Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:42 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times

Advertisements

I used to think I knew it all about fuel prices and what affected them. If the spread between unleaded and diesel was very small (and/or if diesel was cheaper), the main problem is gasoline refining capacity. If diesel is substantially more expensive than unleaded, the main problem is crude oil prices.

At least that's what explained everything for years, until this recent run-down in prices. Now I have seen stations where the spread between diesel and unleaded is an unprecedented $1.60 per gallon, with diesel standing at almost twice the price of gasoline. This all when oil is trading below $45! They talk about how oil is at its lowest price since early 2009. I know that fuel prices tend to lag oil prices, but in early 2009 I had a diesel truck. I recall diesel getting down as low as $1.89 per gallon. It seems, then, that it need not be $3.29 per gallon when oil is maybe only 33% higher than it was in early 2009. Gasoline prices seem to be commensurately pacing the run-down in oil prices but diesel prices are not.

Any explanation for why this is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 04:37 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
A combo of 'reasons', off the top of my head:
-many states have a higher per gallon tax on diesel vs gasoline
-low sulphur diesel regs in the US require add'l refining steps
-on avg, a bbl of oil is yielding 19 gals of gas vs 12 gal of diesel
-less demand for diesel vs gasoline, at the pumps
-home heating oil, (basically diesel), is in demand all winter
-diesel is a worldwide commodity in ever increasing demand; gasoline less so.
-'marginizing' the product, as the refiners know that besides the much smaller popl of diesels vs cars/small trucks, the big trucks need and the mkt has thus far borne it.

My 50Cts...
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 01-14-2015 at 04:56 AM..

Old 01-14-2015, 05:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
A combo of 'reasons', off the top of my head:
-many states have a higher per gallon tax on diesel vs gasoline
-low sulphur diesel regs in the US require add'l refining steps
-on avg, a bbl of oil is yielding 19 gals of gas vs 12 gal of diesel
-less demand for diesel vs gasoline, at the pumps
-home heating oil, (basically diesel), is in demand all winter
-diesel is a worldwide commodity in ever increasing demand; gasoline less so.
-'marginizing' the product, as the refiners know that besides the much smaller popl of diesels vs cars/small trucks, the big trucks need and the mkt has thus far borne it.

My 50Cts...
GL, mD
This is the biggest reason, and why the diesel price gets much closer to gas in summer when thre is no demand for home heating oil.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:03 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is the biggest reason, and why the diesel price gets much closer to gas in summer when thre is no demand for home heating oil.
The demand for diesel is always in demand, in Europe most cars and lt trucks are diesel. All trains use diesel, as well as ships, and everyone's navy except the nuclear powerd ships and subs. Every trucking company uses diesel. And most of your industeral back up generator's also. So you see why diesel is not cheaper than gas. Also most truckers never shut their engines off in the winter in the colder climates. And diesel dose not go up because of no demand for heating oil in the summer. It's supply and demand and diesel is always in demand around the world.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:38 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
The demand for diesel is always in demand, in Europe most cars and lt trucks are diesel. All trains use diesel, as well as ships, and everyone's navy except the nuclear powerd ships and subs. Every trucking company uses diesel. And most of your industeral back up generator's also. So you see why diesel is not cheaper than gas. Also most truckers never shut their engines off in the winter in the colder climates. And diesel dose not go up because of no demand for heating oil in the summer. It's supply and demand and diesel is always in demand around the world.
All trains are diesel? No they are not. Most freight trains in the US have diesel locomotives. Most high speed rail systems around the world are electric. The Amtrak Acela train is electric. Almost every "metro" system, whether above ground or subway, is electric.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:15 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
All trains are diesel? No they are not. Most freight trains in the US have diesel locomotives. Most high speed rail systems around the world are electric. The Amtrak Acela train is electric. Almost every "metro" system, whether above ground or subway, is electric.
Sorry I ment freight only like Norfolk and southern, and the CN. I know high speed rail and subway trains are electric. Don't have a stroke ok why do pencils have erasers because everyone makes mistakes.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:17 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
It's expensive because we don't have the govt support and demand to improve the logistics of delivering the fuel.

Not many gas stations carry it so they have to charge more to hold the fuel in order to make a profit. For petro they go with volume so prices are lower.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:59 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times
I'd believe all of this without question, except for the following truths:

1) Diesel was historically cheaper than gas. I recall it always being cheaper than gas in the late 1990's when I started driving, and many other people have backed up this assertion.

2) When diesel was cheaper than gas, all trucks and most trains and buses still used diesel. Furthermore, their fuel economy was worse than it is now, so demand was surely still quite high.

3) Diesel cars have always been popular in Europe. Heck, from Europe came the first mass-marketed diesel cars in the US - bearing the Volkswagen emblem in the 1970's.

Is there any good reason why, in light of all of these conditions, there have been times in recent memory when diesel was substantially cheaper than gasoline?

Old 01-14-2015, 09:15 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Taxes are part of it.. Diesel tax is about 20 cents more per gallon.. Varies per state, but.. Decent rule of thumb.

Diesel has far more energy than the same amount of gas. But, it requires lower refining.

Here's a good article that discusses some of the reasons

Why Diesel Costs More Than Gasoline | NACS Online

Old 01-14-2015, 09:30 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
The biggest reason actually has not been stated yet.

In November 31% of the diesel refined in the US was exported.

This is perfect for the refiners because they sell their products to countries that will pay more for it. It then restricts the supply in the US. Since the demand for diesel is high the elevates the diesel cost in the US. Perfect storm. Nothing personal. Just business.

Combine a restricted supply do to exportation with fall harvest diesel demand, switching diesel to a winter blend, and winter home heating oil demand you have a big difference in price. Now summer will be interesting if the cost of oil remains low. Normally , diesel prices drop in the spring because of lowered demand and reverting back to a summer blend. Typically petrol prices rise in the spring / summer due to increased demand. We could be setting up for some interesting diesel prices compared to petrol.

Granted my last tank of diesel was $2.45 a gallon. Hand calculated 49.1 mpg

Diesel does have more BTUs per gallon so you are buying more energy per unit. Combined with the fact a diesel engine is more efficient than a petrol engine it works pretty well.

This trend started with the ultra low sulfur diesel around 2007. (I am theorizing here) US refineries were the first to make it. So when the rest of the developed countries started requiring it they had to import it. That is when the exporting trend started. If you look at the exporting trends on diesel it is pretty amazing and does seem to coincide with the cost of diesel rising above petrol. Although the initial requirement for ULSD in the US spiked the cost of diesel. Since the refiners were passing on the cost of the new equipment.

Here is a past post to back up my comments with facts....

--------------
I found some interesting information...I have always heard that the US exports a lot of diesel to markets that will pay more for it and as a result it helps keeps the prices elevated here

Exports
4-Week Avg U.S. Exports of Total Distillate (Thousand Barrels per Day)

Imports
4-Week Avg U.S. Imports of Distillate Fuel Oil (Thousand Barrels per Day)

Totals produced
4-Week Avg U.S. Refiner Net Production of Distillate Fuel Oil, 0 to 15 ppm Sulfur (Thousand Barrels per Day)

Looks like we exported 31% of the diesel refined in November.

I also find it interesting that we are refining A LOT MORE diesel than gas. We have been since at least 2010...as far back as the charts go on that website.

Weekly Refiner Net Production
Weekly U.S. Refiner Net Production of Finished Motor Gasoline (Thousand Barrels per Day)

Weird. We are refining MORE diesel than gas. Wouldn't that serve to push diesel prices down? Or is it something to do with gas reserves?

Last edited by wankel7; 01-14-2015 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive