Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:21 AM

17 posts, read 39,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
So, in your opinion, the Tahoe is better than the Escalade? Right now, the Tahoe and Escalade Hybrids are on my list and I can't make my mind up.
In quality it goes Tahoe, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Escalade. I was going up with Escalade being the top. I believe only the Tahoe and Yukon will have the Hybrid two mode transmission because it is only available on the 5.3L V8 and the Escalade is a 6.2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 09:34 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
Okay, here's a good one for you (evil grin)

1996 Ford Ranger 3.0L automatic. The temp gauge on the dash doesn't move in the winter, and in the summer will only just barely get above the baseline. I tried pulling the codes, but there weren't any. So my first thought was that my thermostat had failed in the open position, and I changed it. Didn't fix the problem.

Okay, so maybe the gauge itself is faulty -- tested it, and I can peg it when it gets a signal. Not the gauge.

So then I thought maybe the temperature sensor that sends the coolant temp to the gauge was faulty, so I changed that. Nope. So after that, I changed out the coolant sensor that sends info to the computer itself. No luck.

As far as I'm aware there's nothing else that would affect that gauge reading. I do know the truck is running cool, because my gas mileage has dropped a bit. But, it's not running completely cold because I can get great heat from the heater in the dead of winter here. Any suggestions on where else to go (please don't tell me my computer is wonky!! LOL)

Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
it will all depend if jim press and the rest of the new chrystler justice league can do their jobs.
...dude
I was kidding about the dude thing. I am hoping to see a turnaround in all the domestic manufacturers.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:07 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
To RoaminRed - first, you can usually start up a vehicle and let it idle up to temp with the radiator cap off, if this is true of your truck get a dip-type dial thermometer and see what the top tank temperature or hot side temp is. If it's correct it should be 180 to about 200F (depends on the model, etc. - a shop manual would have the figure)

Usually you can take the rad. cap off on a running and warm (fully warmed up) engine but be careful venting off the pressure. Starting from cold with the cap off is a little safer.

If the actual temp is correct, either you have a bad connection in the sensing wire (almost always this will be a plug where wires join) or bad connection to the gauge, bad power connection to the gauge, or even a bad gauge.

Most practical way to fix a bad gauge *may* be a whole replacement instrument cluster from a junkyard.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:22 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfibraio View Post
In quality it goes Tahoe, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Escalade. I was going up with Escalade being the top. I believe only the Tahoe and Yukon will have the Hybrid two mode transmission because it is only available on the 5.3L V8 and the Escalade is a 6.2.
I don't know the specifics, but the Escalade Hyrbrid is supposed to go on sale this fall as a 2009 model. But I can't wait that long. I really like the Tahoe. I think the Yukon is too big for me, however.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:06 AM

17 posts, read 39,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I don't know the specifics, but the Escalade Hyrbrid is supposed to go on sale this fall as a 2009 model. But I can't wait that long. I really like the Tahoe. I think the Yukon is too big for me, however.
Yeah I looked into it and the Escalade will be built around summer time. The Yukon and Tahoe are being built now. All 3 are the same size unless you go with the Yukon Xl which is the size of the Suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive