Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 09:14 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times

Advertisements

I like to get a new car about every four years. I buy rather than lease because I don't like mileage restrictions, and I don't think leases are a good deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 09:17 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
My wife and I make really good money. But we drive our cars until the wheels fall off. Maybe when the last child graduates college, we might splurge on one. But a sailboat sounds a lot more fun to me.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:25 AM

336 posts, read 378,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
My wife and I make really good money. But we drive our cars until the wheels fall off. Maybe when the last child graduates college, we might splurge on one. But a sailboat sounds a lot more fun to me.
I have never understood the desire to spend large sums of money on an item whose primary purpose is to transport one from location A to location B. A car should be comfortable, reliable, and safe, but, beyond that, why bother spending more unless it is necessary to maintain a certain image for your job?

I could afford a new BMW or Lexus. However, I have never purchased/leased a new car and have always kept my car until the economics (maintenance costs, etc.) justified a replacement. My extra money goes toward:

(1) Vacations;
(2) Nicer home or potential vacation home; and/or
(3) Taxable investments (after all 401k/IRA options maxed), to retire sooner.

I suppose if I was retired with enough income to travel the world, owned a vacation home on the beach and another vacation home in the mountains, and had finished putting all kids through college, I might consider a new, expensive car. Until then, it is far down on my list of priorities.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:29 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I like to get a new car about every four years. I buy rather than lease because I don't like mileage restrictions, and I don't think leases are a good deal.
Leading is like financing a car with an option not to own at the end of the finance term. It's a pretty good deal unless your finance terms are bad.

Last edited by IDoPhysicsPhD; 02-08-2015 at 11:59 AM..

Old 02-08-2015, 11:41 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post
I have never understood the desire to spend large sums of money on an item whose primary purpose is to transport one from location A to location B. A car should be comfortable, reliable, and safe, but, beyond that, why bother spending more unless it is necessary to maintain a certain image for your job?

I could afford a new BMW or Lexus. However, I have never purchased/leased a new car and have always kept my car until the economics (maintenance costs, etc.) justified a replacement. My extra money goes toward:

(1) Vacations;
(2) Nicer home or potential vacation home; and/or
(3) Taxable investments (after all 401k/IRA options maxed), to retire sooner.

I suppose if I was retired with enough income to travel the world, owned a vacation home on the beach and another vacation home in the mountains, and had finished putting all kids through college, I might consider a new, expensive car. Until then, it is far down on my list of priorities.
Do you not have hobbies? I don't see how buying another car is any different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Leases generally aren't the best deal. It's like financing a car. The best deal is to buy a car outright. However, if you're going to finance the purchase, it's the same as leasing it.
My head hurts from just reading this. You're very, very, very wrong.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:43 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Oh, definitely.

We have 4 cars and two drivers right now.

And one of my cars is never more than 3 years old.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Leases generally aren't the best deal. It's like financing a car. The best deal is to buy a car outright. However, if you're going to finance the purchase, it's the same as leasing it.
$100k at 0.9% while market giving you back high single digits (or even a CD at 1.5%) = confusion at your comment.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:48 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
$100k at 0.9% while market giving you back high single digits (or even a CD at 1.5%) = confusion at your comment.
$100k is a pretty fancy car, no?

Old 02-08-2015, 11:58 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
My head hurts from just reading this. You're very, very, very wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Fair enough. I should have just said that leasing is the same as financing a car and left it at that. The only difference is the mileage restriction and the option to not purchase the vehicle. But in terms of cost, it's the same.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:17 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,183 times
Quote:
Fair enough. I should have just said that leasing is the same as financing a car and left it at that. The only difference is the mileage restriction and the option to not purchase the vehicle. But in terms of cost, it's the same.
Not even close to the same thing. A lease is financing the agreed upon depreciation over a time period. When you buy your paying interest on the entire loan amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive