Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 03:23 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Honda/Acura engines are just as similar for identical displacement as Toyota/Lexus are.

The Acura version always has a bit more power, higher compression, and requires premium fuel. The internals are not the same.
That's true, but to average joe/sue on the street, it is still the same 3L-ish V6 that's in the Accord or Pilot. And they don't offer a V8 which is a main tenant of my point which you conveniently left out. Most Lexus sold are V6 powered FWDs, but it doesn't matter because they get held in higher regard with the public with the V8's and RWDs and flagship cars that Lexus makes. Acuras don't get that halo effect because they don't offer it.

Quote:
Same applies to many Toyota/Lexus siblings. Lexus has more unique powerplants. But Lexus hybrids are derived from Prius components. A Lexus V8 is related to Toyota's DOHC V8s used in the trucks and the Sequoia.
So. Truck buyers are different. Someone looking for a luxury car doesn't worry about what a truck has under the hood. Most Americans assume it has to be a V8 to be worth anything. And have you priced a Landcruiser lately? No one is going to accuse a vehicle associated with it as being cheap. The ELR will get called out all the time for being an expensive Volt. Lexus failed miserably with the HS, and the CT isn't doing so hot - but they don't get the same sort of ribbing or derision from the press over it - I don't think.

Being associated with the Prius, the most successful hybrid on the planet and a brand on to itself is not a bad thing. Hybrid Synergy Drive.

Quote:
But the OP must just not read very well. Toyota and Lexus are compared all the time. Consumer Reports often says you can buy an Avalon for less than an ES350 for similar capability.
Maybe but CR kind of sucks. Any luxury brand owner is going to defend his/her purchase, but Lexus owners, I believe, are the most defensive about this - and again the brand has earned their right to be.

Quote:
Nissan/Infiniti is compared - though there are no RWD Nissan cars. The V6 engines are similar, but not the same (like Honda/Acura).
Slapping different cams and higher compression pistons and a new fuel map on a Nissan VQ does not make it "different." I agree they are not the same, but people that point this out are very selective about what brands they will allow this sort of privilege too. That's what the OP is getting at. Toyota is genius, whereas a brand like GM or Honda using High Features and J-series engines in everything is critiqued and its called out all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 03:25 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,819,186 times
Acuras are high end Hondas, the name does not exist in Japan, much like Lexus. They figure no one in the usa is going to buy a honda with that price tag, so they made a "secondary" company just for us to sell the luxury honda models, its that simple. Vw/audi, not the same, sure some things might swap, but vw own audi, so it's no surprise. Acuras however are just Hondas, in japan you will see them as hondas, Honda Integra, Honda nsx...

I think it was Toyota who introduced their lexus brand to japan, but those were just high end toyotas. The sc400- Supra, IS300- Soarer, is400- altezza. Nissan did the same thing more or less.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I think it was Toyota who introduced their lexus brand to japan, but those were just high end toyotas.
Well, yes - but there's a little more to it. Most all Lexus existed as Toyotas before they brand was introduced. But now the Lexus brand has existed long enough so that the Toyota equivalents no longer exist and some models new to the world are here that are Lexus only. They still market a couple of Toyotas over there that are just as high end or considered higher then ANY Lexus - like the Crown Majesta and Century.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
When they don't do that to other auto manufacturers like Audi/VW, Toyota/Lexus, Chevy/Buick/Cadillac etc.
Yes they do.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:40 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,819,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Well, yes - but there's a little more to it. Most all Lexus existed as Toyotas before they brand was introduced. But now the Lexus brand has existed long enough so that the Toyota equivalents no longer exist and some models new to the world are here that are Lexus only. They still market a couple of Toyotas over there that are just as high end or considered higher then ANY Lexus - like the Crown Majesta and Century.
Well I can't remember which of the three actually introduced their american brand in japan, probably nissan. Most of the lexus models are high end toyotas, I haven't kept up with new cars, and the sc400 was a bad example, but the Toyota Altezza is a good example, being the Lexus IS300. There are u.s. only models here, I'm sure as the brand was for the u.s. to begin with. They might not be toyota here, they might be scion.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Well I can't remember which of the three actually introduced their american brand in japan, probably nissan. Most of the lexus models are high end toyotas, I haven't kept up with new cars, and the sc400 was a bad example, but the Toyota Altezza is a good example, being the Lexus IS300. There are u.s. only models here, I'm sure as the brand was for the u.s. to begin with. They might not be toyota here, they might be scion.
Acura does not exist in Japan. Infiniti came to Japan in 2013. Lexus came to Japan in 2005.

Lexus - Toyota:

IS - Altezza
ES - Windom
GS - Aristo
LS - Celsior
RX - Harrier
GX - Landcruiser Prado
LX - Landcruiser
HS - Sai

The CT and NX have a lot in common with the Alphard and Rav4, but do have premium content and different sheetmetal and weren't (initially) badge swaps like the cars above. And of course the LFA is all its own.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Lexus has done a better job of establishing itself as a premier luxury brand and distancing itself from its Toyota roots then Honda/Acura has.

A lot of it is well deserved because most of Lexus' lineup are RWD vehicles some which offer V8's as opposed to all of Acura's (except the NSX) being FWD based and using the same engines that Honda uses.

However, the vast majority of Lexus sold are the ES and RX which are both Camry platform based. (An Avalon is a stretched Camry) but again, perception is reality and Lexus is a better more established luxury brand so they will get a pass where an H/A will not.
Not always .Toyota often offers the same engines that Lexus did the year before. lots of cross over parts especially in small vehicles. In fact some of Lexus smaller vehicle are like some BMW's ;not seen a anything but another compact to market to that market really. Its often only people perception really.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:15 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,387,480 times
People do compare all of those.

Mostly because all of the brothers/sisters share engines, chassis, technology, etc.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:11 PM

431 posts, read 599,675 times
Bear in mind that the Acura nameplate doesn't exist outside of the US. In other countries, their cars are badged and sold as Hondas. I used to own a Honda NSX when I lived in the UK. Took me a while to understand why I couldn't find any when I moved to the US. Nissan/Infiniti, Toyota/Lexus and VW/Audi do are sold outside of the US.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:14 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,161,173 times
It is simple, Acura is second tier "luxury" at best when compared to Audi & Lexus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive