Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 09:49 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,582 times

Advertisements

ok I have been visiting CA and I like it. i went car shopping a few days ago and the dealer gave me a better deal on the vehicle than i could get back east. so when we went to close on the deal i asked the dealer if i could drive it off the lot he said no you can not and that they would have to put it on a flat bed and give the dmv a bol on and on. don't CA give temporary tags when people buy in ca so that they can take the vehicle to there home state to register it there??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 10:27 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times
No. No temporary tags. If you want tags, you'd need to pay the full year's fees.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:35 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
There's a way around that, you can get title only registration for California, they will give you a temporary permit. You pay California sales tax, drive the car to your home state and in most states (we were in Nevada) they deduct what you paid California sales tax from the sales tax when you register it in your home state. The dealer I bought from was Kia in Davis and they knew exactly how to handle it, it didn't take any longer than a normal transaction and I had no problem registering it in Nevada.

You should also be able to arrange a vehicle transport company to drive it to your home state if that is cheaper.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:48 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Why would you want to buy a car in California to take back to your home state? California regulations cause most new cars to have slightly less horsepower than the same model sold in other states. They're also a fairly high tax rate state.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:39 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Why would you want to buy a car in California to take back to your home state? California regulations cause most new cars to have slightly less horsepower than the same model sold in other states. They're also a fairly high tax rate state.
The selection of higher end cars available in CA is soooo much better, might be a reason. There's around 28 Porsche dealers in CA, it's almost more then the rest of the U.S. combined. If the OP is looking at more common car, I wouldn't buy there because of what you mentioned.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:37 PM

24,470 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
What?, HP is the same, taxes and registration fees are paid in the state the car is going to be registered in. The dealer should be able to sort it out.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:49 AM

I decided against it. since it will be going to a sales tax free state!! and i'm not ready to give up my old beater she's been good to me even though we had some problems but she reliable

Old 02-17-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:
same thing with the borders of az and nv they sell cars that have ca emissions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive