Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 03:57 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Honda/Acura engines are just as similar for identical displacement as Toyota/Lexus are.

The Acura version always has a bit more power, higher compression, and requires premium fuel. The internals are not the same.

Same applies to many Toyota/Lexus siblings. Lexus has more unique powerplants. But Lexus hybrids are derived from Prius components. A Lexus V8 is related to Toyota's DOHC V8s used in the trucks and the Sequoia.

But the OP must just not read very well. Toyota and Lexus are compared all the time. Consumer Reports often says you can buy an Avalon for less than an ES350 for similar capability.

VW/Audi is compared.

Nissan/Infiniti is compared - though there are no RWD Nissan cars. The V6 engines are similar, but not the same (like Honda/Acura).
Where do you get this no rwd nissan from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The main reason is because Honda tops out at the premium mid-size segment, so there is no halo car to compete with the full luxury brands of other manufacturers. Lexus has the LS and Infiniti attempts to compete with a flagship luxury car, even if it continually lags behind the competition. Acura's top model is comparable to a Mercedes E, Audi A6, etc., the beginning of the luxury ranges for those manufacturers. Since Acura does not have the cachet of a full-size luxury car, people tend to compare it more with the Honda-branded vehicles. However, I agree that other manufacturers that share components between premium and mass market vehicles do receive similar comparisons, but have a larger range of vehicles upon which to draw to enhance the perception of the brand, something that Honda lacks with Acura.
Maybe they learned their lesson with the Vigor...

Old 02-14-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
A lot of good points have been made in this thread. However, I'm still not sold on the OP's original premise.

It does appear that the Japanese lux brands in general may be subject to more scrutiny than their European counterparts, and for good reason. By nature (with a few exceptions) any Acura/Lexus/Infiniti really is nothing more than a dressed up Honda/Toyota/Nissan. For Example:

https://www.google.com/search?q=toyo...%3B2048%3B1360

Google Image Result for http://carboncube.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/2015-lexus-es-350.jpg

Almost every Acura/Lexus/Infiniti shares a platform, engine and just about an everything other than the badge with an almost identical mass-market car. The similarities make them competitors for the same buyers and natural targets for comparison. There may be some aesthetic difference between an ES350 and a Camry XLE V-6, but they don't really feel different.

On the other hand, VW Auto Group mixes and matches LOTS components throughout five or so their product lines ranging from Golf to Gallardo. Yet, they manage to maintain individual brand identity and feel. These cars may share a Chassis and much more, but you'd never confuse one with the other:

Google Image Result for http://www.netcarshow.com/Volkswagen-Jetta-2015-wallpaper.jpg

Google Image Result for http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2015-audi-a3_100423127_m.jpg

I just don't see where Acura/Honda are compared any more than Lexus/Toyota and Infiniti/Honda.
Duh, this is the spit we've been saying, and have established. acuras are hondas rebadged acura for our market, same for infiniti, and lexus. A low end audi might share underpinning with a vw whatever but they own them now- still not the same as a Honda Integra. Yeah the Bentley Arnage uses VW w12, and the R8 uses a lambo v10, and porsche... well... should've supplied that new retro beatle with a boxter drivetrain- at least for a superbeatle model.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:37 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Their flagship sedan, the RLX (formerly just RL) has been lagging in sales. Frankly I don't think I've ever seen one on the road. I see more Equus than RLX.

They need to develop a V8
I was born Dec. 25, 1992 and have ridden in an RLX that someone had

Old 02-15-2015, 01:10 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Acuras are VERY nice, but kind of off the beaten path. They really need to step up the advertising game. A full size SUV above the MDX with a Twin-Turbo V6 would do quite well.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:27 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
^This. An Acura full size SUV would do quite well. What would they call it?

I'm a HUGE fan of Honda and Acura, but I think they need to offer a V8, especially if it's going to be in a full size SUV. Also a high end luxury sedan like the Mercedes S Class. The RLX is, to me, a bit above the E class (I've ridden in both, and both thoroughly wowed me)

Old 02-15-2015, 06:48 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
But when they review the Lexus ES350 they never compare it to a Avalon. All car companies reuse parts, chassis etc. Like for like no Honda can even compare to an Acura.

The Honda and Acura have the same engine built in the same plant.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:42 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
I think some of the new most expensive Acura TLXs are more than just a luxury Accord. The new super-handling-AWD 9 speed transmissions aren't available in the Accord which is still a 6 speed fwd. Both nice reliable cars though.
I have seen car critics in the auto magazines compare the Lexus ES 350 to the Avalon Limited and even argue than the avalon limited is a better buy.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:22 PM

861 posts, read 1,335,242 times
Hondas and Acuras are much more interchangeable than other sister brands. I've owned Acura/Honda and they are closer in performance & cost than Lexus/Toyota, which I've also owned.

Civic/ILX
Accord/TLX
CR-V/RDX
Pilot/MDX

Old 02-15-2015, 09:44 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
I also agree that Acura should have built a V8 along time ago, Maybe the Ridgeline would have been more successful. On the other hand, I owned a 6 cyl. Accord and sold it before the infamous transmission problems arose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive