Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:43 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times

Advertisements

Where I live I see a lot of BMW 3 Series and Audi A4's but honestly don't see too many Mercedes vehicles. It's a weird anomaly. They all offer AWD options (very popular here).

For every MB I see there are at least 5-6 BMW/Audi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 09:50 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,226,693 times
In Northern NJ, I gonna have to say
3series>C class>A4

Old 01-29-2015, 10:10 AM

358 posts, read 886,537 times
I would have said the big three are BMW, Mercedes and VW.

Although I maintain a residence, I am not often there, so I cannot say I live in any one place. I travel a great deal and part of my occupation is observation. From my personal experience what I see: In the American Northeast, BMW and VW appear common. Mercedes less so, except in Manhattan. In the American Northwest, VW is common, but BMW and Mercedes less so. In the American Midwest none of them are common. VW probably being the most prevalent. In Florida, Mercedes is common followed by BMW, VW not so much. Texas - Mercedes is somewhat common, a few BMWs and VWs but not enough to call them common.

Porsche is quite common in California and somewhat common in New YorkCity and Boston areas. I am lumping them in with VW.

Audi is not all that common in my experience. They seem most common in the Northeast, quite a few in California and Florida. I do not recall ever seeing one in Texas. Oddly I see them with some regularity in the US automaker states (Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois). Those States tend to be overwhelmingly US based automakers vehicles (except Chicago).

These are merely my observations, it may well be the real spread of German makes is completely different.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:13 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
I would say locally in WNY, BMW and Mercedes have a similar following, followed a distant third by Audi. There is not an over abundance of any of them however. (Each with a single dealer serving the whole metro area).

Old 01-29-2015, 10:19 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Silicon Valley? You can't spit without hitting a Lexus, BMW, or Audi.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:08 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,578 times
In Dallas, split about evenly between BMW and M-B, with Audi catching up fast. And there are tons of them around.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:27 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
I live in Oslo, Norway:

1. BMW (1-3-5 Series, X1-3-5)
2. Audi (A4-5-6, Q3-5-7)
3. Mercedes-Benz (A-C-E-M-GLK-CLA Class)

Best-selling cars of 2014:
1. VW Golf (hatcback, wagon, EV version available)
2. Toyota Auris (compact hatchback)
3. Nissan Leaf
4. Skodia Octavia (VW-derived sedan and wagon)
5. Tesla Model S
6. Toyota Yaris
7. Mazda CX-5
8. VW up! (tiny hatchback, EV version available)
9. Toyota RAV4
10. Volvo V40 (small hatchback)

(EVs are highly subsidized)

Old 01-29-2015, 11:29 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
In Dallas, split about evenly between BMW and M-B, with Audi catching up fast. And there are tons of them around.
Agreed.
Until last year, I was the only person on our street that didn't have an MB.
Lots and lots of Lexus, too, though.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:36 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
BMW and Audi seem tied where I am in the western suburbs of Boston with more Q5's and X3's than anything else. In my town's 200-space commuter lot there are usually about 5 Q5's and 3 X3's. About 40 out of 200 cars are Audi/BMW, both of which outnumber every single other brand. Honda is probably #3. I don't see too many MB's. But then again, you know what they say ... you notice the car brands that you own more than other brands. I own an Audi, Honda and BMW. Go figure...

Old 01-29-2015, 11:37 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,721 times
It's quite opposite to the US here. In the US, if you drive a BMW or Audi, you're probably a doctor, lawyer or some other highly skilled, high income individual who earned their money with hard work and can actually afford the car.

Here, BMW-s are usually driven by late teens to mid twenties wannabe thugs who got their first job, live at home, and spend all their money trying to maintain a German money pit car. They're everywhere. It's almost shameful to drive one. A few cause massive highway wrecks every winter.
Lots of BMW X5-s and X6-s are driven by overweight leather jacket wearing Russian maffia types doing 50 km/h above the speed limit.

Audis are more of a "construction worker working in Norway making big money" type of car. A6-s everywhere, especially around construction sites, heh. Many owners also go for the successful businessman vibe.

Lexus is different as it's the only luxury brand that's worth the money. It lasts forever even on crappy roads. They're less powerful and hybrid which seems to keep the lowlife thug types away.

A common theme is young hot blondes driving newish luxury vehicles. But hey, they probably "worked" for it.

In general there's a lot of showing off going on as few people here can actually afford those cars. Living in a studio apartment and driving a BMW 7 series is a depressingly common way of life here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive