Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 02:29 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,216 times

Advertisements

Where I live in the suburbs of NYC, gas prices have not yet fallen below $2 gallon, which surprises me given the current price of a barrel of oil. I remember when prices dipped below $2/gallon here back in 2008, and for some reason I think that the price per barrel then was around $67, and now it's around $53.

I don't think the current prices will last long though. I think that prices will begin to climb back upward again within the next month or so, and by May or June will be above $3/gallon again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 02:32 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamofYoungsville View Post
I got rid of all my gas-guzzlers and now I drive a fuel efficient Volkswagen diesel. That way I don't have to worry about gas prices too much.
Whenever I go to the gas station, diesel fuel seems to be the highest priced fuel available. Even if your car gets good fuel economy, how much are you spending per fillup on diesel? How many miles between fillups?

Old 01-01-2015, 02:35 PM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamofYoungsville View Post
I got rid of all my gas-guzzlers and now I drive a fuel efficient Volkswagen diesel. That way I don't have to worry about gas prices too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Whenever I go to the gas station, diesel fuel seems to be the highest priced fuel available. Even if your car gets good fuel economy, how much are you spending per fillup on diesel? How many miles between fillups?

Technically he's correct, since he runs diesel he doesn't have to worry about gas prices.

He apparently doesn't know where diesel comes from, though.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Yeah, falling for it. We could have been changing transportation policy to favor rail freight transportation (which is 3 times more fuel-efficient than trucks). We could have quit subsidizing sprawl with taxpayer money and at least make it pay its own way. We could have restructured fuel and vehicle taxes to favor conservation, rather than consumption. Instead, we sit around and pine for lower fuel prices and let foreign countries manipulate the energy markets and transfer more and more of America's diminishing capital and wealth to them. All so that we can have a good time now, and the hell with the future.
Oh, by ''we'' you meant the government...I thought you meant you and me and regular people.
What is the average person to do?
Even when we recognize what is happening, then?
What are you doing? What can be done ?

Old 01-01-2015, 02:38 PM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Oh, the original question about when prices will go up.

They went up today on MD due to an increase in the gas tax. Since it's indexed as a percentage and not a set amount there are already people complaining that it's not going up enough (the increase was approved when gas was $3.60 or so a gallon).

Old 01-01-2015, 02:54 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I expect it will take over a year until most of the alternative sources of petroleum are forced to stop production because their oil cannot be priced at a profitable level.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:32 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
As soon as Saudi Arabia and other oil exporting countries have succeeded in killing off a good chunk of the domestic high-cost oil production in the US. That shouldn't take more than six months to a year, and, once accomplished, it will take years for the US to rebuild that production capacity. Meanwhile, the oil-exporting countries will, once again, have us (excuse the pun) over the barrel. People like me, who have been around since the first oil crisis in 1973, just have to stand in amazement at how Americans have been continually been played for chumps like this for over four decades and we keep falling for it every time.
That is why I just bought a smaller car, I have better things to do with my money than spend it on gas.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Falling for it?
Do we have a choice or any power to change OPEC and whoever has a plan to ruin Russia?
You don't have a choice but you can get leverage which in turn gives you power to change.
You have a choice in buying a gas guzzler or a fuel efficient vehicle. I might need a car to get to and from work if I change companies. I'll have a choice between driving my diesel 1ton or buy a rip roaring gas guzzler v8 or a small commuter 4cylinder that gets good mileage.
I see a lot of people driving huge lifted trucks and SUvs by themselves to wherever not towing anything. Not that I realiy care. But in that same train of thought don't complain about gas prices when you drive a car that gets at best 16 mpg.

I think what the real message is we have a short attention span. Prices go up people panic and fire sell the family truckster. Prices drop they want the biggest thing on the road.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:02 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,939 times
They'll increase before summer again..... happens everytime. Just watch and see...

Old 01-01-2015, 05:09 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
"Should I buy a SUV" Thread got me to thinking.
When will gas prices go back up?
IMO should be moved to "Economics" C-D forum. There is, however, relevance to an individual's decision process around gas mileage, alternative fuel vehicles, etc.

I'll bite, thus.

Not quite what OP asked, but the decision to buy an electric or hybrid vehicle is not trivial. Emotionally, I'd say it's a good long-term play due to social trends and what may be better for society as a whole. Rationally, I haven't done the math and risk-analysis on, say, buying one of Elon Musk's upcoming X-series Teslas which, due now in 2016. Which may, or may not, have quite an effect on the domestic auto industry. Is electricity cheaper than gasoline, long term? Hmm. Seems to be the way the world's going, and IMO is utterly inexorable across a long enough timeline (decades).

Back to petro-vehicles: OP might want to take a few hours and comb through twenty or thirty more-thoughtful articles on what's occurring in petroleum supply and demand past few years. Forbes, Economist, BBC, etc.: analysis, not just "news." Making major economic decisions while "living in the moment", based solely upon currently plummeting prices, isn't too swift. But a good chunk of people do-so for that and other major decisions in their lives. If, that is, the price of gasoline is a significant factor to a particular person's livelihood: for some, it really is.

A lot is unknowable, but some is predictable. The "unknowable" is major war in the Middle East or other demand-shock event. Others might include another Depression, a sudden surge in availability of affordable electric vehicles (see earlier paragraph), etc. Personally, what I did not correctly guess was Saudi Arabia's response to events this past summer and fall: they chose not to change production volumes, leading to greater supply. Demand staying constant, prices naturally went down. I see as of today, New Year's Day, Iran is urging their enemy, Saudi Arabia, to "take action" on falling oil prices. Almost anything Iran is for, the United States should be against, strategically-speaking.

"Knowable," though, is ramp-up in domestic oil production and long-term capacity upswings (or downswings). It really isn't terribly difficult to see some of that stuff coming and understand at least mid-term trends and fallout. I have a set of suspicions about that. Others can formulate their own opinions based on their own conclusions.

Last edited by Blondebaerde; 01-01-2015 at 06:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive