Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 10:28 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times

Advertisements

[quote=V8 Vega;38399349]Hellcats weigh almost 4,500 lbs, thats a lot of lard to get up and moving. Thats why 0 to 60 times are less than expected. Many 60's era muscle cars were 1,000 lbs less.
Hot Rods are all but dead in southern California, the home of hot rodding. No drag strips in the area at all any more, Pomona is only used a couple of times a year and for proffesionals only. I'm old and young people today don't care about cars anywhere near like when I was young. Today anyone who has a hot rod is probably a senior citizen and only drives it to car shows or gatherings. Calif. smog control laws make modifying a car newer than 1975 just so difficult no one bothers. Hot Rod magazine is mostly on the 60's musclecars, street rods and drag race only cars or nostalga articles. The only thing you might call a hot rod being driven nowadays are factory high horsepower cars like Hellcats, Cameros,
Mustangs and Corvetts[/QUOTE

Not so in New Jersey. Plenty of young guys including the tuner crowd are always looking and asking questions. Anything older than 25 years old can be registered with QQ plates which exempts them from inspection. The law says to qualify for QQ plates the car can't be modified but I've never seen that enforced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 10:45 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Hellcats weigh almost 4,500 lbs, thats a lot of lard to get up and moving. Thats why 0 to 60 times are less than expected. Many 60's era muscle cars were 1,000 lbs less.
Hot Rods are all but dead in southern California, the home of hot rodding. No drag strips in the area at all any more, Pomona is only used a couple of times a year and for proffesionals only. I'm old and young people today don't care about cars anywhere near like when I was young. Today anyone who has a hot rod is probably a senior citizen and only drives it to car shows or gatherings. Calif. smog control laws make modifying a car newer than 1975 just so difficult no one bothers. Hot Rod magazine is mostly on the 60's musclecars, street rods and drag race only cars or nostalga articles. The only thing you might call a hot rod being driven nowadays are factory high horsepower cars like Hellcats, Cameros,
Mustangs and Corvetts
Here's some old hod rods from the 80's, I loved these cars back when I was a kid. I'm sure you can appreciate these. I prefer the sedan over the couple though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5POrrKTTYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsb62DEeU9I

Old 02-11-2015, 11:21 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Now this is what I call Impressive! Especially coming from just a 3.8 liter 6cyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcHumlKI5EE

Old 02-11-2015, 11:23 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
I guess it just shows how important the driver is in the equation.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Hellcat owner puts out a video venting his frustrations on Hellcat owners who don't know how to properly drive the car and lose races as a result.

http://youtu.be/NFcqPbok2-c
I do not understand why the owner would care about what other driver's do or do not do with their car.

This must be a spoof video.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Now this is what I call Impressive! Especially coming from just a 3.8 liter 6cyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcHumlKI5EE
LOL, someone sure has wood over GT-R's... Funny thing is that is on the same plateform that the Maxima is, although a lot cooler.

I see GT-R's on a daily basis, there is at least one a day here in the parking lot at work. I work for a supplier to Nissan. They have a sweet lease deal for the Nissan direct people (I'm sure you have to be a certain level engineer) , $1100 a month including insurance for a 6 month lease.
I saw one the other day , driven by a woman and it looks like she must live on a dirt road or something because it looked like she took the car 4 wheeling in the mud.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:44 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I do not understand why the owner would care about what other driver's do or do not do with their car.

This must be a spoof video.
At first I thought it was a spoof video as well until I read the youtube comments and saw him arguing and going back and forth with those criticizing the Hellcat. LOL

Old 02-11-2015, 12:54 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
If you're going to drop a lot of money on a car just for fun why not buy one you can speed around a track in? Buying a car that can go in straight lines pretty fast but handles like a potato seems silly.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
If you're going to drop a lot of money on a car just for fun why not buy one you can speed around a track in? Buying a car that can go in straight lines pretty fast but handles like a potato seems silly.
Seems like it's all a matter of choice. Some like drag cars (I used to) , others like track stuff, other just like to go round and round , that is why there are so many forms of motorsports. A true gear head would never slam another form of motorsports, they may not like it but they appreciate the effort involved.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:17 PM

^^True. Although I do not see any benefit in drifting except the hot women in attendance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive