Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 07:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

I was watching Canadian TV last night, and there was an ad for Dodge Caravan, starting around $19,000. Thats Canadian dollars, which at today's exchange rate is barely over $15,000. US sticker prices on Caravans starts at $22,000, according to on line sourdes. It is my understanding that, owing to trade agreements, Americans can buy new cars in Canada and bring them home without any customs complications.

Would this really work, to get 1/3 off on a new car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 08:19 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,928,108 times
First thing you may want to consider is whether you lose the warranty.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:24 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
Don't forget about taxes/duties for bringing the vehicle into the US.

Importing from Canada » ezbordercrossing.com

Old 02-10-2015, 09:42 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Don't forget about taxes/duties for bringing the vehicle into the US.

Importing from Canada » ezbordercrossing.com
From your link:

Duties and Taxes to Import a Vehicle into the United States

Most vehicles made in Canada or the U.S. are not subject to duties. For foreign-made vehicles you will likely pay the following

Autos – 2.5%

All other applicable taxes are paid when titling and licensing in the state of residence of the purchaser, and are the same regardless of where the car was bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
First thing you may want to consider is whether you lose the warranty.
No, that's the last thing I'd want to consider. I'd gladly give up the warranty on any new car if one-third is knocked off the price. And, for something major, the car can be taken back to Canada for warranty service from the original dealer.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-10-2015 at 09:51 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 09:50 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,928,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
From your link:

Duties and Taxes to Import a Vehicle into the United States

Most vehicles made in Canada or the U.S. are not subject to duties. For foreign-made vehicles you will likely pay the following

Autos – 2.5%

All other applicable taxes are paid when titling and licensing the the state of residence of the purchaser, and are the same regardless of where the car was bought.

No, that's the last think I'd want to consider. I'd gladly give up the warranty on any new car if one-third is knocked off the price. And, for something major, the car can be taken back to Canada for warranty service from the original dealer.
If the warranty is not transferable you void it if it is not registered in Canada. I am sure some who lives near the border may find way to make it work. I am sure there are others who does this.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:07 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I was watching Canadian TV last night, and there was an ad for Dodge Caravan, starting around $19,000. Thats Canadian dollars, which at today's exchange rate is barely over $15,000. US sticker prices on Caravans starts at $22,000, according to on line sourdes. It is my understanding that, owing to trade agreements, Americans can buy new cars in Canada and bring them home without any customs complications.

Would this really work, to get 1/3 off on a new car?
There's no complications, just a pile of paperwork. Also you won't be able to finance the vehicle.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:01 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Interesting...When I sold cars in Minneapolis we would often get guys in from Winnipeg looking for slightly used, made in the USA, luxury SUV's. From what I gathered, the Luxury or VAT Taxes in Canada made it difficult for them to get their hands on a loaded Nissan Armada or Sequoia, and they could either get a better deal in the US or they could get cars they couldn't get or maybe options they couldn't get. The wives would come in to shop at the Mall of America, and the men would go look for a new truck. We never financed one, they were almost invariably cash purchases (in the sense that they would wire us the money.)

Old 02-11-2015, 09:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Yes vat and others make Canadian cost higher. I have to wander tho if that Van is same low price on one sticker price like US ads; used as draw. I know truck guys complain of the high price they pay for trucks now that they just can't drive across the border to US. All you can do is look at real deal on paper.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:52 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
I think, you would have to have a US-spec dash module installed, since US speed limits are posted in MPH rather than KPH. Or that's the excuse the "federal-izers" would use. May be some other issues like side lighting, other trivia.

Somehow, I don't really think you can get 1/3 off by buying in Canada. There has to be a catch. Although, of course you can get prescription drugs much cheaper there.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:28 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Most gauge packs have both KM and MPH. The biggest thing will likely be having the daytime running lights disconnected if they aren't a feature on the US version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive