Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 03:30 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times

Advertisements

I wish I didn't have to own a car but I can't be without

I never sat down and figured out how much it really costs to drive. I estimated my cost is $0.34 per mile (The car is paid for). Never before had I thought about a 10 mile trip costing me $3.40 . Ugh. I wish I never thought about how much it really costs to drive...it was a lot more fun before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 05:55 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
This from a guy who gave up his ET career to pursue Christian music. Way to be a 1-hit-wonder, John.

I guess we're not average because we pay very little for our vehicles, which were purchased used for cash. How in the world would I get to work, which involves 60% travel.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:02 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I was listening to the radio while driving the other day, and I heard one of John Tesh's "Intelligence for Your Life" reports give a short list of things that, in his opinion, we no longer need to own. I was surprised when he said that we no longer need to own a car. According to AAA, the average American spends around $730/month to own and maintain their car (this includes monthly car payment, insurance, fuel and maintenance). If you drive your car less than 90 hours per month, the report said that it can actually be cheaper to use a service like Zip Car or use mass transit than to own a personal vehicle.

I think it might make sense for people who live in big cities and don't drive much to just use mass transit and rent a car when they need one to get out of town, but personally, I don't see myself giving up my car anytime soon. I've had my own car ever since I first went to college. Having your own car is about freedom: freedom to go wherever you want, whenever you want, and not having to depend on the schedule of a bus or a train. With the unusual hours I work in my current job, it wouldn't be practical for me to rely on public transportation to get to and from work anyway.

Have you ever thought about not owning a car/truck/SUV? Would you consider it?
When John Tesh offers to give me a ride wherever I need to go, I'll give up my car.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:04 PM

802 posts, read 1,366,974 times
wow i`d love to have $40 a month insurance for my cars
Im paying $213 a month for civic
and $205 a month for CR-V
and this is considered good price in Brooklyn especially my zip code which is most expensive in NY state.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:04 PM

427 posts, read 431,083 times
Even if you didn't need a car, would you want to? For me....HELL NO!

Old 01-04-2015, 06:06 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Did you know that in Texas bankruptcy law one of the provisions to the one declaring is that each and every driving age person must have access to a car? (or something like that, my father was a bankruptcy lawyer but he has been gone since 1998)

Texas is one of those places where you need a car. What is it they say? El Paso is closer to California than it is to Dallas?

One or two other things about the car or not. Say you are packing and the place you want to eat at says no guns allowed. If you don't have a car to lock it in, what are you going to do then? Or say you only go to the grocery store once a month. Can you really get it all home in one trip without a car?

Old 01-04-2015, 06:22 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times
Mass transit = no thanks I'm not riding with the unwashed masses.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:04 PM

29 posts, read 33,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
It would be absolutely impossible for me to not own a car in Dallas.
Same here in Miami. Not with how average the public transit system is down here, especially on certain routes. Plus catching a cab is very expensive.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:16 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
Ya, John Tesh, just the average man, do everything he says. Cuz he knows what the average guy deals with. Ya right.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:50 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,959 times
There is no public transportation in the town I currently reside. A car is a necessity in cities like this, unless you can bum a ride everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive