Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:00 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
New cars are expensive. My state charges 7% for sales tax. You buy a 30,000 car you need to write a $2,100 check to the state. My point here is too think about that when you think about a new car. Personally, it makes me think about not buying a new car.

It costs a lot more to insure a new car. Not only that what if you ball up the car six months after purchase? Your insurance company will give you a nice check for the value of the car. Minus the thousands in depreciation. Too bad you still owe a lot more than what the check is written for.

The OP should run the insurance costs for a new Jeep and a used one.
I'm quite sure someone considering a vehicle purchase is aware of sales tax and insurance requirements and the tax situation will be addresses in the sale contract. The OP has already stated how much money they have available for a down payment and monthly expenses, do you really think they need to be reminded of these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 11:08 PM

213 posts, read 237,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey001 View Post
Hi everyone!!!

I need a little bit of advice on purchasing my first car. This might sound a little crazy, but I am looking to purchase a 2014 jeep Cherokee. My credit is around a 720, but i have only had my credit card for a year and a half. I make enough money to afford to make payments up to $300 a month. I plan on putting about 6,200 down for the car.

I just wanna know if i can purchase this car without getting a loan through my bank or going through a credit union. I don't want to waste my time by going to a dealership and not leaving with a car.

thanks!!!!
I really do love that car! I wouldn't put any money down though, just get gap insurance for an extra couple of bucks a month. Save that $6200.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:56 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I'm quite sure someone considering a vehicle purchase is aware of sales tax and insurance requirements and the tax situation will be addresses in the sale contract. The OP has already stated how much money they have available for a down payment and monthly expenses, do you really think they need to be reminded of these things?
Well,I guess you get what you pay for with internet advice.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:52 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
I would pick a model with 0% financing, but check your credit union. The Cherokee is "Hot" right now, so there are not likely to be any smokin' deals.

Take a look at the Nissan X-Terra. It's similar, but has been out for a while and dealers want to move them quick.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:49 PM

410 posts, read 802,938 times
HI. Cars are not an investment! The worst thing you could do to yourself is get in a binding contract that will leave you with nothing if you default on payments. They'll repossess the car and keep your money and your credit rating will plummet.

Do some serious research on a reliable used car that you can pay cash. If you can find a nice deal on something certified, and it's more than your cash outlay, either negotiate it into the deal, or wait and save up more. Having security of repairs and no car payment will make you sleep better at night.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive