Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 05:20 PM

174 posts, read 125,294 times

Advertisements

I hit a dog with my wifes new (2014) vehicle a few weeks ago and did about $2,500 in damage and had to drive a rental for a week. Why so much plasting on cars now? Does any manufacture still put steel bumpers on their vehicles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 03:25 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Cheap, light, easy to make into any desired shape ... Plastic bumpers and body panels are here to stay. Buy a Jeep Wrangler and get aftermarket steel bumpers (or the Rubicon hard rock edition which comes with them).

I agree with the premise of the OPs post... Steel bumpers are awesome.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:19 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
Plastic is more easily molded to a desired shape instead of expensive stamping machines, it also is better at energy absorption and dissipation since they pack foam behind them and other sensors.

Don't forget you still have a metal support beam back there it's just embedded where it can do more good for protection. Pedestrian safety also plays a role here.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
It's all about weight remember the automakers have to meet Cafe standards to get every mpg they can. Plastic is lighter it is used to help get those extra mpg. Get ready to see a lot more in the future because every few years the Cafe standards change to get even more mpg on a gallon of gas. Blame Washington not the automakers.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:28 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL84 View Post
I hit a dog with my wifes new (2014) vehicle a few weeks ago and did about $2,500 in damage and had to drive a rental for a week. Why so much plasting on cars now? Does any manufacture still put steel bumpers on their vehicles?
The steel bumpers are behind the plastic. In your case, it was a lot of cosmetic damage that needed replacing. Not sure what kind of car it is but $2500 seems very high.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:30 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,018,675 times
My 2013 10th Anniversary Rubicon came with steel bumpers front and rear as this individual in a Fusion who was texting and driving found out the hard way.

Rear ended by zerind, on Flickr

Aside from the two scuffs of blue paint on the bumper that wiped right off, I was unscathed

Rear ended by zerind, on Flickr

Rear bumper

Creekside Edge Jeep Outing by zerind, on Flickr

Front bumper

2013 Jeep Wrangler 10th Anniversary Rubicon by zerind, on Flickr

Old 02-05-2015, 06:39 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
The steel bumpers are behind the plastic. In your case, it was a lot of cosmetic damage that needed replacing. Not sure what kind of car it is but $2500 seems very high.
I'm glad somebody finally mentioned this. Indeed, steel bumpers are on the car, they are just hidden behind bumper covers - what people typically bumpers today.

The bumper covers are a less expensive and easier way for manufacturers to create flowing designs in the sheet metal, but they are less durable, and even a small bump can mean having to get the cover repainted - usually around $500 itself. If the cover is damaged, that can be another $300 or so, and if the impact is sever enough, the steel bumper may need to be replaced, or its springs, foam, etc...

Also, these days with pedestrian 'safety systems' in cars, even more of a car is designed to deform and collapse rather than be hard and unforgiving. That is why you see so much damage over seemingly small crashes. The cars are designed to give vs take.

Still, $2,500 seems way too high unless there was other body damage. I'm guessing it was a bumper, new headlight, maybe a panel that needed to be banged out and resprayed.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:55 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Any low vehicle, hitting the back end of any vehicle will most likely get damage as shown. And Jeeps are not the only vehicles in the world that have steel bumpers. What were the ratings for the Wrangler by Consumers? "Jeep tops 'Consumer Reports' list of worst car values" Jeep tops 'Consumer Reports' list of worst car values

Don't get me wrong, I owned a Rubi years ago, For rock crawling in my old home, Moab UT, it was fantastic. But even on a trip to Grand Junction, 120 miles away, it could beat you to death and a trip to TN made you think about walking part way.

But they are not a vehicle for most people.

As for steel bumpers, they are really not needed and the plastic with foam and metal do absorb energy during the impact and can help sustain seat belt injuries (not major but still hurt a bit). But if determined for steel bumpers and want a nice ride, get a truck, half-ton series, and they are made like large cars with beds. Some ride like Cadillacs or continentals.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:01 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,018,675 times
Who ever said Jeeps were the only vehicles that had steel bumpers? And to counter your ratings by consumer reports, why do Wranglers consistently, year after year, come out in the top 3 highest resale values? We've had this discussion already in another thread and was merely showing one example of a vehicle with steel bumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Any low vehicle, hitting the back end of any vehicle will most likely get damage as shown. And Jeeps are not the only vehicles in the world that have steel bumpers. What were the ratings for the Wrangler by Consumers? "Jeep tops 'Consumer Reports' list of worst car values" Jeep tops 'Consumer Reports' list of worst car values

Old 02-05-2015, 07:22 AM

302 posts, read 1,155,477 times
As mentioned by several posters above, the vehicles do have a steel or aluminum reinforcement bar behind the fascia, but it generally doesn't extend transversely outboard the frame rails. There's usually an extension or support of a lighter construction in that position and that basically leaves a large void behind the fascia at the corner of the vehicles.

A corner hit (if that's the case here) would easily rack up damage in the amount (ore more) that the OP states. Fascia, headlamp, supports, fender, possible hood and outer tie rod end are typical damage on the front in that type of collision.

A "dead on" collsion would likely result in fascia, license bracket, grille, hood, lower fascia (if equipped) and possible condenser and hood lock damage.

I don't think OP's damage is as bad as either scenario mentioned, as these would both quickly go above $2500 in damages, when you consider parts, labor, paint, rental in the repair on a 2014 vehicle as it would typically be repaired with OEM parts with being so new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive