Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 10:20 AM

323 posts, read 376,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Buy a car you can afford with cash. No loan is really the best way to be honest. It is what you can actually afford.
Exactly right. Buy a car with cash, second hand, and get it checked out by a reputable mechanic. Buying a new car is throwing away your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 04:03 PM

743 posts, read 832,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
That much is clear.

Welcome to a lifetime of poverty. The choice to spend your money on replacing an already relatively new vehicle with a newer sportier vehicle is arguably the second worst personal finance decision you could make. The only worse one would be choosing to experiment with heroin and meth.

It doesn't matter how much car you can afford, if you make this decision, you will either regret it for the rest of your life or be too lacking in education to know that it is one of the reasons you will be trapped in poverty. Trying to look rich before becoming rich is the trap that eliminates millions from ever reaching the middle class.
My buddy makes decent money, but is by no means well off. He decided to buy a brand new truck with a MASSIVE monthly payment. I thought this was a bad idea for someone who has a mortgage and other toys to pay off. I mentioned to him that this truck ought to at least last him the next decade, and he said "no I'll keep it until the new redesigned model comes in 5 years then trade it in for that." I asked him if he plans to do that forever, and if he thought about how nice of a house he could afford if he wasn't making a new car payment the rest of his life... well he has become extremely materialistic and has to have every shiny, top of the line thing.

It's sad. He doesn't fathom how not having even a tiny savings is important, and how quickly his high turnover rate job could disappear. His thought process: "make money and spend ALL of it on material possessions"

Isn't this how everyone in history ends up in bankruptcy and thrown back into poverty? How do people never learn?

Old 02-13-2015, 04:12 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
My buddy makes decent money, but is by no means well off. He decided to buy a brand new truck with a MASSIVE monthly payment. I thought this was a bad idea for someone who has a mortgage and other toys to pay off. I mentioned to him that this truck ought to at least last him the next decade, and he said "no I'll keep it until the new redesigned model comes in 5 years then trade it in for that." I asked him if he plans to do that forever, and if he thought about how nice of a house he could afford if he wasn't making a new car payment the rest of his life... well he has become extremely materialistic and has to have every shiny, top of the line thing.

It's sad. He doesn't fathom how not having even a tiny savings is important, and how quickly his high turnover rate job could disappear. His thought process: "make money and spend ALL of it on material possessions"

Isn't this how everyone in history ends up in bankruptcy and thrown back into poverty? How do people never learn?

That would be growing up, being mature. 'ya think ? Hindsight is 20/20.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:25 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
6} YOU DO REALIZE it will DROP in value IMMEDIATELY as soon as you drive a brand new one off the lot? IT's called depreciation, about $3-4K worth in that first year as soon as you drive it off the lot.{we just paid $18K for a brand new car less than a year ago, and it is now worth only $12-13K BUT we will keep it for 12 or so years
ALL cars depreciate as soon as you take ownership. Not just new ones, used cars do too, and at a similar rate. Go look at the difference between KBB retail and trade in value on any used car - there's your depreciation.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:53 PM

144 posts, read 406,696 times
Is nobody reading what I'm saying?

I already have calculated everything, and the very basic costs me $84/month. I don't know what "high insurance costs for sporty cars" are you talking about, but this is what I can pay right now. All I need to do right now is put my credit card info and it's going to be done.

I'm currently paying $83/month for my 2003 Mustang GT V8. I got it in the same place, the exact same way. Also, I'm not trying to replace any insurance; I did not login into my account. I just calculated this as a new insurance plan.

Why are you guys arguing with me? I've done the insurance thing, I bought it before, I KNOW how to buy car insurance. THAT is what it costs for my case. And if my old V8 Mustang costs that much, it only makes sense that a NEWER, and SAFER car with just a bit more power and V6 instead will cost about as much, at least for the basic plan.

In terms of buying a car, you convinced me. I'm not getting it, it makes sense. I've already said that. Not going to get a new car, especially not the Mustang I wanted, because it doesn't make sense based on what some people here said. I appreciate those with good advise and no unnecessary BS.

However, even then, I don't consider $300/month for 3 years a MASSIVE monthly payment and a big stretch. I'm not looking to start any families, let alone get kids or a mortgage. I do predict my side business to grow from 1k-1.5k a month to about 3k/month by the end of the year. I think I know my plans better than anybody on this thread. Damn the egos of some people. All I asked was if you can educate me on how purchasing a car on loan works and if I can afford it based on current numbers I gave you, but you started giving me life advice, which is something nobody asked you.

Thanks. Consider this closed. Wow, a bunch of know-it-alls...

Last edited by Ronaldon; 02-13-2015 at 06:05 PM..

Old 02-13-2015, 06:45 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
ALL cars depreciate as soon as you take ownership. Not just new ones, used cars do too, and at a similar rate. Go look at the difference between KBB retail and trade in value on any used car - there's your depreciation.
Uh, DUH! He was referring to buying a brand new 2015 car, so I used "new" as an example.
We also keep our cars at least 12+ years, thereby minimizing depreciation, but I didn't state that either. We traded in a 16 year old '98 on the '14 we just bought I used as the depreciation example, too, no need to point that out...
I think from his post, though, he got all the "right ideas" from posters here.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:36 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
Oh my God, still paying for a 2003. Talk about 12 Years a Slave.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:54 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldon View Post

However, even then, I don't consider $300/month for 3 years a MASSIVE monthly payment and a big stretch. I'm not looking to start any families, let alone get kids or a mortgage. I do predict my side business to grow from 1k-1.5k a month to about 3k/month by the end of the year. I think I know my plans better than anybody on this thread. Damn the egos of some people. All I asked was if you can educate me on how purchasing a car on loan works and if I can afford it based on current numbers I gave you, but you started giving me life advice, which is something nobody asked you.

Ronaldon:
I see you have closed the matter. One final thought:
Sorry, but when you ask a quesiton on a forum, you are going to get answers, whether you like them or not. From all spectrums of "my way is right" to "this is what I did" to "this is what to think of"....to "this iS MY expereince" {how I tried to relate it to you.}

Sorry you don't like the avice or the internal bickering that may often go on, but that is how life works. If your info comes up different, you don't have to go by other's experience, but be prepared if your info DOES turn out more like their info in the end. {I use your insurance rate, here, ok maybe YOU got a $84/m on your car and on a new one, but that is NOT the general experience of the general population across the country who are trying to HELP you..to get an accurate one, you DO need to call the insurance man-he knows more than all of us with the pertinent info, and he will gladly take your payment, be it $84/m or $300/m. for your new mustang, which I see you decided not to get. I say smart move!
If you don't want to have that, then don't ask a question. Simple. But then you get no answers!
Simple!

Old 02-13-2015, 11:27 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
I'm currently paying $83/month for my 2003 Mustang GT V8. I got it in the same place, the exact same way. Also, I'm not trying to replace any insurance; I did not login into my account. I just calculated this as a new insurance plan.

Why are you guys arguing with me? I've done the insurance thing, I bought it before, I KNOW how to buy car insurance. THAT is what it costs for my case. And if my old V8 Mustang costs that much, it only makes sense that a NEWER, and SAFER car with just a bit more power and V6 instead will cost about as much, at least for the basic plan.
So you are saying that a brand new $30k Mustang will cost the same to insure as a 12-yo $5k Mustang?

Old 02-13-2015, 11:36 PM

743 posts, read 832,309 times
Quote:

I already have calculated everything, and the very basic costs me $84/month. I don't know what "high insurance costs for sporty cars" are you talking about, but this is what I can pay right now. All I need to do right now is put my credit card info and it's going to be done.

You know but you don't know? What?! And we are the know it alls....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive