Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 06:42 AM

287 posts, read 506,636 times

Advertisements

I have a 2012 Chevy Sonic (1.8L auto) with about 35K on the clock. About two months ago I got an oil change; on the first cold (below freezing) day after that, I got a CEL with code P0171, which is:

Quote:
Type: Powertrain - Fuel and Air Metering - ISO/SAE Controlled
Description: Fuel Trim System Lean Conditions
Causes: No PCM codes set, ECT input from 176-230°F, engine speed 1000-4000 rpm (0-4000 rpm on VIN 1), throttle angle steady below 91%, VSS under 70 mph, purge duty cycle below 80%, then the PCM detected that the LONGFT was over 100, or that the SHRTFT was below 94, either condition met for over 25 seconds
Source: P0171 DTC: System Too Lean

This seems to only happen on very cold days and goes away on its own when the ambient temperature rises and/or the engine has been warm for a while.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I checked the obvious first, and the dipstick and oil cap are seated properly. Would using a different oil weight cause this error? I'm wondering if the tech decided to put in a different weight for the winter and the car isn't liking it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 06:52 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjo View Post
I have a 2012 Chevy Sonic (1.8L auto) with about 35K on the clock. About two months ago I got an oil change; on the first cold (below freezing) day after that, I got a CEL with code P0171, which is:

This seems to only happen on very cold days and goes away on its own when the ambient temperature rises and/or the engine has been warm for a while.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I checked the obvious first, and the dipstick and oil cap are seated properly. Would using a different oil weight cause this error? I'm wondering if the tech decided to put in a different weight for the winter and the car isn't liking it...
System Too Lean/ Fuel Air Metering is normally a MAF issue. Basically, system too lean is saying that the Fuel/Air ratio contains too much air.
When you say it's cold out, how cold is it exactly? This shouldn't really be happening at 35K miles...

Old 12-31-2014, 06:57 AM

287 posts, read 506,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
System Too Lean/ Fuel Air Metering is normally a MAF issue. Basically, system too lean is saying that the Fuel/Air ratio contains too much air.
When you say it's cold out, how cold is it exactly? This shouldn't really be happening at 35K miles...
It seems to only happen at ~32F or below. The first time it happened it was about 28F, the second time (this morning) it was around 24F.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:58 AM

807 posts, read 1,353,778 times
Quote:

Sounds like a possible vacuum leak.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:07 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:

If they opened the air filter box or anything like that, there is also the possibility that a vacuum hose got disconnected.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:26 AM

807 posts, read 1,353,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
If they opened the air filter box or anything like that, there is also the possibility that a vacuum hose got disconnected.
Yep. Maybe give your crankcase ventilation hose a check.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:40 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
If it has 35K miles and is a 2012, just take it to the dealership. It should still be under warranty.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:53 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
^^^ Yup.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:00 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Indeed.. This is a code that is not one that you can look at from the code alone.. This is where a scanner that can read the freeze frame data of what statuses were when the condition was logged will help diagnose.

The important part of the error is this.

PCM detected that the LONGFT was over 100, or that the SHRTFT was below 94

What we don't know, is which was the case.

The main things that get focus on something like this are, as others have mentioned.. MAF sensor problems, a vacuum leak, fuel system issues (Weakening fuel pump, fuel filter problem) or an exhaust system leak.

None of which you really want to deal with when your car is under warranty. Other than maybe looking under the hood to see if there's a hose disconnected, or as you mentioned, the dipstick or oil cap being loose.

My guess is that perhaps you have a leak in a gasket (Intake would be my guess) that is sealing itself when the engine comes up to operating temperature. so, the engine is getting more air than the MAF is indicating, until you come up to temp and it basically seals itself up.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:10 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
If your bumper to bumper warranty expires at 36k you better not drive it anywhere except to the dealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive