Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 04:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
instead of a high/low beam switch, they need like 4 or 5 levels of brightness, like they do with windshield wipers. In fact they should automate it (like auto wipers), increasing or decreasing light output depending on ambient light conditions. There's no reason why you need a gazillion candle-foot power on a residential street in urban neighborhoods.
I think we're headed in this direction with computerized lighting. We already have auto leveling headlights, lighting that turns corners and laser lighting is already offered on high end vehicles. We're getting to a point where beam shaping and variable brightness aren't far fetched.

Already happening. Current systems sure aren't cheap though.

__
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 05:21 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
I was thinking about this lately too. I am still driving an old 1997 Mustang and often feel like my headlights are OFF when surrounded by some of the newer lighting systems. When a vehicle with those high power HID lights gets behind me on a dark road, my headlight beam simply gets overwhelmed and ceases to exist. I even can see the shadow of my own car in front of me due to the zillion candlepower lights shining at me from behind. It's amazing how bright some of these headlights are getting.

And with tail lights, the newer Dodge models take the cake. The entire back end is lit. Looks cool, but I wonder if there is a point of diminishing returns to where the lighting is so busy that the brain starts to tune it out.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:25 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I was thinking about this lately too. I am still driving an old 1997 Mustang and often feel like my headlights are OFF when surrounded by some of the newer lighting systems. When a vehicle with those high power HID lights gets behind me on a dark road, my headlight beam simply gets overwhelmed and ceases to exist. I even can see the shadow of my own car in front of me due to the zillion candlepower lights shining at me from behind. It's amazing how bright some of these headlights are getting.

And with tail lights, the newer Dodge models take the cake. The entire back end is lit. Looks cool, but I wonder if there is a point of diminishing returns to where the lighting is so busy that the brain starts to tune it out.
Part of the issue is that lighting equipment has always had a styling element to it. It's often referred to as the jewelry on a vehicle. Because of this it will serve its intended purpose and be a tool by automotive designers to differentiate its vehicles.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:37 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post

I hate that. It's just constant light in my face. At least it's a dim red but still it's just too much.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:39 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
As mentioned earlier, a lot of it has to do with the color temperature, not necessarily the power. Older headlights usually appear a more yellow shade, kind of like the lamp next to your reading chair. The whiter light is just nuts. It's painfully blinding in some cars, especially when they first showed up in the Mercedes and Lexus lines. I remember wanting to throw stuff at those cars because the lights were unbearable. And then the tuner market got involved.......

I seem to recall a few Lincoln models where the headlight would dim on the side of the car where the turn signal was activated and I actually liked it, especially if it was the left blinker and I was approaching the Lincoln in the opposing lane. I may be nuts, but I feel like the eye is drawn to a flashing light, even when it is surrounded by a blinding white light. I thought it was nice to know someone intended to turn and I wasn't staring directly into someone's Sylvanias to realize it.

The new Dodge taillights SUCK! I don't do a lot of driving at night, but the past few times I have been out I have had the "pleasure" of getting behind one of these exciting designs and I want to pull over and let someone take my spot. The lights are distracting. It's just too much. I'm sure some people think they look cool, but I don't.

I also think someone posted saying there is no regulation about the number of lights facing forward. In many states there are such regulations. I think the car manufacturers are getting a little bit of leeway because all of those LEDs are a unit and considered one light. I think those regs are more for the idiot that wants to run with 50 lights all lit on the front of their vehicle like they were running the Baja 1000. I've seen those people before. They're jerks.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:04 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It seems the designers creating the headlights and tail lights of new cars have been doing some LSD or worse. Some of these cars are lit up like a Christmas Tree driving down the damn road.

New Tahoes have the ugly bracket lights with the blinkers inside take the cake. So stupid looking
Great question / observation, PullMyFinger . . .

Headlights and Tail Lights are right up there with so many of the new vehicle "whistles and bells" nowadays, ridiculously and outrageously overkill in most cases.

Who needs or wants a couple dozen LEDs for Turn Signals or Tail Lights that run the full width of the vehicle? Do they make the driving experience any safer or better . . . I think NOT. The only positive is for the guy running the replacement bulb shop and/or the mechanic replacing these high-tech expensive gimmicks, definitely not for the owner footing the bill.

Who needs to start their vehicle from thirty feet away or have their vehicle unlock when the key holder arrives within six feet?

Unfortunately, you show me a ridiculous new feature or flashy Headlights / Tail Lights and I'll show you a MAJOR HEADACHE and a HUGE EXPENSE in a couple of years.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:54 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,268,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
As mentioned earlier, a lot of it has to do with the color temperature, not necessarily the power. Older headlights usually appear a more yellow shade, kind of like the lamp next to your reading chair. The whiter light is just nuts.
I know what you mean about color temp. I saw a pair of LED headlamps here that actually had a pink cast, and they were bright but not piercing. I'd really like to see more of those; I've only seen that once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you need to activate the rear sunshade to deal with the problem, that says a lot about the scope of the problem...
No doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
You should see the custom head & tail lights on so many cars and trucks here in Mexico City. It's apparently not illegal to put Christmas lights all over your car here.
Wow--is that just at the holidays or all year round? It sounds hilarious but I can see how it could be a pain. I googled Christmas lights on vehicles--there are some wild photos on there!

Old 01-16-2015, 09:08 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
As mentioned earlier, a lot of it has to do with the color temperature, not necessarily the power. Older headlights usually appear a more yellow shade, kind of like the lamp next to your reading chair. The whiter light is just nuts. It's painfully blinding in some cars, especially when they first showed up in the Mercedes and Lexus lines. I remember wanting to throw stuff at those cars because the lights were unbearable. And then the tuner market got involved.......

I seem to recall a few Lincoln models where the headlight would dim on the side of the car where the turn signal was activated and I actually liked it, especially if it was the left blinker and I was approaching the Lincoln in the opposing lane. I may be nuts, but I feel like the eye is drawn to a flashing light, even when it is surrounded by a blinding white light. I thought it was nice to know someone intended to turn and I wasn't staring directly into someone's Sylvanias to realize it.

The new Dodge taillights SUCK! I don't do a lot of driving at night, but the past few times I have been out I have had the "pleasure" of getting behind one of these exciting designs and I want to pull over and let someone take my spot. The lights are distracting. It's just too much. I'm sure some people think they look cool, but I don't.

I also think someone posted saying there is no regulation about the number of lights facing forward. In many states there are such regulations. I think the car manufacturers are getting a little bit of leeway because all of those LEDs are a unit and considered one light. I think those regs are more for the idiot that wants to run with 50 lights all lit on the front of their vehicle like they were running the Baja 1000. I've seen those people before. They're jerks.
NHTSA has had a safety standard for lamps, reflective devices and associated equipment since 1968. The purpose of the standard is to reduce traffic crashes and injuries resulting from traffic incidents, by providing adequate illumination of the roadway, and by enhancing the conspicuity of motor vehicles on public roads. Blame the federal govt. the automakers have to follow federal guidelines. They just can't do what they want on a whim. Everything the automakers do is tested out to meet federal requirements. So complain all you want the automakers are just following the law.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:16 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
I know what you mean about color temp. I saw a pair of LED headlamps here that actually had a pink cast, and they were bright but not piercing. I'd really like to see more of those; I've only seen that once.

No doubt.

Wow--is that just at the holidays or all year round? It sounds hilarious but I can see how it could be a pain. I googled Christmas lights on vehicles--there are some wild photos on there!
The pink color you saw was due to xenon bulb failure. HID's turn pink as they age.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The pink color you saw was due to xenon bulb failure. HID's turn pink as they age.
Either that or it was some aftermarket bulb or filter tint. I've seen people driving around with headlights tinted everything from yellow-orange to green to cobalt blue nearly purple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive