Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 11:16 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
What's the highest mileage car you've seen for sale at a dealership? I stumbled across this today. An Audi dealer is trying to sell a 2000 Audi A4 with 359k miles on it. Seriously? Shouldn't they have just sold it at auction especially since it's an Audi dealership? This is supposedly a luxury vehicle we're talking about here. I'd even be surprised to see a a Ford truck with over 200k miles for sale at a dealership.
No freakin' way. There's only so far I'll allow the "as long as it's maintained properly" thing to sway my decision favorably, and I'm a big fan of buying used. The car I bought before this had 120K on it. Mileage isn't everything, but it is a factor, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 11:38 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
What's the highest mileage car you've seen for sale at a dealership? I stumbled across this today. An Audi dealer is trying to sell a 2000 Audi A4 with 359k miles on it. Seriously? Shouldn't they have just sold it at auction especially since it's an Audi dealership? This is supposedly a luxury vehicle we're talking about here. I'd even be surprised to see a a Ford truck with over 200k miles for sale at a dealership.
If it had 150K miles on it, or if it was another make, it probably would have gone to the auction, or at least relegated to the wholesale lot.

My guess is that they're keeping it around as a novelty. Having a very high-mileage example of the brand they sell in good shape on the lot is a pretty good testimonial, and I'm sure they put nothing in it when they took it in on trade so it's really not costing them anything to keep it around. If it convinces just a couple of people to buy an Audi they will probably make more than they would wholesaling it.

Eventually they will decide that it's served it's purpose and get tired of moving it around and will ship it off, assuming nobody comes along and buys it.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:44 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
I've seen several Pontiac Vibes (Toyota Matrix twin) with over 200K on dealer lots when I was looking. If they were maintained well, they will have another 100K of use in them easy. One had about 50 Carfax records showing every oil changed done on it, and it was well priced. It sold quickly. I ended up buying a 207K mile one that looks as good as my son's 72K mile one and runs just as well, but from a private seller.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
@ Audi dealer,,,2000 Audi A4 with 359k miles on it

Appears to be a sound marketing technique to me, Show the 'apparent' reliability to NEW customers.

They may have no intent to actually sell it.I have seen this type of 'display' at Volvo and Toyota dealers.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:00 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
@ Audi dealer,,,2000 Audi A4 with 359k miles on it...
That's nothing... How about this Mercedes taxi with 4.6 million kilometers on it...

Proverbial Longevity in 4.6 Million Kilometers

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/herita...ghmileageaward

Old 02-06-2015, 08:30 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Plenty of domestic full size trucks/SUVs with >200K miles. For SUVs, heavy duty parts and never being driven off-road = long longevity.

See article for list of long running vehicles currently for sale:
Cars Most Likely To Get To 200,000 Miles - Business Insider

Old 02-07-2015, 12:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
That's nothing... How about this Mercedes taxi with 4.6 million kilometers on it...

Proverbial Longevity in 4.6 Million Kilometers

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/herita...ghmileageaward
Impressive... I think the 'limo taxi' Mercedes we rented in Malaysia might have been this guy's brother! (No room for luggage, 'Boot' was full of spare parts. oh... "Sorry, Air Con not working today" It was only 35C and sweltering humidity (as usual). for a 6 hr ride through the rubber plantations and mtns...)

Here is a Studebaker I drove with 3m miles (850 miles every night through REMOTE WYO, snow / blizzards REALLY dangerous driving weather 9+ months / yr)
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...lion-miles.jpg

That was FUN!!! (most enjoyable (adventuresome) job I ever had).

Gotta LOVE the adventures (detours) in life!

(high mileage award @155k? )

Of my 34 cars... I have only 1 with less that 155k miles (DW's motorhome) Maybe my average is 260k, but I will surely get 1m+ from some of my TDI's and CTD's
(unless I croak first).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive