Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 03:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

Have family friend who was transferred by military to Alaska. In order for military to ship it he had install snow type tires and buy one of those dip stick engine heaters. A local tire/auto center has to order them for him being as they do not sell them locally. He then had to drive it to Dallas ;where had to be washed before turning over to transporter to be wrapped and transported for delivery by ship. I also remember here when father only ran water with a water pump lube/rust inhibernator most of year and flushed and filled with Anti freeze as winter approached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 07:03 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,603,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
well I am a city-slicker from the Northeast and not used to these wicked temps, but I believe another good thing is to take my auto out for a good long ride every once in a while. Particularly since all of my driving is within 5-10 miles, stop-and-go.
To clean the engine.
Do you agree?
esp. in this cold when things might get slovenly.
Not a bad idea, it won't clean the engine though. I am up in NW Iowa near MN and SD. When it gets below 10F here, I add a bottle of HEET fuel treatment to a full tank of gasoline for my SUV. HEET is like an antifreeze for the fuel system. Using a good battery with 750 cold cranking amps. Also custom made a battery blanket from a canvas cover and insulation. Always keep the battery terminals and clamps clean and free of any corrosion. This helps to extend battery life. I also use a 2.8W solar powered trickle charger if the vehicle isn't used for an extended amount of time. Always starts right up when parked outside, even on the coldest mornings.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:15 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
sounds crazy,but I'm serious.
I know someone that threw a blanket over their hood during real cold weather.
...well.. real cold is relative depending on where you live.
in NJ, it is forecast to be below zero tonite and tomorrow, which is unusually cold.

I think the thing that can happen is a frozen block? whatever that is.
don't know if that is why this person was using a blanket.

I'm not planning to do it, sounds too weird.
I don't have option of a garage, so I'll take my chance.
but I am curious.

Yes. Matter of fact, we had engines normally covered with a fufajka, a gauze filled warm jacket, very popular in Russia/USSR. As far as you have it tucked solid away from any moving parts. Keeps engine warm and engine never gets hot enough to set it on fire.
USSR standard issue trucks had OEM issue gauze filled entire hood covers. Those were custom shaped to fit a particular vehicle hood shape.
We also had Russia made vehicles equipped with metal "shades" in front of radiator, operated by a lever from the cabin inside. It was to control air flow through radiator.

Blankets are still made and sold:

Êóïèòü àâòîîäåÿëî àâòîòåïëî - óòåïëèòåëü äëÿ äâèãàòåëÿ

Old 02-17-2015, 08:49 AM

358 posts, read 886,537 times
Hang a pair of fuzzy dice on the mirror. It will work the same for keeping your engine warm, and it is cheaper. In addition, you will impress 100 young ladies at bowling alleys with fuzzy dice, but they will not be impressed by a blanket.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:04 PM

780 posts, read 2,924,920 times
What's next? A pillow under each tire?

Old 02-18-2015, 03:16 PM

273 posts, read 240,213 times
That's why I have a 100' 120v extension cord ran out of my garage and into my driveway as we speak right now......

Behold the electric sump block heater......available on diesel packaged trucks.

You just plug the hanging male end into the female power supply like you would any other item.

You get fast, smooth start ups and less wear on your glow plugs because the warm up time is greatly reduced.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:45 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
The only thing a blanket on your car will do is help you get all the snow off since when you pull the blanket off, all the snow will come with. This beats brushing the car and scraping the glass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive