Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 04:53 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
What about SUVs? Seems all SUVs are driven by middle age men and women.

Never seen a teenager drive an SUV or minivan.

Car stereotypes are dumb.
Tons of teenagers drive SUVs. Go to any upper-middle class or greater high school parking lot. Tahoes, Yukons, 4Runners and Wranglers are abundant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 10:32 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
It can't be a merely economic argument, since (1) most sports cars depreciate precipitously, creating screaming bargains (examples: a $20K 8-year-old Corvette, a $15K 10-year-old BMW M3), and (2) liability-only insurance coverage rather weakly depends on the car being covered. In other words, it's not money that's preventing young men from buying sports cars. The same fellow who's foregoing a 5-year-old V8 Mustang or a 10-year-old Corvette is buying a brand-new Accord or Altima or Explorer for the same (or higher) price.

Rather, the prevailing view is that sports cars are ostentatious and gauche. They're toys suited only to persons whose lives are fully established and who can afford the frippery of something impractical, pompous and garish. And as goes the trope, only a middle-aged man would feel the need to compensate for insecurities in his life, for the travails of his corporate existence or his lack of peace at home. Younger men, being still enthusiastic and less jaded, occupy themselves with more productive and less foppish pursuits. Older men no longer care. And women are altogether too sensible to allow themselves to be swayed by such rubbish.

Nice stereotype, no?

As for "when" this happened... venturing a guess, the early-mid 1990s. That was the rise of the SUV and pickup, the decline of the Japanese sports car, the rise of the Internet (and the associated shift in tinkering from mechanical things to web-design and software).

Last edited by ohio_peasant; 02-03-2015 at 10:49 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 10:48 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I recently decided my hubby and I had a mutual mid-life crisis car; a two year old Ford Focus with 20,000 miles on it.

We've never bought anything so extravagent lol
My condolences.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:23 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,238 times
Yeah, we figured it was time to spend money on something foolish, like a too-new car

Old 02-04-2015, 07:48 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Dumbest post of the day so far. Who says these are mid-life cars? Yahoo?
Everyone that can't afford one.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:19 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I just bought a 2015, albeit a V6. My insurance went down from the previous Scion FR-S. USAA, paying around $300 / six months for decent full coverage.

I'm militantly single and blissfully childless, my commute is short and twisy, and I'm not a Taxi service.

The Mustang is not my kind of car and I made a mistake buying it. The only thing I really care about in a car is FUN. The FR-S was fun, the Mustang is a boring "regular" car, as some have mentioned. Conservative steering geometry, pathetically soft suspension, huge bloated car. I'm actively seeking a replacement (but this car depreciated more in a month than my FR-S did in 2.5 years).

Anyway, somebody mentioned mid-life crisis the other day at the bar and my purchase of this thing came up. It's not. It's a "mature" car, and probably understeers worse than a Camry. It's way less fun than the car I had before and the one before that.

The FR-S also isn't a mid-life crisis car either of course.

Also this Mustang is bad for dating. Intelligent woman takes one look at a big dumb Mustang and thinks she's with some dumbass dude-bro frat-boy. So, maybe it is mid-life crisis-worthy (just not for me), dunno...
Read your second paragraph again and tell me how you aren't a 'dude-bro frat-boy'

You know, if you live in Texas and you consider a mustang to be bloated, you need to wake up and look around you. Just because you drove a glorified go-kart before this, I think you may have damaged your ability to determine size. Next time try a motorcycle, they should provide you with everything you need.

And what 'intelligent woman' is looking for a 'militantly single' guy?

Old 02-04-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Still with kids here and a house we've only been in a handful of years that we still like to improve upon. I like my SUV because it can haul Home Depot stuff and I've thought about this for the future. Is that sort of thing not necessary when you're 50+? What do those aged people do for hauling stuff home? Surely renting a truck just for something like a fence, door, etc. is a bit of a hassle.
First, a lot of families have both a 'fun' car and a 'practical' vehicle like your SUV.

Second, do you really want to haul items like fencing in a nice SUV? It's the quickest way to turn a nice vehicle into a beater work truck.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:48 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Read your second paragraph again and tell me how you aren't a 'dude-bro frat-boy'
Geez, what's eating you? Thanks for the insult, but it's laughable. You don't even know me. Let's see, I practically inhale books, I don't hang out in bars very often, I have degrees but was never part of a fraternity, I don't wear backwards baseball caps, I'm not all hairy, I don't high-five a bunch of 'bros,' I don't own / carry a bunch of guns, I don't ooh-rah at football, I don't go "clubbing," I don't read PUA sites, I don't play Call of Duty, I treat women and minorities with respect, I care about our world, the motto at my alma mater was 'the unexamined life is not worth living,' I'm a nerd, I'm soft-spoken, I have progressive values... I can't think of a single way I'm anything like a dude-bro... except for driving a Mustang.
Quote:
You know, if you live in Texas and you consider a mustang to be bloated, you need to wake up and look around you.
What does Texas have to do with anything? What on earth would "waking up and looking around me" do? I'm baffled by the references to the particular state I inhabit.

My opinion is this car is a big, overweight, numb car that wasn't made to turn. It does not feel like an extension of my muscles and my thoughts. I don't like it very much. It does not suit me. I fully admit to making an error in judgment in buying it.
Quote:
Just because you drove a glorified go-kart before this...
Ohhh, now I see what you're all about.

I'd love to have an actual go-kart for commuting, for the record.
Quote:
Next time try a motorcycle, they should provide you with everything you need.
I've owned a number of motorcycles in my life. I currently have in my garage a Ninja 250, a Yam FZ6R, and a Suz SV650S.
Quote:
And what 'intelligent woman' is looking for a 'militantly single' guy?
A woman who isn't looking to have a clingy ankle-biting boyfriend? A woman into casual dating? Lots of them out there.

Okay, maybe "militantly" was the wrong adjective, the point was I don't have a family and I don't need a family car and I don't need a midlife crisis car. How about "contentedly" single, does that make you feel better?

So, why did you bold "blissfully childless?" A lot of dude-bros I've seen do have kids. I don't like kids. I never wanted any kids. I'm glad I don't have kids.

Why did you bold "Taxi service?" I don't like to drive around a bunch of passengers, so?

Last edited by Nepenthe; 02-04-2015 at 04:08 PM..

Old 02-04-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Geez, what's eating you? Thanks for the insult, but it's laughable. You don't even know me. Let's see, I practically inhale books, I don't hang out in bars very often, I have degrees but was never part of a fraternity, I don't wear backwards baseball caps, I'm not all hairy, I don't high-five a bunch of 'bros,' I don't own / carry a bunch of guns, I don't ooh-rah at football, I don't go "clubbing," I don't read PUA sites, I don't play Call of Duty, I treat women and minorities with respect, I care about our world, the motto at my alma mater was 'the unexamined life is not worth living,' I'm a nerd, I'm soft-spoken, I have progressive values... I can't think of a single way I'm anything like a dude-bro... except for driving a Mustang.
What does Texas have to do with anything? What on earth would "waking up and looking around me" do? I'm baffled by the references to the particular state I inhabit.

My opinion is this car is a big, overweight, numb car that wasn't made to turn. It does not feel like an extension of my muscles and my thoughts. I don't like it very much. It does not suit me. I fully admit to making an error in judgment in buying it.
Ohhh, now I see what you're all about.

I'd love to have an actual go-kart for commuting, for the record.
I've owned a number of motorcycles in my life. I currently have in my garage a Ninja 250, a Yam FZ6R, and a Suz SV650S.
A woman who isn't looking to have a clingy ankle-biting boyfriend? A woman into casual dating? Lots of them out there.

Okay, maybe "militantly" was the wrong adjective, the point was I don't have a family and I don't need a family car and I don't need a midlife crisis car. How about "contentedly" single, does that make you feel better?

So, why did you bold "blissfully childless?" A lot of dude-bros I've seen do have kids. I don't like kids. I never wanted any kids. I'm glad I don't have kids.

Why did you bold "Taxi service?" I don't like to drive around a bunch of passengers, so?
We can stop right there. I never said there was anything wrong with being a frat-boy, I'm sorry you took it as an insult.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:03 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
When these cars became so expensive that we old guys were virtually the only ones who could afford them.
I agree with this. I bought my 2011 mustang GT when I was 50 and I'm still driving it and loving it today. For years, I only drove full size pickup trucks with four doors. I had elderly parents and two boys, mom and dad are gone now and my boys are all grown up. I just went back to what I love before kids and being a caretaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive