Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:27 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattw75 View Post
I test drove the ATS in March last year, ruled it out for 2 reasons. First the 2.5 base engine was buzzy, boring and a mistake for GM in that very good car. That's the engine of the deeply discounted models. Second was the electrostatic radio and climate controls. Drove me crazy trying to use them. I like excellent ergonomics. IMO the 2008-2013 CTS was Caddy's best car since the 1950's (well before my time but I love auto history). The new one (CTS) is overly expensive and tech laden but it is a great car and very sleek.
Um, the turbo 2.0 is the engine in the discounted cars. I believe it makes >270hp. Does Cadillac still offer the 2.5? I don't know why it was ever even an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 10:27 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
The weird thing is that Cadillac has even turned my parents off. They are 70 and pretty well off but they have no desire to have one. Not sure why.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:48 PM

931 posts, read 2,135,040 times
I just replaced my 2003 Cadillac DeVille with a 2015 Buick Verona for 22,000 in Dallas. The only mechanical issue was we replaced 1 battery and 1 air suspension system. I loved the Cadillac and I am falling in love with the Buick Verona cause it gets pretty good gas mileage about 22mpg in city.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:56 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
there are 92,000,000 adult Americans of working age who are not working. Safe to say that there is no market for Cadillacs in that demographic. Most Americans do not understand that most of our stock market is one giant pump and dump. That said, GM's weird part time engines are not going to be accepted by the age group with the ability to buy a Cadillac. Just give us a 327 CI V8 with variable timing and intake port injection like the Corvette had around 1978. That would sell.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:31 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,187 times
Most Caddies go from a "luxury" ride to a ghetto ride in a matter of 3-4 years. They loose their luster in a hurry...

Old 02-11-2015, 09:50 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
The higher pay and bennifits. Starting pay for a GM line worker starts at about $19.28 hour.
Higher than what? Thats 38K a year.. you can't live on that. We have McDonalds fry cooks coming close to that. And out of that you pay dues. Then there is the constant threat of being out of work for strike every contract renewal. Again, why would anyone want that? Certainly nothing to be jealous of.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
They say they are coming out with new ATS much upgraded as the present one haven't sold well.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:04 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
The higher pay and bennifits. Starting pay for a GM line worker starts at about $19.28 hour.

For the caliber of person, and the lack of education (BENNIFITS?) needed to become a line worker, they are GROSSLY overpaid. Throw in the apathy for their job because they know the union will come to their rescue no matter what, the shoddiness of their work, the greed and corruption that is synonymous with all unions, and especially the UAW, I find it unpatriotic and unethical to buy a Detroit car, let alone just plain dumb!

Here is proof of the caliber of worker the UAW represents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVmKyJXHXRE

Here's proof that the union doesn't only guarantees mediocrity, but goes to bat and WINS for the worst of the bunch:

Chrysler Workers Drinking: Fired Employees Reinstated At Jefferson North Plant In Detroit

You can bet that any non union worker at a Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, or any other Asian or European carmaker's plant in the US would have been fired AND STAYED FIRED!

People who exhibit bad behavior at workplaces get fired every day. Businesses that are poorly run, and make shoddy products go bankrupt and out of business every day. WHY doesn't the Detroit auto industry and it's workers have to play by the same rules as everyone else?

Last edited by outafocus; 02-12-2015 at 01:22 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 01:31 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
For the caliber of person, and the lack of education (BENNIFITS?) needed to become a line worker, they are GROSSLY overpaid. Throw in the apathy for their job because they know the union will come to their rescue no matter what, the shoddiness of their work, the greed and corruption that is synonymous with all unions, and especially the UAW, I find it unpatriotic and unethical to buy a Detroit car, let alone just plain dumb!

Here is proof of the caliber of worker the UAW represents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVmKyJXHXRE

Here's proof that the union doesn't only guarantees mediocrity, but goes to bat and WINS for the worst of the bunch:

Chrysler Workers Drinking: Fired Employees Reinstated At Jefferson North Plant In Detroit

You can bet that any non union worker at a Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, or any other Asian or European carmaker's plant in the US would have been fired AND STAYED FIRED!

People who exhibit bad behavior at workplaces get fired every day. Businesses that are poorly run, and make shoddy products go bankrupt and out of business every day. WHY doesn't the Detroit auto industry and it's workers have to play by the same rules as everyone else?
No surprise there.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:41 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
I think the big problem is a loaded ATS comes too close to the pricing on a CTS. So by the time someone can afford the ATS they'll probably spring for the ATS.

And for buyers in the entry luxury market the A4 and 325 are more attractive on the two ends of the spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive