Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 01:39 PM

403 posts, read 554,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
People who don't tie stuff down properly and it flies out of the vehicle. I know we all saw the car with a mattress or sheets of plywood tied with twine

Some people just flat out can't drive.

Some are too busy doing everything but driving. Texting yapping.

There are people who see the riad as a private race track.

Impatient douche bags with a get the hell out of my way I'm Mr IMPORTANT going to a important meeting doing important things are part of the problem with jerky jerky driving cutting people off speeding trying to get to their destination.

I think our drivers Ed and driving test/license application is a joke. I think there should be mandatory 6 months of testing period and a real driving safety school completion before you can apply for a test. Then a extensive written and driving test should be done.
I can't say how much this would help. The current system obviously can't prepare somebody for EVERY possible situation, but it prepares you for situations that are likely to come up. I would be ok with it if high schools had Driver's Ed had a year long class. Then student could learn to drive in the snow a little bit along with other weather conditions. I'm not sure if some states may do this or not, but Indiana does not.

Accidents that involve 2 or more cars occur because one driver, or multiple drivers, didn't reacted differently than the other driver thought they would. For instance, the right of way rules say that if 2 vehicles approach a stop sign at the same time, the one on the right has the right of way. How many times have you approached a stop sign at the same time as another vehicle, you signal for him to go, he stays there, signals you to go, so you go and as soon as you start to go, he goes also? If he had the intention of going, he should have gone when you motioned for him to go and definitely should not have motioned for you to go.

I was involved in an accident at the end of an exit ramp just this past Saturday. There's a stoplight at the end of this ramp. The light was red so I was stopped waiting for traffic to clear to turn right onto a 4 lane state highway. A Saturn rear-ended me and then the driver had the nerve to get out and ask me why I stopped. I looked at my car and the only damage appeared to be a good sized dent in my bumper. I looked at his car and it was damaged a bit more, but I don't know how much of it was from our accident and how much of it was from previous accidents for this guy since I was assuming he probably had them somewhat regularly. Neither one of us were hurt so I would have probably just let it go without getting the cops involved. Since he got out and was yelling at me, I made sure to call the cops just for the purpose of making him wait longer. I figured he would have changed his attitude when the cop showed up, but instead he kept on going on about how I shouldn't have stopped, I should have just went ahead and made my turn. I guess it didn't matter that there was a semi in my way on the state highway when this guy hit me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 07:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,209,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3_46041 View Post
I can't say how much this would help. The current system obviously can't prepare somebody for EVERY possible situation, but it prepares you for situations that are likely to come up. I would be ok with it if high schools had Driver's Ed had a year long class. Then student could learn to drive in the snow a little bit along with other weather conditions. I'm not sure if some states may do this or not, but Indiana does not.

Accidents that involve 2 or more cars occur because one driver, or multiple drivers, didn't reacted differently than the other driver thought they would. For instance, the right of way rules say that if 2 vehicles approach a stop sign at the same time, the one on the right has the right of way. How many times have you approached a stop sign at the same time as another vehicle, you signal for him to go, he stays there, signals you to go, so you go and as soon as you start to go, he goes also? If he had the intention of going, he should have gone when you motioned for him to go and definitely should not have motioned for you to go.

I was involved in an accident at the end of an exit ramp just this past Saturday. There's a stoplight at the end of this ramp. The light was red so I was stopped waiting for traffic to clear to turn right onto a 4 lane state highway. A Saturn rear-ended me and then the driver had the nerve to get out and ask me why I stopped. I looked at my car and the only damage appeared to be a good sized dent in my bumper. I looked at his car and it was damaged a bit more, but I don't know how much of it was from our accident and how much of it was from previous accidents for this guy since I was assuming he probably had them somewhat regularly. Neither one of us were hurt so I would have probably just let it go without getting the cops involved. Since he got out and was yelling at me, I made sure to call the cops just for the purpose of making him wait longer. I figured he would have changed his attitude when the cop showed up, but instead he kept on going on about how I shouldn't have stopped, I should have just went ahead and made my turn. I guess it didn't matter that there was a semi in my way on the state highway when this guy hit me.

Put your average American driver with 15 years of driving "experience" behind the wheel and put your average Sweede or German with a 2 year experience behind the wheel and the American will have his azz handed to him.

Have you ever seen a 4 way intersection with traffic lights out? Complete cluster duck. Our traffic schools and testing is horrendous. I wonder if people were called and given a surprise driver test how many would fail.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:17 AM

403 posts, read 554,053 times
I'm not doubting that our traffic schools are a joke. My point is that training is only really effective if everybody reacts the same way they were trained. Too many people, in this country especially, think the rules don't apply to them. You'll still have the idiots rushing/running red lights (obviously not a factor on the interstate), you'll still have the people that will stay in the left lane and then attempt to cut across 4 lanes of traffic to get to their exit that they somehow just noticed.

I can do better than a 4 way intersection with the traffic lights out. In my town, there is a 6 way intersection (2 state highways and then 2 city streets at about 45 degree angles to those. It's almost guaranteed that those lights will go out 3-4 times each summer and you're right, it's a complete mess. However, I don't feel that additional training will help unless there are also additional, and more severe, punishments for breaking the rules.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 831 times
People getting over in front of you and not checking their mirrors causes accidents! Per I-85 in NC

Old 05-31-2016, 01:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,497,336 times
Too many Americans lack defensive driving skills. I've seen accidents happened that are completely avoidable but happened because people have slow reaction times and poor hand eye coordination. I've seen someone lift their hand up just before hitting another car. Why would you do that!?

Old 05-31-2016, 10:12 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,286,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Understand--I'm not talking about very crowded LA freeways etc,
Actually, when the LA freeway is most crowded and backed up is when I see the least wrecks! It's usually during low volume and higher speeds that I see accidents.

I imagine the most wrecks happen as a result of people entering a lane at the same time someone else enters from the other side.. I've also seen distracted driving taking the highest toll... (backed up traffic then rear end because of failure to stop)

Old 06-01-2016, 04:57 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,536,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Then you have the speed differences.. 70mph speed limit, you have speeds ranging from 55 to 70. So, when that person doing 55 is in the right lane, as they should be.. Everyone in the right lane is trying to get into the left lane to get past them. While the left lane is full of the people who are already doing 80mph.

How is that an issue? 2 lane roads have a 55mph speed difference (or higher in western states) when you have to come to a complete stop because the car in front of you is making a left turn.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:22 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,803,759 times
If the flow of traffic is 85 mph or 90 mph on a 75 mph and someone sees an overzealous state trooper, it only takes one person to slam on their brakes to create a potentially messy situation.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:42 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,536,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
If the flow of traffic is 85 mph or 90 mph on a 75 mph and someone sees an overzealous state trooper, it only takes one person to slam on their brakes to create a potentially messy situation.
Ohio drivers are notorious for doing this.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:34 AM

8,241 posts, read 6,297,173 times
I see long black skid marks on LA area freeways all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive