Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:04 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Do you talk to people in your car while you are driving?
Because it's the exact same thing
I think it's not the same thing - if you talk to people in your car most will talk depending on traffic at least serious stuff where you are "more" engaged while the person on the phone has no idea about your traffic. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 06:05 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Radio adjustment can be done by pushing a button with my thumb on the steering wheel.
I don't ever have to look away from the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So can answering a phone call. Just a button on the steering wheel.
Glass_of_merlot is spot on. If I am driving and the phone rings, I hit the button on my steering wheel and talk. I have a microphone by my visor and all conversation comes through the car's speakers. If I want to make a call, I hit a button with my thumb and say "Call Stan", and then soon Stan's voice is coming through the speakers. I don't have to look at anything except the road. My hands never leave the steering wheel.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:22 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Salesman gave me a shocked look when I said I don't want to connect my phone to my car. Told him I don't talk on the phone while driving. That also got me a shocked look.
Your the best!

Old 01-22-2015, 11:05 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Me, either.

When I'm driving, I drive. I'll live longer that way.
I am the same way, I rarely have passengers and if they talk and I miss what they say, too bad, my primary attention is the road and what is around me. I have avoided many accidents that I would have otherwise been a part of, if I had been distracted by a phone, a passenger, food or a beverage. My first truck did not have a radio and I got used to it after 10 years, my next truck also did not have a radio and after another 10 years it felt normal to not have music while driving. The next truck I got had a radio and a cd player and I found it a major distraction, so kept it off, I got a brand new truck in 2006 with a 6 disc cd changer. I may as well not have a radio or cd player, I never use it.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:12 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Without distractions of a phone or radio, I have avoided accidents from other drivers that are distracted. I do not have control over the other drivers, but I can be as aware of what they are doing as is possible if there are no distractions. 50% of the time that I see a weaving driver or are erratic in speed, they are on their phone talking or texting, I even saw a driver fly right through an enforced intersection while having a hands free coversation, she stopped about 200 feet after she went through the stop sign when she realized what she did, as if that made up for running the intersection. When I am driving, I am 100% driving.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-24-2015 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 01-23-2015, 08:16 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Honestly, if someone can't handle the minor distraction of a radio, I'm not sure they should really BE driving...
There are a lot of things going on at once when operating a vehicle, and one still needs to be ready to react to the actions of OTHER drivers. If someone can't handle the quiet drone of the radio in the background, how are they going to handle suddenly hitting a patch of black ice??

Old 01-23-2015, 11:02 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
I think it's easier for me to listen to my wife in the car over listening to the phone conversation in the car because of my hearing problems. If the audio isn't clear I have trouble understanding what is being said. Even having the phone to my ear (cell phone) I have trouble understanding the person on the other end. This isn't a problem if I and the other person are both on landline phones that have crystal clear audio clarity. When cell phones went digital, I have trouble with the digital distortion noises. When it was analog, I could still understand the caller through the white noise in the background because phones built back then had high quality ear piece speakers. Today's thin smart phones have lousy ear piece speakers since the goal is thin size and texting.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:55 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I think it's easier for me to listen to my wife in the car over listening to the phone conversation in the car because of my hearing problems. If the audio isn't clear I have trouble understanding what is being said. Even having the phone to my ear (cell phone) I have trouble understanding the person on the other end. This isn't a problem if I and the other person are both on landline phones that have crystal clear audio clarity. When cell phones went digital, I have trouble with the digital distortion noises. When it was analog, I could still understand the caller through the white noise in the background because phones built back then had high quality ear piece speakers. Today's thin smart phones have lousy ear piece speakers since the goal is thin size and texting.

We're talking about using the car's bluetooth. Your title even says you were talking about the car's bluetooth hands free.
Ie, the phone is still in your pocket/console/purse etc, no one's holding anything, and the speakers are as good as your car made them since the call is coming through the radio. You did understand thats what the dealer was talking about, right?

My mike is next to my rear view mirror and picks me up quite well. Hitting a button on my steering wheel answers a call, or makes one, with the addition of the command "call home" or whomever.
The whole thing takes less effort than setting the cruise...

Last edited by itsMeFred; 01-23-2015 at 12:12 PM..

Old 01-23-2015, 12:43 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
I don't use bluetooth, because I have a set of JVC ear buds that are comfortable and very high fidelity. I stream music or audio books on long drives. If I get an incoming call, the audio program automatically pauses while I'm on the phone, then resumes when I hang up.

I don't make outgoing calls while I am driving, though voice recognition on my old Blackberry let me do that hands free years ago. I should check into it, but if I need to make a call I can just pull over somewhere.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:46 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post

We're talking about using the car's bluetooth. Your title even says you were talking about the car's bluetooth hands free.
Ie, the phone is still in your pocket/console/purse etc, no one's holding anything, and the speakers are as good as your car made them since the call is coming through the radio. You did understand thats what the dealer was talking about, right?

My mike is next to my rear view mirror and picks me up quite well. Hitting a button on my steering wheel answers a call, or makes one, with the addition of the command "call home" or whomever.
The whole thing takes less effort than setting the cruise...
The speaker will only play as good as the quality it receives. I've talked to people who were on their cell while I was on a landline and I had trouble understanding what was said due to digital distortion. It was easier than when I was on my cell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive