Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 01:56 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
This trick won't work because clearing the codes causes all monitors to go into the "not ready" state. The inspector will fail a car with more than one "not ready" monitor.

After clearing the codes, driving normally for a week or two brings the monitors back into "ready" state, but the MIL will come back too. (MIL = Malfunction Indicator Light, a/k/a Service Engine Soon light, a/k/a Check Engine Light.)

Daniel B. Martin

Ah I forgot about that...good call!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 02:07 PM

142 posts, read 677,376 times
Clearing the MIL "before" an emissions test always worked for me. My now-sold car had a bad charcoal canister that needed to be replaced and always tripped the MIL. I would clear the MIL, drive for about 40-50 miles (the MIL usually trips around 80-100 miles after reset, depending on how I drive) to get the monitors back into "ready" state, and then drive to the emissions test location... never failed an inspection.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:09 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoua1 View Post
Clearing the MIL "before" an emissions test always worked for me. My now-sold car had a bad charcoal canister that needed to be replaced and always tripped the MIL. I would clear the MIL, drive for about 40-50 miles (the MIL usually trips around 80-100 miles after reset, depending on how I drive) to get the monitors back into "ready" state, and then drive to the emissions test location... never failed an inspection.
No reason you would. MIL isn't lit, and drive cycles were completed after the reset. The point being made is if the drive cycles aren't complete you won't pass.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:23 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
OBD II, that is a LOT harder to get away with.

On my 2005 truck, I had to jump the battery the other day, which.. Obviously, a dead battery removes the codes.

If I hook a solid tester up to it now, it shows the Misfire and Catalyst System tests are not complete.

If I actually had problems, "Pending" codes would show up as well.

And, of course, if they stick the probe up the tailpipe and actually measure emissions.. It would fail if something were out of whack.

All depends on what states do. some have no emissions testing.. Some only look to see if the MIL/CEL is lit up.. Some check whether the tests have completed on the computer, some actually test the gases coming out the tailpipe. Virginia is one that I know of that does the latter. I'd assume California as well, but.. Don't know that for sure.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:48 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,028 times
A bad ECM, short in the power circuit to the ECM or bad ECM fuse can cause the Check Engine Light to come on without setting a code. These can be a ***** to figure out. It is a Chrysler product so.......

I was at a car dealer auction a couple of years ago and as a Chrysler 300 rolled up on the block, the auctioneer announce "The Check Engine Light is on." One of the older dealers standing in the lane bidding on cars yelled back at him "Show me a Chrysler without the Check Engine Light on!" Everybody laughed and shook their head and then the auction went on. lol

The auto parts places like Autozone, Advance, etc. usually have OBDII code readers in their loan a tool that you can borrow by placing a deposit. You can then go read codes and clear them yourself if you want. If it were me, I would do as has been suggested and buy one on Amazon. I use one of the bluetooth type that communicates with my android phone and I use the TorqueScan app. It works great and I have not found a car yet it would not work with.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:59 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Did the person who reads the codes do it right? Was the key in the "on" posiition? Did you try the "key dance" (off-on(not start) 3 times in a few seconds, then watch the odometer) method? It works on my van (same kind as yours).

Old 01-14-2015, 08:02 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
If the ECU Relay/Fuse is blown, you won't get a code, but the light will be on.
If this fuse is blown, the car wouldn't make it to autozone. It would be dead where its at.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:21 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
The factory service manual will have situations listed such as this where no code can be read - and will also have complete troubleshooting instructions for tracking down the problem.

When all else fails, read the instructions! (Factory troubleshooting and repair instructions.)

Old 01-14-2015, 08:25 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Remove the negative battery cable and leave the headlights on for 30 mins. Then hook the cable back up and start the engine. If the light comes back on, take it to the dealership.
Do you mix in some cartwheels and headstands, too, because that's utterly pointless.

I can waste 30 mins by using my code scanner and figuring the issue out.

Anyway, OP, AutoZone scanners might be too basic to pull some codes.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:44 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I'd just clear it by removing the battery ground for 2 minutes. Then watch for it to come back on. Sometimes a code will throw and never come back, glitch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive