driving record -- zero tickets, zero accidents -- and very low insurance rates, thank you very much.
I generally agree, but there are so many cities/counties/states/law enforcement agencies that have co opted the idea that traffic speed enforcement is not about safety but rather generating revenue that I don't have a moral issue any longer about doing anything I can to even the scales.

That said, if I'm running hot it's seldom over 5-7 mph over. Everything in my car is hands-free and I'm more than happy to let the cell phone go to voicemail. As far I'm concerned that alone make me 5-7 mph safer than 90% of the majority of the motoring public. Like you, zero tix, zero accidents, low insurance, and I drive a relatively high performance car (in some circles, a ticket magnet)

Do radar detectors works? Yes, but within reason. It often offers a heads-up if there's nearby traffic and/or the much beloved 'rabbit' ahead. If the terrain is right it will often detect quite a distance ahead when there's no traffic, again offering some measure of assistance if the intent on the officer's part is to issue tickets rather than keep the roads safe. Personally I don't think it's worth spending more than $300 on a unit. Anything more and it's an admission that you're more interested in breaking the law than preventing yourself from being some village's checkbook.

YMMV

Old 12-30-2014, 04:21 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have never understood why something whose ONLY purpose is to help you break the law, is legal. (I guess this is why radar detectors are NOT legal in many states.)

I used to speed occasionally, 'til I realized that I would get home, what, a whole 5 minutes sooner? Seemed pretty stupid when I looked at it that way.

I will take my perfect driving record -- zero tickets, zero accidents -- and very low insurance rates, thank you very much.
In the real world radar detectors are totally banned in only Virginia and DC. Several states ban them in commercial vehicles only.

That's really not "many".

Radar Detectors | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

Old 12-30-2014, 06:22 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
When you are on a highway, the cop is hitting cars in front of you first. The detector picks it up, you slow down until you pass the cop. Works a treat.

The detector alone isn't enough, you still have to be paying attention and using your vision to look up the road. Also you gotta blend with traffic as much as you can, stay out of the left lane as much as you can (although most the time thats impossible to do and still go 5-7 over).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive