Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 06:53 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times

Advertisements

These days, finding a small SUV with traditional 4WD is basically impossible. AWD is great for on road performance in slick conditions, but for those of us who venture off of the pavement once in a while it's not that useful. In loose sand, mud, gravel, etc...AWD systems get confused and think that you're spinning out of control and as a result don't perform well because it's just not what they're designed to do. What I'm wondering is, in the age of being able to manipulate computer controlled systems in a vehicle via a laptop and and OBDII port connection, would it be possible to make changes (not necessarily permanent) to the way an AWD system operates?

For example, if I'm going to take my small SUV surf fishing, could I program my AWD to function like a 4WD system with open differentials front and rear, or better yet, lock the rear differential and keep the front open? Then if I really needed it for climbing a hill or something similar, lock both differentials, at least until getting to the top, and then opening the front to make turning easier. Just wondering if there are any software platforms out there able to do this-it would certainly make something like an old Ford Escape or Toyota Highlander more fun to play around with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 07:08 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Depends on the AWD system, and how it works. One cannot necessarily "hack" a mechanical system. Something such as the system on a Dodge Charger can be turned on and off electronically, but one need not hack the computer to do it. Just turn off TC.

Why not just find a small SUV with a more off road capable AWD system to suit your needs. Subarus have an all time AWD system which constantly splits power front and rear and is not reactionary.

The Jeep Cherokee can be had with a few systems, including one with an active 4x4 system, low range, and rear locker.

Etc.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:41 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Any computer control system can be modified... But there will be an army of vehicle manufacturing company lawyers standing between you and access to that computer code and the manufacturer's technical people who know how it can be modified.

That is because the vehicle manufacturer is held responsible for anything which goes wrong with "their" vehicle.

The way it works is you modify something, that causes the car to get into an accident, then the vehicle manufacturer is held responsible.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:44 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
Yes if your willing to change out the the computers, (EMC and PCM) and don't forget the sensors and wiring harness as well !!!

In other words, NO !!!!

Old 01-28-2015, 07:52 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
In this day and age where they can’t figure out how turn off the check engine light I doubt you’d find a mechanic to hack your awd. And what do you mean by awd getting “confused”? I thought if you lose traction it behaves like 4wd.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:54 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Just get something with real 4x4, you can't just hack a driveline with a computer, you might be able to screw with the programing, but I doubt it would make a difference since awd is always active, and much better performance than a 4wd with open diffs. One of the real problems is not all awd systems are equal, most aren't performance systems, thus aren't always the best offroad, and it seems like more and more are going with a viscus coupling tcase, versus a torsen unit, or chain unit. For what you want to do with it, you need to find a "suv" that does not have a V/C, or is a performance model, or get a real 4wd.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
On our 2014 Escape the 4WD senses the slippage and applies the power to the front and/or back as needed. Where we run into problems with sand, deep snow or mud is not the AWD system but the traction control, which can be turned off using one of the screens on the dash and steering wheel controls. Traction control uses the brakes to limit spin, with it off you still have the AWD working but it doesn't get confused by the slipping/spinning. I have tried it in mild mud and it worked just like a normal 4WD such as on my Ranger.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:13 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Anyone who uses the term "hack" loses all credibility.

You want 4x4 you buy a vehicle that has 4x4. Sure you can buy a SUV that has an and select, but it always has a 4 wheel drive select.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:20 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,413 times
Awd <> 4wd.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:00 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
AWD is NOT four wheel drive, unless it has the capability of locking the differential in the transfer case.
Even then, it is not TRUE four wheel drive unless it has locking differentials in both front and rear axles.
If you want TRUE four wheel drive, I recommend the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. It comes stock with locking differentials front and rear. With the transfer case in LOW range, and both differentials locked, you have REAL TRUE four wheel drive!
Of course, the aftermarket parts are readily available to put lockers in nearly any AWD or 4X4 vehicle, and the transfer case can always be changed to convert AWD to 4WD.
All it takes is money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive