Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:17 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times

Advertisements

Get stuck in stop and go traffic in L.A. for 2 hours and you will think your "clutch foot" is going to fall off! (And quickly head to the nearest car dealer to buy an automatic...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 07:38 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Most vehicles in general are Autos. Most Jeeps vehicles are autos and so are most Wranglers.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:41 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Try driving a stick jeep in Boston. Or Moab.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:51 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
My 199x Cherokee had an auto and I beat the snot out of it offroad. I obviously didn't go through the most extreme trails, but I'd bash it down a power line trail with little care other than the police seeing me. The auto trans was plenty capable for that. I'd imagine that would be the most extreme situation most Jeeps would see as far as offroading goes. Anything beyond that and you get people doing mods to suspension, engine, etc.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:54 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
As long as I can take a breath, manuals trans will never be dead.

2015 Chevy, GMC, and RAM all have trucks and cars (Chevy) with manual transmissions.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:56 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Try driving a stick jeep in Boston. Or Moab.
I used to drive one in the NY boroughs, and had no trouble. Traffic jambs where all cars are at a standstill all you have to do is to put the transmission in neutral. Traffic jambs where the traffic is moving a mile or two per hour, all you do is to shift to the lowest gear needed at the moment, and let the vehicle crawl ahead, often without pressing the gas pedal. What do you think big rig drivers do in heavy traffic?

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-16-2015 at 08:11 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 09:03 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
i got a cj5 with a manual , when i was trying sell it, nobody wanted it, nobody could drive a stick, its a lost art. everybody wants an automatic so their wife can drive it, but in reality, they can't drive a stick either.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:24 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I used to drive one in the NY boroughs, and had no trouble. Traffic jambs where all cars are at a standstill all you have to do is to put the transmission in neutral. Traffic jambs where the traffic is moving a mile or two per hour, all you do is to shift to the lowest gear needed at the moment, and let the vehicle crawl ahead, often without pressing the gas pedal. What do you think big rig drivers do in heavy traffic?
Try only having to hit the gas and brakes. I completely understand people who prefer manual, but I gave up on them because I think 30 miles of stop and go bumper to bumper highway traffic was a pain in the booty. And my company is slowly replacing all their big trucks with international push button autos. Talk about saving my left foot. Many others are doing the same.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:18 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Which are still around as classics.
They are?

Old 01-17-2015, 02:58 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
As others have pointed out, automatic transmissions have advanced technologically far more than have manual transmissions. Comparisons quite valid in the 1970s would be laughable today. Even so, my personal sentiment leans towards the manuals.

BTW, all such debates eventually bring up the example of Europe, where manual transmissions are still ubiquitous. Somehow in European traffic the drivers manage to do OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Electronic engine management and fuel injection systems have also ended the days of tow starting a vehicle if its electrical system isn't putting out full voltage.
This is profoundly unfortunate. I've yet to buy a vehicle built in the 21st century. My late 1990s cars (OBD-II) with manual transmission can indeed be push-started. This was essential on several occasions with dead batteries in wintertime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Get stuck in stop and go traffic in L.A. for 2 hours and you will think your "clutch foot" is going to fall off! (And quickly head to the nearest car dealer to buy an automatic...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I used to drive one in the NY boroughs, and had no trouble. ...
I drove a manual transmission for ~5 years in Los Angeles traffic. It was at times mildly unpleasant in the heaviest congestion, but a fair compromise for the pleasures of when traffic finally thins out. A manual on the inclines of San Francisco was considerably more challenging!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive