Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:08 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
$500-$1200 for a Craigslist box of bolts with a bad trans or blown engine (or both)

$3500 for a rebuilt performance auto trans.

$3500 for a rebuilt engine from Jackson.

$3500 for fuel/turbo/etc.

Blows the budget a bit, but even with the stock turbo and basic bolt ons, an auto DSM is deadly on the streets. With all the stuff above you could have a low 12's high 11's car for just under 10g's.
Just make sure you build it right so you are not this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prOQ2gavNRI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 01:20 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Buy any car with a dead battery and put a new battery in it. 100% increase in acceleration for less than a hundred bucks.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:20 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
I'm saving up 10k for a car. My accord is about $3000. I love speed with all my heart. All I need is to pull 0 to 60 as fast as possible. Unfortunately I dont drive manual because I hate driving traffic with a manual car.
What old car should I get? I will continue to modify it when I save more money in the long run? I don't care how it looks, how old it is. As long as it's reliable and doesn't break down every month like BMW.
Find a $500 Fiero chassis, and for the remainder of your budget fit as much engine into the thing as you want. Debate will always rage about whether your better off with a GM V8 swap, or a 3800 Supercharged V6 swap for power, but either can be relatively easily swapped in and have tons of power potential.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:22 PM

9,823 posts, read 11,546,362 times
You Can give up having a having a honda go fast with a automatic Transmission. Honda just doesn't t make a reliable High Output Automatic transmission.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:46 PM

358 posts, read 886,658 times
It might perhaps be a better idea to consider whether a given vehicle can remain in control during the desired acceleration. Merely placing a large motor in a small vehicle will create the opportunity for rapid acceleration accompanied by a complete loss of control and a wreck.

You did not say whether your desire is to accelerate in the vehicle more than once, or only once. If only once, by all mean, place the largest motor int he smallest vehicle you can find and have at it. If more than once, find a vehicle degisned to manage the acceleration you seek to achieve and start with that. Also consider how easy or difficult the vehicle is to work on.

Also increasing booost with turbo or supercharging may result in a short lived motoring experience. Make certain you have a motor that will withstand the impact of the turbo, or supercharged combustion. For me, that meant a new crankshaft, new camshafts, new pistons, new valves, and other whatnots.

Oh and get loads of good advice from people who have done all of this before. The kind of people who can tell you exactly what you need to do and exactly what things are named (and not use the terms whatnots or doohickies).

Just for fun, I have been piecing together a General Motors Corvette fun/racing vehicle. I purchased a rolling chasis with a wrecked body. I obtained a body from a vehicle with a destroyed motor, transmission and suspension. Meanwhile I began rebuilding and modifying an engine that will likely exceed 500 horse power when complete, possibly considerably more than 500s. I have not yet begun the analysis of what is to be done for the transmission.

I am doing this just for fun rather than some effort to meet a budget. I want to learn to essentially build every part of the vehicle myself. I have no time limit and no budget limit, but I doubt I am into this project for much more than $6,000. It may eventually exceed $20,000 by a considerable amount, but that is simply because I refuse to say "No" to any nifty upgrade I learn about. If you were more reasonable, you could probably do this project for $10,000, with patience and careful research/shopping.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:56 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Just make sure you build it right
That goes for any car, chief.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I thought of this car when seeing the post. Spot on. One fellow spent under $100 on the engine but more on the transmission to get into the 11s in the 1/4 mile. Four door as well.

Yeah one of my friends dads had a Grand Prix SC. I got in it one day and jokingly said is this pos fast or what? Yeah it actually was pretty damn fast. I've driven non SC 3.8 GM cars and they have some pick up and go but nothing like a SC one. And the 3.8 is a pretty damn reliable engine.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Just find the cheapest thing you can and push it off a cliff.
no, not enough acceleration or top speed, and the creative customizing when the car stops will probably not be to the owners liking.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:03 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
That goes for any car, chief.
True enough, its just that the Eclipse recommendation made me thing of that specific video. Has to be 10 years old at this point.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:51 PM

101 posts, read 176,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Miata, 5.0 swap.
This got my attention. Small light car + v8. OMG it's going to be hella fast, but im not sure how much for the labor and v8 engine?

I'm surprise no body mentioned z3 turbo/swap. I accidentally came to a car meet one night when I was going to In N Out with my friend. There was a z3 turbo. This Z3 is amazingly fast. My friend's friend's mustang got smoked that night before he reachs 60MPH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive