Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 02:14 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,256,544 times

Advertisements

Thickening of the owner's manual says more about the owners than the car. Here is what you need to know. Start the engine, put it it in drive and go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 04:43 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Thickening of the owner's manual says more about the owners than the car. Here is what you need to know. Start the engine, put it it in drive and go.
Things aren't so simple today. Some automatics have an autoshift setting and no low gear selectors. Some cars have built in alarm systems and you need to read the manual to know how it operates. Some have break-in periods and instructions for the car. Some have cabin air filters located in unusual places. Some don't have a spare tire, just a compressor & sealant to inflate a flat tire. Some vehicles have hidden storage compartments. I had one car that said in the owners manual that to accelerate fast from a dead stop you must press the gas 1/2 to 3/4 way down and if trying to pass a vehicle you must press the gas all the way down. I tried it and it worked. Flooring the gas at a stop made it accelerate slower than pressing 1/2 to 3/4 down. If you have kids, you need to know where all the child car seat anchor spots are located. If the car's transmission has L1, L2, or L3 then how fast and long can you drive in each setting and under what conditions should you use them? If your transmission has a manual shift setting then does it only shift if you move the lever or does it shift automatically if it gets close to redline if you don't shift? These are things to know.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:35 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,243,908 times
Vehicles are more complicated, and then the manufacturers are adding info not only on how to connect seat belts and child seats but how much alcohol is dangerous. Then you have driver information centers and they describe each message, Mylink (or similar) systems and they describe how to use all the controls, navigation systems, etc. Vehicles are getting very complex and offering more options and more items standard.
For the manufacturer it is cheaper to produce one manual that covers all the (example) models of Silverado pickup trucks made from the bare bones work truck to the top of the line High Country. The owner's manual is a federal requirement and has an actual part number and must leave the assembly plant with it in the vehicle. So having one vs. five or six makes it easier to distribute at the end of the line and cheaper to print, even if it is getting larger.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:49 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,247 times
Something interesting I've noticed in regards to the manual is they don't spend much time anymore telling people how to drive a standard transmission.
And a lot of descriptions where you "have to be in P (N for manual)" often don't even include the parenthetical instructions for the standard transmission.

Is the assumption that no one buys manual transmissions anymore so we don't even deserve parentheses?
(Or are we just expected to be smarter than the masses driving automatics? )

Old 01-24-2015, 07:52 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Something interesting I've noticed in regards to the manual is they don't spend much time anymore telling people how to drive a standard transmission.
A lot of descriptions where you "have to be in P (N for manual)" often don't include the parenthetical instructions for the standard transmission.

Is the assumption that no one buys manual transmissions anymore so we don't even deserve parentheses?
(Or are we just expected to be smarter than the masses driving automatics? )

There's not a standard transmission option for most vehicles anymore . No need to put anything in the manual.

Which begs the question: if it's not available much why is it still called "standard".

Old 01-24-2015, 07:55 AM

I've only read manuals lately that HAVE standard transmissions, so that sure isn't it.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I've only read manuals lately that HAVE standard transmissions, so that sure isn't it.
Then it would be in those.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:24 AM

lol
Seriously?
Did you even read my first post?

The manual that came with my new 5spd said barely anything about the transmission operation or variances in general tasks that are created by the different transmissions.
It's a big change from what one would see in a similar manual 10 years ago, and certainly different than what it was 25 or 30 years ago.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:36 AM

Maybe they figure if you buy a standard you know how to drive it. Your first post wasn't as clear as you think.

The manual for my F150 with SelectShift goes into some detail on how to manage that. And it's not that difficult (but it is a pain in the ass due to placement of the shifter button on the shifter).

Old 01-24-2015, 09:04 AM

That is indeed how it appears. 1.5 pages for operation of the manual and 5.5 pages for the automatic...
Truth be told, I tend to assume if someone buys an automatic they probably know how to drive IT, too. But, I suppose all this new Select Shift and Dual Clutch stuff does have a learning curve. Whereas the basic function of a 6 speed hasn't changed much since it was a 3 speed.

To the user's manual itself, mine is 463 bible-thin pages, including the appendices. But then there are also three supplementary manuals! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive