Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: want a driverless car?
Yes!!! 31 26.27%
No!! 79 66.95%
Dunno! 8 6.78%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:22 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
does it matter? if everyone around you is driving one, will you really feel safer?

and can you imagine how much your insurance would be?
Oh NO They won't. For those who sit doing what ever while their cage pilots them around, there still will be drivers, both good and bad.

When a driverless car sufferes a flat ot or some other break down, I don't know what will be programed, but what ever that is will likely still need man.

Air lines run on auto pilot, but a man is still needed to take off and more important land.

Before this can take place, we must somehow break from oil. There is a little problem there. If engines no longer use oil base fuels, bearings and gears will still need to be lubricated with something.

All this driverless stuff is pretty easy to dream up if the dreamer has no mechanical abilty what so ever. In the real world it's another thing.

I am old enough to have worked older cars. Back then you popped the hood and lo and behold there was a engine! Do that today and it a wiring tubing mess, and you have to look hard to find the engine.

Most of the stuff under the hood these days has very little to do with Go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 02:26 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Oh NO They won't. For those who sit doing what ever while their cage pilots them around, there still will be drivers, both good and bad.

When a driverless car sufferes a flat ot or some other break down, I don't know what will be programed, but what ever that is will likely still need man.

Air lines run on auto pilot, but a man is still needed to take off and more important land.

Before this can take place, we must somehow break from oil. There is a little problem there. If engines no longer use oil base fuels, bearings and gears will still need to be lubricated with something.

All this driverless stuff is pretty easy to dream up if the dreamer has no mechanical abilty what so ever. In the real world it's another thing.

I am old enough to have worked older cars. Back then you popped the hood and lo and behold there was a engine! Do that today and it a wiring tubing mess, and you have to look hard to find the engine.

Most of the stuff under the hood these days has very little to do with Go.
Have you watched any of the vids of driverless cars?

Old 06-29-2011, 02:37 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
A self piloted car will take countless incompetent brain dead drivers out from behind the wheel making travel safer for all.

I see that as a good thing....

Old 06-29-2011, 04:06 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
A self piloted car will take countless incompetent brain dead drivers out from behind the wheel making travel safer for all.

But what about those of us who are competent? I don't like it when competence is punished.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Have you watched any of the vids of driverless cars?
I am not sure. I have seen test cars with a camera mounted on the dash and driver drives remotely. Is this what you mean?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I am not sure. I have seen test cars with a camera mounted on the dash and driver drives remotely. Is this what you mean?
here is one. there are many others.

YouTube - ‪Google's Ass-kicking Self-Driving Car‬‏

they are not remote controlled. they do have the course assigned, but they do the navigation, speed, etc...

Old 06-29-2011, 08:15 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
You didn't have a HELL no option or I would have chosen it.

No wonder traffic deaths are rising....people are forgoing the last shred of driving (or any manual) skill and becoming stupider by the day.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
But what about those of us who are competent? I don't like it when competence is punished.
At the rate drivers sail past state drivers test I doubt that many drivers are skilled enough to operate a skate board let alone a car!!

Old 06-30-2011, 10:33 AM

Sorry 56 k mo dumb here. I can't get a video to load in my llife time. You could tell me what you see if you like.

Truely I don't look forward to a car that can be programmed to point B, and just go there alone.

There seems to be a need of that for some people who have 0 skills and 0 interested to learn any, but me, I am a hands on guy and I used to fix cars for a living as a pro. I still fix all my own cars,trucks and bikes , and do a select few customers too.

I work with my hands and body, building machines for Industry, and do a lot of other labors I wouldn't have a life with out.

I make things from wood, leather and a wide variety of metals, using hand tools and power tools precisely. I make tools of wood, stone, and metals almost every day.

I ride motorcycles any chances I get, and I get plenty of chances. I can see, and over the years have observed myself, there are non-drivers out there doing anything but drive.

But that isn't my way to live and it will never be my way to live. I love the feel of the wind and sometimes rain in my face riding motorcycles. I am not really thrilled with most cars, but a car that has a little get up and go, and can turn in the corners suits me pretty well just the same.

I like the open road with out lots of traffic, and am located in a place where that non-traffic exists. There are a few roads I can ride for about 40 miles and just be unlucky to see any other vehical at all.

LOL having a GPS here is worse than useless it will just get you lost. I am 100% sure of this, since there is a new addition to the household, a woman who isn't from here, and so bought a GPS to help her get around. So far 100% the GPS has her lost.

Being old fashion in most things, I still use the program called MAP.

I still shave myself when I do, and I won't be happy to turn that over to a computer either. One mistake and my throat gets slit. I really don't care about the blue screen of death, that problem belongs to the dammned computer.

Of course I won't live so long to see such a foolish device move a vehical as the norm, but I can rest assured that when the power grid drops so will the vehicals. Now I'ld like to be around to see that!

I know that will happen as sure as I know come winta', it's gonna snow, and when that happens the non-drivers amoung us will land in the ditch, which is a fair spectacle right now.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:28 PM

Driverless cars: Around the corner? - 1 - auto insurance - MSN Money

woot woot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive