Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:10 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times

Advertisements

Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren - they will all do whatever you want to the car as long as you are willing to pay for it. But you can't find a new Ferrari on Autotrader because Ferrari tightly controls supply to keep demand up. I think any Ferrari you want to buy has at least some wait time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 12:23 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Just lol at everyone taking about grocery runs. The person that buys that car will have between four and ten other cars, all expensive, and will write a half-million dollar check for it without blinking an eye. In fact, he probably won't even show up for it, it will be delivered to his house or an assistant will pick it up. It'll be a fun toy car that gets driven 2500 ,lies a year until he gets bored with it and buys something else.

Some people have a financial net worth that's just staggering. That's who a half-million dollar car is aimed at. Not people concerned if it's practical for their lifestyle, or even concerned about the cost of the car.
You're dead on. Let's just say I know someone who has a 2006 Ford GT and was watching the Ford press conference today to check out the new Ford GT because they'd like to have a pair in the garage.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren - they will all do whatever you want to the car as long as you are willing to pay for it. But you can't find a new Ferrari on Autotrader because Ferrari tightly controls supply to keep demand up. I think any Ferrari you want to buy has at least some wait time.
It's my understanding that you can't get on the list to buy a new Ferrari unless you've had a used one. Not sure if that's still the case but it was about 5 years ago.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
No.....not "car in."

Did you have trouble learning to count on your fingers when you were a small child?

Let me help you out this time:

1. I
2. had
3. my
4. car
5. in
So? That tells me you own a car. Whoop de doo. It certainly doesn't imply that you've got a supercar. Or even a Maserati.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Personally, I wouldn't because I don't put much value on a car, beyond it needs to get me and all my stuff to where I want to go.

However, for a car collector, half a million is probably getting up into investment grade cars and with careful shopping and studying the market, a half million dollar car might easily go up in value over time.

(Most likely best to not pay dealer prices if you are collecting)
You're very right. The 2006 Ford GT went for about $175K give or take. Now they're going for $300K on a regular basis (that would be used ones). There are definitely fewer around due to people who don't know how to drive a car like that.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Id take a 512BB for that price, no if's, and's, or but's.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:36 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I had my car in for service at the dealer today so I strolled around the lot and the showroom looking at all of the new and used cars for sale when I came across this one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
So? That tells me you own a car. Whoop de doo. It certainly doesn't imply that you've got a supercar. Or even a Maserati.
No of course not. The fact that I was taking my car into a Ferrari/Maserati dealership in order to be serviced in no way should signify that I am most likely driving a Ferrari or a Maserati should it? I'm sure that many people with Fords, Chevys, Toyotas, etc., take their car to a Ferrari/Maserati dealership for an oil change or other work.

Do you always have this much difficulty with deductive reasoning?

Old 01-12-2015, 12:47 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
You can find used Testarossa's for under $50k. Ran into this creepy guy years ago who was rocking one, he wore leather pants and his hair was permanently slicked back...like a bad episode of Miami Vice...but, he did have a 12 cylinder Ferrari as his "nice weather" car....not bad.

2 years ago TR's were sub 50K......now they are approaching double that and if you want the actual Miami Vice car then it is 1.75mm: "Miami Vice" Ferrari Testarossa Hits eBay For $1.7M | BallerStatus.com

Old 01-12-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:

You're very right. The 2006 Ford GT went for about $175K give or take. Now they're going for $300K on a regular basis (that would be used ones). There are definitely fewer around due to people who don't know how to drive a car like that.

Here is an 8 mile example for 395K: 2005 Ford GT | Copley Motorcars

Old 01-12-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
It's my understanding that you can't get on the list to buy a new Ferrari unless you've had a used one. Not sure if that's still the case but it was about 5 years ago.

Not true......just find a dealer with an open allocation. A super rare car like an Enzo/GTO would never go to a "new to the brand owner" but production stuff like 458/California wouldn't be an issue. My buddy bought his first new Ferrari at Ferrari of Palm Beach in 2011 and has since bought a couple more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive