Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 03:16 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times

Advertisements

The main thing to remember about ANY advertisement a private party used car is:
"This vehicle is sold AS IS, WHERE IS, with NO warranty expressed or implied!"
What you see is what you get.
Another thing to remember is that the seller is on the lookout for scams even more than the buyer is. If the seller says that you must put "I WANT YOUR CAR" in the subject line of your email, you best put it there or the seller will delete without reading! If the seller says "Cash only, no shipping" don't bother to ask if you can bring a Cashier's Check!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 03:40 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This. I have run ads in CL before selling used vehicles. I have always been honest about the vehicles I'm selling. I also encourage buyers to take the vehicle to their mechanic before deciding whether or not they want to buy it. They never listen to that suggestion. Buying a vehicle on CL is just like buying a used vehicle anywhere else. It is nearly always an as-is sale. ALWAYS take the vehicle you are interested in buying to the mechanic BEFORE you buy it. Taking it BEFORE, not after, can save you the thousands of dollars you might otherwise waste unknowingly buying a lemon.
I don't have a ton of experience buying or selling over-$100 items on CL, but my buddy's bought a couple cars there. His ditz ex-wife got taken on a POS Saturn, but she was pretty ripe to be taken. The buddy, in contrast, bought his son an older E39 BMW (530i) that was pretty much what was expected for a high-mileage version.

He had it taken to the local BMW non-dealer, high-performance guys, in Bellevue WA, for pre-buy inspection with owner's blessing. That always helps. No surprises, fair price. To the quoted, anyone who "doesn't" do that on a used BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, or similar needs their head examined: problems can be very expensive.

Come to think of it, I've been the subject matter expert (SME) on motorcycle buys by others a few times. Wasn't my money, though, and I've spotted some trouble in my day.

I've bought one car cross-country, which worked out pretty well. Wasn't CL, but something rather similar. I had a bank and Notary involved at the car's location, plus an agent on my team (I'm joking: my agent was my dad, who vetted the car).

Old 01-11-2015, 07:17 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy09 View Post
I've never used craigslist before,but I've been looking at some used cars from individual owners on it, and I don't know what to think overall about it vs say a dealership.

For instance these two vehicles seem to good to be true.

$2,700, 1 owner. Elderly women. A 2004 4 door truck with cab. 80,000 miles or so miles on it.

$1, 700, 2001, Lincoln Town car. 90,000 or so miles.

Also there are some that are clean, miles are okayish, but have problems like need water pump or car shakes. How concerning are these?

Also what are two many miles for a used car?
Ive bought 2. Let me just say that a CARFAX will save u alot of heartache and help u to dodge a bullet. One guy had flipped back the mileage, the other guy let the tags expire and didnt tell me about an ENgine valve that needed to be replaced ($700)

In regards to the miles, I would say that depends on what the state the car has been driven. If possible, avoid any car from a bumper to bumper city like NYC or Boston

Just go into it knowing in all likelihood the person will probably be leaving out a key detail. Also expect them to kill the phone they're using or to stop taking ur calls

THE CARFAX like I said is helpful, but if I did it again, i would have a checklist and go down it. The last guy came with the car running and I never bothered to check if the unlocked the doors.....it didnt

Old 01-11-2015, 07:26 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Craigslist is neither trustworthy nor untrustworthy. It is the individual that puts in the ad. Craigslist is just modern day want ads like the ones that are or were printed in the newspaper.
^
THIS

/thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:33 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
I have bought and sold on craigslist.

Just get a feel for the owner, or potential buyer. Ask questions. Guage the reply. Etc. Don't feel pressured if you have a funny feeling.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:34 PM

861 posts, read 1,335,816 times
I would say ebay and Autotrader is more trustworthy. Why? Because they charge money to advertise which means scammers are less likely to use them. They prefer free sites where they can pull their scams without a paper trail.

As long as you use common sense like not sending cash via Western Union and test drive/have it inspected by a mechanic prior to purchase, you should be fine.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:55 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
While I see your point I would not give anymore than my email address when responding to CL. I want to see who I am dealing with first.

I have free mail accounts for such contacts. They are separate from my personal life; everyone should have such.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:11 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
One problem with buying from a private sale, especially if the vehicle is a newer year is that there is probably a finance company/bank lien on the vehicle. In most cases, the vehicle is being sold for less than what is owed. If the vehicle is over priced, the owner is looking for you to pay the balance.
But no matter the year of the vehicle, most important is- does the person selling the vehicle have the legal right to do so and do they have title in their name.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:19 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
If any is ever serious about buying a used car a 30 day subscription to CARFAX is a must.

CL is full of car flippers. Look for ads touting cars just bought or inherited from an older person - 80s - and it being a one owner car. CARFAX will indicate whenever the car was retitled=sold, when the registration was renewed, and usually point out how many owners the car has had.

CARFAX isn't totally accurate as it is dependent on facilities reporting info. I have found cars supposedly owned by elderly grandmothers which turn out to be sold/resold in auctions. CARFAX WILL tell you that much.

Look out for ads in which the seller is moving and can't take the car with them though they just spent $$$ on tires, battery, oil change, tune up and had the transmission replaced 3K miles ago. Chances are they are flipping the car.

I don't even look at cars which the seller claims to have replaced everything the serpentine belt turns within the past few months.

I often find the last two examples cars recently bought at auction and sometimes not even titled yet.

Lots of private sellers are actually salesmen at a used car lot. Walk from that.

If buying from CL one must be a detective as well as car savvy. People sell junk all day and some people buy it.

I am still looking for a 2000s Camry or Avalon.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
My experience with CL (~20 cars), is it is a lot more reliable than a dealer... (you can actually TALK to the owner and quiz them). I don't buy flippers / auction / people who claim to be FSBO; but don't have the title in their name.

As with all transactions, you best know what you are buying (what it is worth, common issues, what to examine), how to determine condition, how to negotiate, and how to do the transaction.

I will say a couple times I have wondered if I would get picked up from the airport when flying in to fetch a CL deal.

So far, so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive