Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:55 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Technology is almost ready, but are drivers?

DETROIT - Cars that drive themselves — even parking at their destination — could be ready for sale within a decade, General Motors Corp. executives say.

GM, parts suppliers, university engineers and other automakers all are working on vehicles that could revolutionize short- and long-distance travel. And Tuesday at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas GM Chief Executive Rick Wagoner will devote part of his speech to the driverless vehicles.

GM researching driverless cars - CES 2008 - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 11:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quite honestly, I trust a driverless car a hell of a lot more than I trust the legions of mopes out there to whom state DMVs dispense drivers' licenses practically indiscriminately.

All of the pieces of the technology are already there: adaptable cruise control that will automatically accelerate and brake to maintain following distance, with at least one system capable of applying full brake power in an emergency situation if needed; lane departure warning systems; cars that steer themselves such as while parking. All that's left to do is to refine/improve some of these systems (particularly lane departure) and then integrate them.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:51 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Nope, I want to be in control

Old 01-07-2008, 08:24 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Quite honestly, I trust a driverless car a hell of a lot more than I trust the legions of mopes out there to whom state DMVs dispense drivers' licenses practically indiscriminately.

All of the pieces of the technology are already there: adaptable cruise control that will automatically accelerate and brake to maintain following distance, with at least one system capable of applying full brake power in an emergency situation if needed; lane departure warning systems; cars that steer themselves such as while parking. All that's left to do is to refine/improve some of these systems (particularly lane departure) and then integrate them.
I agree. And a driverless car's driver won't be yakking on a cellphone or putting on makeup while driving, either.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:05 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
I'd trust it more than I trust the jerk in the next lane. But, I'd like the option of turning off the auto control and driving it myself if need be.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:46 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
Since half of the cars out there have people behind the wheels that are more involved with their phone conversation than they are with what's happening around them, I'm all for automated roadways.

People don't want to drive any more. They want to chat on the phone or listen to music or send text messages and emails or watch movies.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:21 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,393 times
This idea has been talked about for a long time. Usually this is called "ITS", or "intelligent transportation systems". Not so much cars that drive themselves, but being able to provide drivers with more information to drive safely in traffic.

One thing I'm wondering about is how will driverless cars cope with the fact that there are many road-legal conveyances out there besides automobiles. Motorcycles, bicycles, velomobiles, etc. They have to be detected in any system used.

Honda has demonstrated concepts of a system where cars and motorcycles/scooters have transponders located inside the vehicle. Honda Worldwide | September 2, 2005 "Honda Completes Development of ASV-3 Advanced Safety Vehicles" . The system will also detect pedestrians. The car system uses force feedback on the steering wheel and braking assist to try and avoid collisions. The motorcycle/scooter system uses audio/visual warnings and a rearview camera.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:57 PM

394 posts, read 2,003,152 times
I was also thinking that it couldn't be any worse than some of the morons I see on the roads.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:00 PM

141 posts, read 686,208 times
It will happen, but I think we have a lot of high tech work to do on the roads all across the country to make it totally driverless. You may see technology help you out a lot, but we are a long way off from being driverless. Sure wish I could see a hundred or so years down the road, no one will be driving a car then, I imagine all cars will be driverless and accidents will be reduced. What will all the cities do about the lost revenue that is generated from speeding tickets right now? We have a very long way to go, and other less developed countries have even farther. Fun to think about though.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:37 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
A computer can do just about anything better than humans. The problem is... its given its direction by computers. Like others have said, I'd trust a computer over most of the morons on the road these days. But i can also see a malfunction cause worse accidents...

All in all, it'd be a great feature on a vehicle. But I also like to drive myself at times... so it really needs to be an option. I do see it as a great alternative to trucking and mass transits..... but it'll probably cause controversies with jobs and such....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive