Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 10:46 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Who can own a car with a low wage job?
Back in the early/mid 90s, I worked minimum wage (4.25 an hour) while in high school. My first car was an 87 Chevette Hatchback diesel. It was brown mixed with rust brown. The AC didn't work, it came with 4 flat tires, but it ran. I got the car for free. All I had to do was get it out of the guys back yard. I bought 4 new (used) tires and the car was good to go. Summers in Florida sucked but I was happy to have a car. I understand this was 20 years ago, but not much has changed. Cheap cars are all over the place, you just have to look.

Maybe kids have this fear of not looking cool in a car with rust while holding their brand new iphone 6 plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 11:42 AM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alester237 View Post
...Much more than previous generations might understand, most of what many millenials need/want can be found online (much of it for free too, when it comes to entertainment and socializing at least): entertainment (games, movies, tv shows, youtube and other random videos, etc), socializing, school work and related documents (many schools, especially colleges, have assignments that can only be completed online), or even just work in general. A cellphone or pc is just something to connect us to that online world. A car is also unnecessary to get to and from one website to another ^^. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
In other words, you don't want/need the freedom that comes with having your own transportation. You are comfortable being dependent on transportation provided by government.
I'd opine that alester237's position isn't necessarily one of dependency on government, vs. rugged individualism. There's much entrepreneurial activity, self-starting and unorthodox exploration amongst youth, and much craven dependency amongst the more "seasoned" generation. It takes all kinds.

Rather, the point isn't political. The point is that the new generation prefers software, while the old prefers hardware. The new would rather write smart-phone apps. The old would rather do welding, machining, adjusting distributor timing and carburetor jets and camber/toe settings. The older generation likes torque-wrenches and TIG-welders. The newer generation prefers object-oriented programming.

Simply put, if you're a software guy, a car is a car is a car... whether it's a RWD supercharged V8 or a FWD 4-cylinder. You don't care about horsepower or 0-60 times. You care about the functionality of the dashboard LCD. The car is just an appliance, a thing to use to get from A to B. If there are other things to use for doing the A-B route, things that cost less or don't require parking or oil-changes, then those other things are going to be more appealing. It's not about public vs. private, mass vs. individual. It's about hands-on physical objects with bolts and screws, vs. cyber "objects" with do-loops and conditionals. That's the real generational difference - and not politics.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:21 PM

51 posts, read 60,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
In other words, you don't want/need the freedom that comes with having your own transportation. You are comfortable being dependent on transportation provided by government.

Your #5 is a massive exaggeration, isn't it? Modern cars have smartphone integration, whether for music or something else. And of course there is PBS, probably in every city. Many local stations, unrelated to corporate media. I am too cheap to pay for satellite radio, but the choices are nearly endless. For some of us, driving is fun.
Wouldn't the less free option be being forced into buying a car and paying for all of its associated expenses because there is no viable public transportation? At least if there is some decent public transit you can choose to take it or just keep driving your car. It's precisely that lack of choice that makes me hate driving that much more.

Yes, 5 is exaggerated of course, but the point remains that it's mostly just listening that you can do in a car ( unless you are a passenger).

Old 01-05-2015, 02:26 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Uber is proof that people, especially younger gen are more likely to use ride sharing services than car ownership.

No. Uber or Lyft are limited in scope now. They also are going to start getting regulated. Younger generation can only use either if they're available. Which they aren't. As well as being, in my opinion, a bit faddish.

I must admit the lesser people that hate driving on the road the better.

Auto accidents have surpass other natural causes of death, eventually it may become the #1 cause of deaths.
Uh, no. In fact deaths by auto accidents have been steadily dropping for the last couple decades even with a massive increase in total miles driven.

Bold for delineation not emphasis.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:53 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alester237 View Post
Wouldn't the less free option be being forced into buying a car and paying for all of its associated expenses because there is no viable public transportation? At least if there is some decent public transit you can choose to take it or just keep driving your car. It's precisely that lack of choice that makes me hate driving that much more.
Maybe.

To others -- many others, possibly the majority -- not having to depend on someone else's schedule or predetermined route is well worth the associated expenses that you mention.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:07 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Uber is proof that people, especially younger gen are more likely to use ride sharing services than car ownership.

I must admit the lesser people that hate driving on the road the better.

Auto accidents have surpass other natural causes of death, eventually it may become the #1 cause of deaths.
The rideshare model is in its infancy, but I see this general concept as a coming wave. It probably won't kill the private auto, but it could put a huge dent in it. Imagine a big fleet of roving vans. You enter your 'from' and 'to' addresses into your smart phone, and within five minutes a van pulls up to your door with other passengers headed in your same direction. People are dropped off and picked up along the way, all managed by software to strike a balance between minimizing cost and minimizing travel time.

This could be incredibly cost effective, while being even more convenient that the private automobile. It will probably take another 15-20 years before we get there, and by then the millennials will rapidly aging. We might never get there at all. The rideshare concept is already running into serious political opposition from Democrats, and public sector union interests are going to fight it tooth and nail.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:38 PM

236 posts, read 370,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Wrong there, too. Fuel taxes only pay for part of the exorbitant cost of the road system. A goodly portion is paid by taxes from federal, state, and local general funds--those supported by various income, sales, and property taxes. I happen to know, since I used to work in government budgeting functions.
Yes, yes you do:

UPDATED: Drivers Cover Just 51 Percent of U.S. Road Spending | Streetsblog USA

A new report from the Tax Foundation shows 50.7 percent of America’s road spending comes from gas taxes, tolls, and other fees levied on drivers. The other 49.3 percent? Well, that comes from general tax dollars, just like education and health care. The way we spend on roads has nothing to do with the free market, or even how much people use roads.

“Nationwide in 2010, state and local governments raised $37 billion in motor fuel taxes and $12 billion in tolls and non-fuel taxes, but spent $155 billion on highways,” writes the Tax Foundation’s Joseph Henchman. Another $28 billion of that $155 billion comes from revenue from the federal gas tax.

Meanwhile, transit fares cover 21 percent of costs nationwide, indicating that the difference in subsidies for roads and transit is not as great as it’s often made out to be. (Though in absolute terms, there is a big difference: The total subsidy for roads dwarfs the total subsidy for transit.)

Old 01-05-2015, 04:40 PM

236 posts, read 370,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
current 2015 sales forecasts are now projecting 16.5 million new vehicle sales.

highest sales level since 2007.

doesn't look like a trend to abandoning cars in this marketplace.
I have seen estimate that next year sales will touch a whopping 20 million!

Old 01-05-2015, 06:51 PM

539 posts, read 523,196 times
I'm 22 and I value walking and public transportation. I enjoy seeing and feeling everything going on around me, and you cannot do that in a car. Also, I am afraid of getting a DUI.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:07 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I'd opine that alester237's position isn't necessarily one of dependency on government, vs. rugged individualism. There's much entrepreneurial activity, self-starting and unorthodox exploration amongst youth, and much craven dependency amongst the more "seasoned" generation. It takes all kinds.

Rather, the point isn't political. The point is that the new generation prefers software, while the old prefers hardware. The new would rather write smart-phone apps. The old would rather do welding, machining, adjusting distributor timing and carburetor jets and camber/toe settings. The older generation likes torque-wrenches and TIG-welders. The newer generation prefers object-oriented programming.

Simply put, if you're a software guy, a car is a car is a car... whether it's a RWD supercharged V8 or a FWD 4-cylinder. You don't care about horsepower or 0-60 times. You care about the functionality of the dashboard LCD. The car is just an appliance, a thing to use to get from A to B. If there are other things to use for doing the A-B route, things that cost less or don't require parking or oil-changes, then those other things are going to be more appealing. It's not about public vs. private, mass vs. individual. It's about hands-on physical objects with bolts and screws, vs. cyber "objects" with do-loops and conditionals. That's the real generational difference - and not politics.
Your analogy is interesting. Except it is too simple. For example - me. I am a software guy, since 1981. That is what I do for a living. I like both software and hardware. I like cars because they are incredible machines that give me freedom.

Just because older people did more work with their hands than younger people is just an indicator of technology evolution.

I don't feel forced to have one. I desire one (or more). Public transportation is OK - I've been on some of the best in the world. Very convenient, but sharing space all the time....is not for me.

I disagree that today's youth are software people. Most of them have no idea what powers the things they use and like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive