Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 01:16 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,702,744 times

Advertisements

Start reading Auto Week, Car and Driver, Road and Track, Hot Rod. For car buying try Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book.

Look at parts catalogs with illustrations, Auto Aone, Rock Auto, JC Whitney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 01:35 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,208,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
new driver and new car means very expensive insurance!
Very true.
But last time I checked with my insurance agent, the difference between liability and full coverage wasn't terribly big. Not sure but for me, the difference was about $30 per month?

Old 02-10-2015, 01:47 PM

142 posts, read 675,348 times
Check-out an auto repair book from the library. You can look at the diagrams and parts to familiarize yourself with how a car is basically designed. Except for the unique manufacture designs (multi-link suspension vs double wish-bone, rotary vs piston engines, v-6 vs I-6 vs boxer-engine, etc, etc), you'll get the idea of the mechanics of how cars work.

Now, if you're interested in the user-interface technology (bluetooth, navigation, HD radios, dual-climate controls, etc, etc) within the cabin, you have to determine what you want.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:28 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,215,991 times
Find out which of your friends is a "gearhead", and ask if you can help him/her work on their car(s) on evenings and weekends. Newer cars have fewer user-maintained components, but someone who has an older model would be perfect. My favorites are 60s/70s British sports cars, but anything with carbs, point and rotor distributors would work.

Then get your knuckles dirty, and ask lots of questions.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:10 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,860,667 times
Cars have either four or two doors. The two door cars are usually very small sports cars, which means they go fast.
Do you want a little car like that, or a bigger car with four doors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive