Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 06:36 PM

174 posts, read 214,151 times

Advertisements

If I'm planning to store a vehicle (in the north; assume some sub-zero temps) for a year or more, what do I need to do to keep it from being damaged by sitting and/or the elements? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 07:10 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,998,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingthisplanet View Post
If I'm planning to store a vehicle (in the north; assume some sub-zero temps) for a year or more, what do I need to do to keep it from being damaged by sitting and/or the elements? Thanks!

Again, not enough information.

Covered storage? Heated storage? On pavement? In yard?
Traveling/working overseas?
Newer car? Older car? High mileage? Low mileage?

Old 06-12-2016, 10:14 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,740,564 times
Other than the heated storage statement I don't think it matters. I parked my Land Cruiser outside in a dirt lot at the Homer, Alaska airport for well over a year. All I did was get the oil changed, filled up the gas tank, and parked it. Made sure the emergency brake was NOT engaged. Disconnected the battery as well. When I returned I hooked up the battery and fired it up. The battery obviously wasn't still at full charge but the LC started with no problems. I can't see how it could be damaged sitting outside up north unless you have inadequate anti-freeze and/or washer fluid. Nothing else to hurt.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:12 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
I've frequently stored a car in the northeast for 2+ years. Here's what I do.

Location. Doesn't need to be heated, but you need a place where humidity won't be contained. Don't park on grass or moisty dirt unless you want your exhaust/brakelines/chassis to rust out on you. Try to stick to pavement/asphault.

Use a cover, but not a cheap one. Cheap ones will blow around and chafe the paint. A tight fitting one will restrict movement, and get one that allows moisture to release from under the cover, or you run into rust issues as in the first point I made.

Overinflate the tires. Will prevent flat-spotting although I've never personally had this issue. I've let the car sit on the tires, or I've put it on jackstands. If you yank the wheels and put it on stands, put the stands on the suspension to keep it loaded. Storing a car with the suspension unloaded will cause the extended shocks/struts to possible rust on the shafts, and may cause issues when weight is put back on the suspension. Plus sometimes the car seems "lifted" for a few weeks after this until it settles back down again.

Battery. Pull it out and out it on a trickle charger. if the car is ina garage/storage unit, you can leave it in and hook the charger up. I recommend the Deltran battery charger. Your battery is not going to go 1-2 years without issue unless you trickle charge it. Or just let it go...and expect to possibly have to buy a new battery when the time comes. battery charger $40....new battery approx. $100. Your call.

Oil. Change the engine oil before parking it. This is to remove the oild oil which tends to contain acids from combustion that can do damage if allowed to sit. I've pulled engines apart that sat for months with old oil in them. Evereything stained a nasty yellow. I'd hate to go long term line this.

Rodent protection. Stuff socks with steel wool up your tailpipes, and I typically remove the airbox and block the throttle body to prevent rodents from making nests in there. I had the fun experience of trying to remove a mouse nest from a muffler once.

Fuel. I've topped the tank off and added fuel stabilizer. Not sure if this is best practice as the new E10 fuel tends to go bad after a year or so of sitting. I've had to siphone and add fuel to get a car to start, so not sure in the future if i'll top it off. I may go half a tank, and then add more right before starting the engine.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:15 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've frequently stored a car in the northeast for 2+ years. Here's what I do.

Location. Doesn't need to be heated, but you need a place where humidity won't be contained. Don't park on grass or moisty dirt unless you want your exhaust/brakelines/chassis to rust out on you. Try to stick to pavement/asphault.

Use a cover, but not a cheap one. Cheap ones will blow around and chafe the paint. A tight fitting one will restrict movement, and get one that allows moisture to release from under the cover, or you run into rust issues as in the first point I made.

Overinflate the tires. Will prevent flat-spotting although I've never personally had this issue. I've let the car sit on the tires, or I've put it on jackstands. If you yank the wheels and put it on stands, put the stands on the suspension to keep it loaded. Storing a car with the suspension unloaded will cause the extended shocks/struts to possible rust on the shafts, and may cause issues when weight is put back on the suspension. Plus sometimes the car seems "lifted" for a few weeks after this until it settles back down again.

Battery. Pull it out and out it on a trickle charger. if the car is ina garage/storage unit, you can leave it in and hook the charger up. I recommend the Deltran battery charger. Your battery is not going to go 1-2 years without issue unless you trickle charge it. Or just let it go...and expect to possibly have to buy a new battery when the time comes. battery charger $40....new battery approx. $100. Your call.

Oil. Change the engine oil before parking it. This is to remove the oild oil which tends to contain acids from combustion that can do damage if allowed to sit. I've pulled engines apart that sat for months with old oil in them. Evereything stained a nasty yellow. I'd hate to go long term line this.

Rodent protection. Stuff socks with steel wool up your tailpipes, and I typically remove the airbox and block the throttle body to prevent rodents from making nests in there. I had the fun experience of trying to remove a mouse nest from a muffler once.

Fuel. I've topped the tank off and added fuel stabilizer. Not sure if this is best practice as the new E10 fuel tends to go bad after a year or so of sitting. I've had to siphone and add fuel to get a car to start, so not sure in the future if i'll top it off. I may go half a tank, and then add more right before starting the engine.
^^this^^

Old 06-13-2016, 08:22 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingthisplanet View Post
The owner's manual should say what to do in cases of storage.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:09 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,532,289 times
You really don't have to remove the tires but it is advisable to get them off the ground and loading the suspension is a good idea. I think in addition to the steel wool up the exhaust pipe some mothballs placed around the engine and other places may help deter critters.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:44 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,818,891 times
If you're worried about rodents, throw fresh fabric softener sheets in the cabin, trunk, glove box, etc. Also, before you turn off the car for the last time make sure you set the air to Recirculate in order to close off the vents from the outside.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:17 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,866,474 times
I would get the tires off the ground.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
I haven't stored cars, but annual storage of farm machinery is pretty common. I change the oil, run it dry (gasoline) or stabilize the fuel (diesel), fog the cylinders and intake valves with ATF, then rock the engine so the valves are closed. I bag the intake and exhaust. Batteries go on a computerized maintainer, not a trickle charger. Equipment is stored in an open shed with plenty of air flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive