Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:46 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times

Advertisements

I've watched all there is to watch on Youtube regarding this subject, and it's still not working for me. Almost every time I do it, I change the brake pressure -- not good if I happen to be running on an autocross and every little error can potentially upset the balance of the car. Can any of you pros out there offer some advice? I've practiced heel-toe while sitting at home, and although I feel comfortable with it sitting on the living room couch, when I'm actually behind the wheel it's a totally different matter.

I've considered taking off my shoes in the car -- is that a common thing to do until I get more comfortable with heel-toe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 07:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
this is a feel type thing. you have to learn to use the edge of the brake pedal as a pivot point. it just takes real life practice. and dont feel bad, even the pros have issues with heel and toe operations on occasion.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:54 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
For me and my 1991 RX-7, Ford Focus, and VW Jetta I never could do the "heel and toe".

It was more like the left side of my right foot on the brake and the right side of my right foot (nearer the bottom but not the heel) on the gas. My method does work and I can brake and rev match perfectly smooth downshifts. Even on the street it makes driving more fun

I have size 10 shoes so maybe that is why that works for me?

Maybe the shoes off thing is a good idea? Give you some feedback on exactly where your feet are....then put the shoes back on

What are your driving / racing?

Old 12-29-2014, 07:55 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
not knowing what car you're driving makes a meaningful response difficult.

in some cars, the ergonomics aren't set up for heel-toe driving, while some cars are designed for this activity.

if yours is one of the cars with difficult pedal angles/access for you, then it may be difficult at best to heel-toe.

some folk do drive barefoot, but I don't recommend it.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. The car is a 2014 Fiat 500 Abarth. This particular car has larger than usual pedals and does lend itself to the ball-ball method of bridging the gap as wankel7 described in his post and on another forum somebody stated that the ball-ball method is easier than with most cars because of the pedal size. Even so, I'm just not getting it. I've tried heel-toe, ball-ball, and even blending the two, but it's not working for me.

When the car is in neutral and the engine is warming, I can blip the throttle while applying even brake pressure. However, as soon as the car is moving, I'm all fumble-feet, and it's very frustrating.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Thanks for the replies. The car is a 2014 Fiat 500 Abarth. This particular car has larger than usual pedals and does lend itself to the ball-ball method of bridging the gap as wankel7 described in his post and on another forum somebody stated that the ball-ball method is easier than with most cars because of the pedal size. Even so, I'm just not getting it. I've tried heel-toe, ball-ball, and even blending the two, but it's not working for me.

When the car is in neutral and the engine is warming, I can blip the throttle while applying even brake pressure. However, as soon as the car is moving, I'm all fumble-feet, and it's very frustrating.
i know exactly how you feel. keep at it, at some point you will have an epiphany, and things will fall right into place. i had that many years ago when someone was trying to teach me how to shift a manual transmission without using the clutch. it was frustrating constantly winging and grinding the gears, until one day, everything just clicked all at once, well in two stages actually. up shifting became ridiculously easy, down shifting was still a work in progress, but even that worked itself out quickly.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:43 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,949 times
Do you wear real "driving " shoes? Sometimes the littlest things......

Old 12-30-2014, 04:18 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
That's what i was thinking. Big feet, the wrong shoes, a car with pedals that aren't conducive to it - it could be a combination of things.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i know exactly how you feel. keep at it, at some point you will have an epiphany, and things will fall right into place. i had that many years ago when someone was trying to teach me how to shift a manual transmission without using the clutch. it was frustrating constantly winging and grinding the gears, until one day, everything just clicked all at once, well in two stages actually. up shifting became ridiculously easy, down shifting was still a work in progress, but even that worked itself out quickly.
Thanks. I'll keep at it and hope for the best, and in the meantime simply continue throwing into neutral for the turns until it clicks for me.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
I wear New Balance sneakers, size 10.5.

At next opportunity I'll try driving with my shoes off and see if that helps until I'm more comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive